What if Apple and/or Google released a gaming console?

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Hello again Escapist,

With the release of Sony's Playstation 4 and Microsoft's Xbox One, How would you react to the idea of either Google (using either Android/Chrome/Nexus) and Apple creating a gaming console. Yes I know there has been wild rumours on Apple suggesting the idea of coming into the gaming market but do you think that would fully work. As Google (along with Disney) are gearing more and more closer to world domination creating a Skynet situation soon enough (It can happen people), do you think they would even release something. Think about it, when Microsoft unveiled the first Xbox, many thought Bill Gates and his team were going into battle with giants that were Nintendo and Sony but look how that turned out with the Xbox 360.

So really what are your thoughts and opinions on the idea of Apple or Google making a gaming system? Heck maybe Samsung too but that will just end up in a patents war between them and Apple but for gaming instead of phones.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
No too bothered about a system, but a Google OS syncing to my Android phone would be a brilliant thing.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Apple? Not interested, assuming it was anywhere near as overpriced as their other hardware.

Google? Possibly. I mean, I guess it'd probably run on Android? And we sort of already have the OUYA if you really want an Android gaming console. Even if it is a bit pants.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008

I'm starting to get paranoid of Google and how much information they have. When I learned that by putting a contact in my phone uploads it to google I don't want to use them without knowing exactly what data they're taking. I don't even like the google accounts and youtube sync since I use to use my account as my business e-mail and youtube is for anonymous shitposting. I'd have to read their privacy policy to even consider it, and I'd probably keep it offline at all times.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
They have, it's called the iPod Touch :p

In all seriousness, that's all I use my iPod for. It doesn't even have any music on it. I've just been using it for gaming for about 3 years now and it's been awesome.

But in more seriousness, I assume you mean like a home console. I dunno how that would go. A large chunk of the iOS device or Android are the high range of interesting indie titles coupled with the fairly unique aspects and features of the console itself.

It would be a lot harder to capture the touch screen, tilt based, and in some cases even strictly sound centered games you can get on an iOS device on a standard TV hook up console.

It would just be a box...filled with App Store style games played with a controller...and we already have that, it's called the Ouya (which I do like the idea of, but the Ouya needs a lot of work)

Could Apple or Google replicate such an idea with more success? ...possibly, who knows? I'd certainly check it out, but it's not quite something I'm rooting for.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
ParsonOSX said:
Actually, Apple already tried, way back in 1996. It was called the Apple Pippin [http://www.wired.com/gadgets/mac/multimedia/2008/01/gallery_apple_flops?slide=2]. Not that it's safe to say that Apple crawls away from failure. They also flopped with the Apple Newton [http://www.wired.com/design/2013/08/remembering-the-apple-newtons-prophetic-failure-and-lasting-ideals/] back in 1993, and look at Apple now.

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
New consoles from apple and/or Google would be great because it would be more competition in the market which is great for consumers. It would create a new kinds of arms race to make the best kind of console that would appeal to the widest audience.

Imagine a console in which you could upgrade key components over time, had several online stores to allow for shopping at competitive prices (outside of store exclusives), and was an open platform that allowed for all games. That would be an amazing console, but then Im pretty much describing a PC there.

Fiad

Apr 3, 2010
Apple console? Not interested in the slightest. Google I could see producing a pretty solid console though.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Ewww, no way. I don't those casual scrubs in my hardcore sandbox!

But seriously....

Caiphus said:
Apple? Not interested, assuming it was anywhere near as overpriced as their other hardware.
Apple would basically sell a stripped-down Mac at an exorbitant price. But then, would it sell? I don't really know. I have trouble seeing the two markets overlap that much. The benefit of gaming on an iPhone or Droid device is portability and simplicity. Which leads me to Google.

Google? Possibly. I mean, I guess it'd probably run on Android? And we sort of already have the OUYA if you really want an Android gaming console. Even if it is a bit pants.
The primary benefit of a Google console over the Ouya and other Droid consoles on the market is that Google would almost certainly put more behind it than any of them. I'm not 100% sure there's a market. I'm not sure the console would be good. I am sure it would be a less half-assed deal than we got from the Ouya.

TehCookie said:
Well that wasn't very nice. All Apple did was try and take a bath in peace...:p

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
...Apple? It would come out overpriced and under-featured. "Why would you need 2 thumbsticks, 10 buttons and a d-pad... much less a keyboard and mouse? Our elegant solution features a thumbstick shaped like a trackball, a touchscreen and 3 buttons... and it connects with a firewire cable, sold separately.".

With Google... I envision the Ouya with better funding. Still a PowerPC processor (still haven't seen any of their OSes running on x86 hardware), but with more actual free-to-play games and... microtransactions. Microtransactions everywhere.

No thanks to both.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
loc978 said:
...Apple? It would come out overpriced and under-featured. "Why would you need 2 thumbsticks, 10 buttons and a d-pad... much less a keyboard and mouse? Our elegant solution features a thumbstick shaped like a trackball, a touchscreen and 3 buttons... and it connects with a firewire cable, sold separately.".

With Google... I envision the Ouya with better funding. Still a PowerPC processor (still haven't seen any of their OSes running on x86 hardware), but with more actual free-to-play games and... microtransactions. Microtransactions everywhere.

No thanks to both.
firewire? Not a proprietary 71.5 pin cable that you can just connect through a USB port anyway? With a chip designed to prevent you from buying a cheaper or more sensible option?

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
loc978 said:

No thanks to both.
firewire? Not a proprietary 71.5 pin cable that you can just connect through a USB port anyway? With a chip designed to prevent you from buying a cheaper or more sensible option?
Nah, that's the display cable... and it needs a converter brick to HDMI (sold separately) unless you connect it to a new series of Apple monitor (sold separately). Controller's 1394. They're still trying to push that crap...

Oh, and the power cable would be one of those magnetic things leading to a power brick (sold separately), and then an all-new proprietary 7-pin connector that can hook up to 120VAC, 220VAC, 250VAC, or 3-phase 240VAC... each socket type requiring a $50 cable (sold separately).

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Google have been in my shit list even before the whole GooglePlus/Youtube bull, when using Microsoft friggin Word is more intuitive than your new email client you taken a wrong turn in user interfaces.

At this point I'm more into the OS of the Steambox and what it will do for Linux gaming then the actual console. The only reason to.get the Steambox foe me would be my pre-existing Steam games, which a better PCwould make more sense.

As for Apple, my sister (who was given a Apple laptop as a birthday present) said 'give me a minute' when asked to say something nice about them.

Sums up their overpriced products quite nicely.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well if they would go into the market they would just have one of those smart TV boxes capable of IOS / Android games, it's not really that outlandish because those already exist.

BoredRolePlayer

Nov 9, 2010
Most games were designed for sensors and stuff for tablets and phones, so part of the charm would be lost during the translation.

But if a Android OS would have access to my Google Play Store apps I bought that would be a better option then the OYUA (I don't want to rebuy games I already own like Final Fantasy 3).

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Pretty sure when I signed my Android contract that I was prevented from ever saying anything negative about Google from then on. And for some reason I have to say "Amen" every third time I use the word Google, which is strange. Something in there grants them an easement to a percentage of my immortal soul as well, strangely enough. So for fear of my phone coming to life and murdering me in my sleep, I would "love" a Google console... hehe... *he said, nervously darting his eyes back and forth*

As for Apple... Hell no. It would probably cost way more than competing consoles do while having a fraction of the power and the stage reps would likely bang on about "The power of the cloud" or some nonsense. Wait... why does that sound familiar???

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Ultratwinkie said:
Apple won't. Or rather, they did.

Steve Jobs tried, and his console failed. He refused to acknowledge gaming until his death. In fact, he felt the industry had no future.

Apple is following his doctrine. Apple doesn't care for gaming, they don't even care enough for apple TV. if they do release it, it will be DOA just like the pippin.

Google is the same. Their console will be DOA once anyone brings up the NSA.

Sony and Microsoft lost billions on consoles. With their divisions lacking any real profit to dig themselves out of the hole in a timely manner. There is no way anyone will try to touch console gaming with a 10 foot pole after seeing how Sony is struggling financially and the xbox too.

Going into consoles is a sure fire way to make your stock price take a nosedive after telling investors how much consoles require to make and maintain.

Frankly, phone games have taken away any reason to do anything with consoles. They already own the market anyway, so console profits are chump change.

FYI, Steve Jobs had been fired from Apple years before the Pippin was released, and he returned just as the Pippin was abandoned. Everything involving the Pippin happened under the watch of a different CEO, Michael Spindler.

And "phone games have taken away any reason to do anything with consoles"? Yes, I suppose you're right. Fruit Ninja has completely taken all the fans away from FIFA, Halo, Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto V. Rockstar is shaking in its collective boots right now.