What, if anything, would make you pay?

Bellvedere

Jul 31, 2008
Barbas said:
No matter what was added, I would probably never pay a monthly subscription fee, because I have the tendency to lose interest and drift away from things easily, for weeks or months at a time. I manage finances badly, so if I started a subscription, I would likely forget about it for a long time and find out after a year away from the game that I've been losing a fair amount of money.
Pretty much the same boat. I never feel like I'm getting good value out of a monthly sub because I want to play/do other stuff for long periods of time but I don't necessarily want no access at all to a sub game. I can also never anticipate when I should unsub. Sometimes stuff is unexpectedly distracting, sometimes I know I'm going to be busy but it occurs over an awkward time in billing periods. It's also hard to call whether it would be better value for money to pick up a longer sub when I have no idea for how long a game will hold my interest.

The prices aren't really all that unreasonable and I appreciate that they have upkeep costs. I just feel guilty about potentially wasting money.

Maybe a more flexible subscription model would help?

scapefly

Nov 2, 2013
well I would pay to get more worlds or features unlocked - thats what a premium account often does so I pretty much have a premium account in every game i play that offers one...
my question is how do you guys pay for these updates / upgrades / online items / whatever? I am trying to figure out what the most diverse payment method is in the gaming world - meaning what method of payment is accepted on most platforms...?

Anthony Corrigan

Jul 28, 2011
it shouldn't be needed. A game should be priced so it makes money and maintains its servers up front. If that means I pay $200 for a game well then that's ok, you price it at $200 and I will make a determination as to whether the game is worth it or not OR you charge only a subscription. If you expect me to buy the game and then pay then get stuffed

Tsukuyomi

May 28, 2011
scapefly said:
well I would pay to get more worlds or features unlocked - thats what a premium account often does so I pretty much have a premium account in every game i play that offers one...
my question is how do you guys pay for these updates / upgrades / online items / whatever? I am trying to figure out what the most diverse payment method is in the gaming world - meaning what method of payment is accepted on most platforms...?
I suspect the credit card is probably the most accepted over every platform, if I had to guess. Second is probably pre-payment options such as WoW Game-cards, Riot Point cards, Microsoft Point cards, etc. I see tons of them every time I hit a gas-station or Walmart. At Walmart I also see times where the area has been rather ransacked and most of the cards are gone, so at least someone is buying them. Paypal is probably up there too, though I don't know how it works so I can't say.

Anthony Corrigan said:
it shouldn't be needed. A game should be priced so it makes money and maintains its servers up front. If that means I pay $200 for a game well then that's ok, you price it at $200 and I will make a determination as to whether the game is worth it or not OR you charge only a subscription. If you expect me to buy the game and then pay then get stuffed
I understand where you're coming from but I also have a few counter-points...

1: $200 is a pretty hefty price-tag in the world today, and especially in the gaming community. Just look at how many people in this thread alone point out that with their $15 they could buy a ton of things instead of a month of an MMO. The gaming community at large tends to be a frugal lot, and while there's nothing wrong with that, any game developer who isn't totally oblivious likely knows this. Unless they have a 100% top-notch never-going-to-make-anyone-unhappy-ever product I don't think many would market such a price. Collector's Editions go for that much on occasion, yes. But I suspect game developers know that the people who drop that kind of money are the exception over the rule.

2: Granted that is a lot of money up front, and odds are the company would more than break even on the game, but if we're talking about an MMO, one has to consider the lifespan of the game. If content patches and expansions are going to be built and the lifespan of the game is expected to be a decade...well...that money may not be enough. It may certainly last a long time, but bills and employees still need to be paid and typically neither one has a tendency to become cheaper. They may even go a decade or two without charging a dime or needing additional funding, but it seems unlikely that that money would last forever. Most businesses would use the excess to expand their business, not just to keep that game running. Odds are chunks of that money would pay for other games to be launched and maintained. If you end up like Blizzard and have three flagship titles pulling at that money, dunno how long that wad of cash would last.

Like I said, I understand where you're coming from, but I also see some flaws there too.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Nothing would make me buy into a subscription model of gaming.

I feel that I should be dedicated if I have to pay for something like this and I'm not. There are few games where I'll be consumed to the point that I will play it until I am finished and with MMORPGS I may play a lot for a short while, but not enough for me to actually pay a subscription.

For those who are interested in it I am sure that it may be worth it, but I simply don't have the time to play a game like that.

Davey Woo

Jan 9, 2009
WoW just doesn't do anything for me. I've tried a trial twice and neither time did I think afterwards that I wanted to invest more time or any money into it. Even if it was a one-time fee I still wouldn't get it. If it was entirely free I'd think about it, but only because my friends are all playing it again, leaving me on League of Legends by myself.

lysergic

Nov 12, 2013
scapefly said:
i agree, it is my money, so why not? Played WoW and LoL for while and i bought upgrades now and then. To me it is part of the fun. And if you like a game and invest some money, you support the developers, much like when you buy cds you actually support the musician.
As far as payment, i go for prepaid options, liek Tsukuyomi said. I or buy me on the game-related prepaidcard or i use paysafecard, which would be then a more universal solution.
But you could also use skrill or Paypal, there are so many options nowadays, it is hard to say which one is the best. I prefer anonymous and not bank related. But then again, that is me.

scapefly

Nov 2, 2013
@Davey - That is really interesting - there are either dedicated LoL Fans and if they dont play that then they love WoW! hahaha
@Yopaz - this i understand and therefore only pay buy "subscriptions" for a limited time and of course only if i actually LIKE the game and play it often - otherwise never.
@Tsukuyomi - yes I suppose you are right even though I would have put the CC on second place...

Magix

Oct 19, 2013
KarmaTheAlligator said:
New content every month. If I'm paying every month, there better be a good reason for it.
But when you think about it, you're paying 15 euros a month. A full priced release like GW2 would be 60 euros. So really if you're paying 15 euros every month, you should be getting new content every FOUR months, as per standard

I didn't get 4 months of gameplay out of GW2. If I pay for a p2p game every month for 4 months, presumably it's because I wanted to play for those 4 months. Which would be worth it.

Of course, it gets more expensive after that.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Australian servers, in all honesty. As far as I know, no large MMO offers them. And I'm sick of latency. I stopped subscribing to ToR when they dropped the Aussie servers, and I'd be willing to seriously consider any halfway decent MMO that had them.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
I never paid for a game every month or even played a normal MMO game.
The only game I played is Path of Exiled and you don't needed to pay anything.

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
Magix said:
KarmaTheAlligator said:
New content every month. If I'm paying every month, there better be a good reason for it.
But when you think about it, you're paying 15 euros a month. A full priced release like GW2 would be 60 euros. So really if you're paying 15 euros every month, you should be getting new content every FOUR months, as per standard

I didn't get 4 months of gameplay out of GW2. If I pay for a p2p game every month for 4 months, presumably it's because I wanted to play for those 4 months. Which would be worth it.

Of course, it gets more expensive after that.
I'm not asking for a full game's worth every month, I'm not that stupid. Not even asking for that much every 4 months. I just want to see something that would show that my money is going somewhere into the game and not just into the pockets of the devs while they forget about the game.

scapefly

Nov 2, 2013
KarmaTheAlligator said:
Magix said:
KarmaTheAlligator said:
I'm not asking for a full game's worth every month, I'm not that stupid. Not even asking for that much every 4 months. I just want to see something that would show that my money is going somewhere into the game and not just into the pockets of the devs while they forget about the game.
Yes, this is true, of course... but if you thought like that about everything then you would end up not paying for anything because there is always scepticism involved in everything we do especially when it involves money! ;P

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
scapefly said:
KarmaTheAlligator said:
Magix said:
KarmaTheAlligator said:
Yes, this is true, of course... but if you thought like that about everything then you would end up not paying for anything because there is always scepticism involved in everything we do especially when it involves money! ;P
Well, in regards to MMOs, I've stopped playing any years ago, and any other game I play I only get DLC if I feel it's worth it in regards to content/price. As for games themselves, I wait until they're on sale, or have had a massive price cut. Some call me cheap because of that, I say I don't have a lot of money to spend on anything other than essentials, so yeah, I want every cent of mine to buy something that'll keep me going.

CannibalCorpses

Aug 21, 2011
Nothing could make me pay a subscription fee to play a game. If i'm expected to pay for something that as yet doesn't exist then i consider myself investing and with all investments i expect some financial returns or else the investment is worthless. I also object to paying subscriptions for something i need to pay other subscriptions for...to play wow i need to buy the original game, the expansions, the subscription fee, the telephone line rental and the broadband costs. That is a shit load of expense for a pretty poor game.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
No, I really don't think there is anything that would make me want to pay every month, especially something like $15. Some months I don't play much and every couple of months I want to play something different.
KarmaTheAlligator said:
scapefly said:
KarmaTheAlligator said:
Magix said:
KarmaTheAlligator said:
Well, in regards to MMOs, I've stopped playing any years ago, and any other game I play I only get DLC if I feel it's worth it in regards to content/price. As for games themselves, I wait until they're on sale, or have had a massive price cut. Some call me cheap because of that, I say I don't have a lot of money to spend on anything other than essentials, so yeah, I want every cent of mine to buy something that'll keep me going.
I think that's actually completely reasonable, even if you're rich; people don't get rich by wasting money. The only really good value dlc I've seen this gen was for the Borderlands games and Fallout 3; it seemed like a good amount of content for $10. There were new areas to explore (sometimes huge areas like in General Knoxx or Point Lookout), new missions, new things to kill, and new things to play with. I'm still dreading how much R* is going to charge if the add a new island to GTA V; they charged $20 for some new missions and toys in gta4.

scapefly

Nov 2, 2013
First of all, Happy new year - I hope you all had nice holidays!
Back to work it is...
@Gonzo true - borderlands 1 and 2 (especially 2) was definitely worth every penny. And it is exactly THESE games that I support - but the "problem" is that you dont know this until you try.. at least i dont because i dont believe in reviews - i think they are generally all rigged and bought.
@Cannibal - i def see your point, especially if your not a fan...

Mike Fang

Mar 20, 2008
It's a good question. As a gamer and MMO enthusiast, I've played subscription games, buy to play and free to play and each model has its merits and flaws. The free to plays have no price tag, but tend to be games that were either poor quality to begin with or didn't meet their creator's expectations, so now they're keeping it around just to make some extra cash from microtransactions. Buy to plays tend to have professional-grade content far more often, but run the risk of still locking out a lot of content if you don't buy the features the designers deem unnecessary for the game's core experience and instead put in the cash shop. Subscription games provide plenty of top-grade content to all its players, thereby avoiding the risk of getting labeled "Pay to Win" or "Microtransactions: The Game", but they can come across as exorbitant if they give you a jacked up rate, especially if you don't play it every day.

To me, it hinges on three things: subscription price, content and scheduling. I know that's pretty broad, so I'll try to clarify. For starters, I know that WoW started the tradition of $15 per month, but who says that's where a subscription HAS to be? If games like GW2 can operate without a subscription fee at all, maintaining their servers and providing regular content updates with game-sales and cash shop purchases alone, then why couldn't another game have a hybrid system where there's a subscription fee, but a much smaller one that's supplemented with a cash shop? Imagine a game that has a monthly fee of $10 or even $5 per month that also offers an in-game cash shop with some nice luxury items, like special armor and weapon skins, mounts, emotes, etc. I don't see why the $15 per month rate has to be treated like its sacred.

Content, naturally, means the quality of what I'm getting for my money. I like a game with lots of in-game features, particularly roleplaying features. Customizable appearances, player housing, interactive objects, emotes, these things add character and appeal to a game for me. An overarching story for the background is definitely appealing as well, though one thing I've noticed about the "theme park" model of MMO is I tend to feel like the plot is trying to simultaneously make me the star while also threatening to leave me behind if I don't keep up (I'll get more into this when I talk about scheduling). Because of that, I enjoy a good backstory that I can explore at my own pace, or the opportunity to develop my own story with others through roleplay.

Finally, there's scheduling. Sometimes, after playing one particular game for a while, I feel like taking a break. Or I feel like playing a different game for a while. I don't exclusively play one game at a time (though maybe I should if I want to get through any of them...) so I don't require an MMO that has new content coming out every week. I've said this before in other threads, so I'll try to quickly summarize: an MMO that comes out with content patches and plot changes too fast makes me feel rushed and sucks the fun out of the game for me because I'm forced to grind content rather than relax and savor it. Someone in this thread mentioned monthly content updates; I could get behind that. It certainly sounds like a better pace than the every-two-weeks schedule GW2 seems to have adopted (which, incidentally, was what sadly turned me off that game). The other option is to let the players create their own stories rather than have the developers try to play dungeon master. I put this idea out there in a different thread, so I'll not rehash it too much. Suffice to say I know this model could be risky, but it would likely be very well received by the dedicated roleplayers who like to decide their own path in a game.

So that's the stuff I'd want to see in anything I'd pay a subscription for; reasonable (i.e. lower than $15 a month) pricing, versatile gameplay features and an update schedule that gives me time to deal with what's on my plate already. I don't know if I'll ever find a game that has all that, but hell, a guy can hope.

lysergic

Nov 12, 2013
as long as the games doesn`t require a montlhy subscription, i am ok with it. What does it matter if here and there you give out a 10 euro worths of prepaid game cards? It is not like it will drain your account anyway. As long as the game is fun. I do it all the time and when i get sick of the game, i just don`t upload no more money. Done deal.

lysergic

Nov 12, 2013
as long as the games doesn`t require a montlhy subscription, i am ok with it. What does it matter if here and there you give out a 10 euro worths of prepaid game cards? It is not like it will drain your account anyway. As long as the game is fun. I do it all the time and when i get sick of the game, i just don`t upload no more money. Done deal.