What I don't get about the MOH "controversy"

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
This isn't the first time you get to play as a terrorist in a game.
My question is:
Would they really prefer it if you played as all US or allied soldiers killing each other?

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
GonzoGamer said:
This isn't the first time you get to play as a terrorist in a game.
My question is:
Would they really prefer it if you played as all US or allied soldiers killing each other?
i agreed is it any different to playing as a fictional arabic terrorist group, as soon as you put a real name to it, it all of a sudden becomes a sensitive issue.

LaughingAtlas

Nov 18, 2009
I looked it up and apparently you only (can) play as the Taliban in multiplayer, nothing more than switching jerseys from match to match. It seems like getting up in arms about TF 2 if you're fond of the color red, but deeply resentful of the color blue.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
LaughingAtlas said:
I looked it up and apparently you only (can) play as the Taliban in multiplayer, nothing more than switching jerseys from match to match. It seems like getting up in arms about TF 2 if you're fond of the color red, but deeply resentful of the color blue.
i like your analogy

we hate all blue people

Serenegoose

Faerie girl in hiding
Mar 17, 2009
It's cool how nobody is bothered that you can play as the Nazis in the multiplayer component of pretty much every WW2 game ever. Good to know that in the scheme of things, being a Nazi is OK compared to being a Muslim.

Treeinthewoods

May 14, 2010
Nobody seemed to care that you could play as a Nazi in World at War, is being a terrorist worst then being a Nazi?

Seriously, it's multiplayer. It's not like you are playing as a suicide bomber in the middle of a crowded market or anything that serious.

Apr 28, 2008
I don't understand it either. You play as other terrorist organizations in other games, most likely supposed to be the Taliban only with a different name.

Its just stupid.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
I wouldn't care, Im playing as russian terrorists in MW2, so I wouldn't care if I play as taliban in MOH.

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
Didn't counter-strike use 4 real life CS forces and 4 real life terrorist groups if you read the text when picking a character model?

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Exactly what I thought. Nobody player gives a damn who they are, it's about beating the other team regardless.

I sincerely doubt you'll find people hating humanity after fighting them in Gears of War's multiplayer, or being an Elite in Halo.

Vestsao

Aug 24, 2009
You can play as the Nazis in World at War which even features a little climax at a rally with Hitler with the crowd cheering after his onslaught of crowd-provoking words! Nobody really complained when you were attaining victory for the Nazis.

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
Replace "controversy" with "marketing ploy" and you will soon understand.

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
I think the point the miltary people were making was that it is too soon. Nazis were over 80 years ago. This is a present issue. And instead of upsetting one member of the armed forces they decided to pull it.

Obviously small minded people dont see the big picture, but their you go. This is a non issue, some people doing what they think is in the best intersts of their customers.

Hats off to them.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
teisjm said:
Didn't counter-strike use 4 real life CS forces and 4 real life terrorist groups if you read the text when picking a character model?
Yea, I used to play that at the internet cafe (back when I couldn't afford a computer; not one you could play games on anyway) and I think you're right.
However (and correct me if I'm wrong) I'm pretty sure that CS was a free mod and not an actual game you buy.
Legion said:
Exactly what I thought. Nobody player gives a damn who they are, it's about beating the other team regardless.

I sincerely doubt you'll find people hating humanity after fighting them in Gears of War's multiplayer, or being an Elite in Halo.
I do, but not any more than I would normally.

FinalDream said:
Replace "controversy" with "marketing ploy" and you will soon understand.
I think you hit the nail on the head there but it makes me wonder, is Jack Thompson really some douche that thinks he knows what's best for everyone or is he a marketing tool. How much does it cost to hire him to protest your game?

coolman9899

May 20, 2010
Serenegoose said:
It's cool how nobody is bothered that you can play as the Nazis in the multiplayer component of pretty much every WW2 game ever. Good to know that in the scheme of things, being a Nazi is OK compared to being a Muslim.

well ww2 isnt current there is a differance