What if chess...

cyboryxmen

Nov 9, 2012
...was played in real time?

We have to make this a thing. Let's just go all out and start chess tournaments with cash prizes and scholarships. It would certainly stop the chess haters for saying how chess is a game for computers since it is harder for computers to process moves quickly. Probably the only reason for not doing this initially was because it would be hard to time each individual pieces.
-Zekilk

Sep 14, 2009
eh doesn't seem like my kind of bag, too open for spamming of moves to just zerg rush your opponents brain. it does have timers on it though so there is that...

still, i prefer my turn based games.

cyboryxmen

Nov 9, 2012
That was one aspect I never liked about the game. I was hoping that there was some mechanic that allowed players to encourage slow pacing by punishing the ones that rush in. I can see the potential in this though. The idea that you can easily intercept a move even though the opponent has you out maneuvered and you can move a number of pieces while he moves his. Perhaps we need to slow down the speed the pieces move and make the chess board much bigger. This has to be expanded apon at least.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Uh uh.

Call me a traditionalist, but chess is the pinnacle of turn-based logical strategy.

If you want to make a real-time strategy board game, go crazy, but calling it "Real Time Chess" just feels like stamping a name on something to make it sell. We hate it when games and movies do that, so...

Let the chess haters hate. They'll never beat me at chess.

Razentsu

Jun 21, 2011
That's some cool technology, but I don't know how I feel about the game. It hardly resembles Chess. Instead of being some weird Chess variant I wish this game were its own game. I'd give this game an entirely different name and try to design pieces specifically for real-time gameplay. Chess just does not come to my mind when I see this "Real-Time Chess".

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Pretty sure I invented this with my mates when we were 5 and really didn't want to play chess, so we just moved things around at random see who can make up the most time... hey it's a fun round of nonsense but we aren't really talking about the same game any more, perhaps not a game at all.

As for the computers options, you do know they can process information millions of times faster then you? This just gives them the advantage on two fronts rather then one.

skywolfblue

Jul 17, 2011
Chess is suppose to be the opposite of "Real Time". You're suppose to spend minutes, maybe almost hours, thinking in layers of "he moves, so I move, so he moves, so I move, so he moves there? or here?".

If we're going to go real-time, why not just play Starcraft instead?

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Objectable said:
But what about the way Chess was meant to be played?
<youtube=a_53jVvJyb8>
Wait. Isn't that how everyone plays Chess? That's how I play. And let me tell you Short should have sent in a puppy dressed as a dragon. That's the best move in the game. Hard to set up, but he was perfectly in place for that. I was certain that was his next move. Looks like he dropped the ball, really. Of course that's not a very good move, anyway. Too often the pawns just play baseball when you do that.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
cyboryxmen said:
It would certainly stop the chess haters for saying how chess is a game for computers since it is harder for computers to process moves quickly.
The answer to that problem appears to be Arimaa [http://arimaa.com/arimaa/]. It's a game designed to be playable with a normal chess set and difficult for computers to beat humans at.

I haven't tried playing it myself, but I'm tempted to give it a go at some point.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
it's not a replacement for real chess, but it's certainly interesting.. I'd like to see a couple of gosu koreans play it though.

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
Chess has one of the all time great pacing curves in any game ever made, why destroy it? And the "real time version will never take off. Why? Because it can't really be broadcast on TV or started randomly by someone just saying "e4" on a forum.

sanescientist

Nov 25, 2013
It would annoying having to deal with other players arms blocking your view maybe it would be better played over the internet.

Senare

Aug 6, 2010
So they finally fixed the balance issue? It's no Golden Joystick, but hopefully it brings some peace to our dear departed Fitzthistlewits.

<youtube=0RHLtx9r2LA>

Apr 5, 2008
How would *I* work in the context of this new game? Would I even work?

Senare said:
<youtube=0RHLtx9r2LA>
Very funny :) I had Battle Chess on the Amiga, and nvidia chess was a mainstay for a while if only to showcase the GFX cards of the era. Shame they don't update it, would love to see a DX11 version!

spacemutant IV

Feb 25, 2012
This is on page 2 already and people don't seem to be interested or bothered, but I just can't let this go, can I? Nooooo.

There is no goddamn "real time chess", because there is no real time to chess. Real time strategy games incorporate non-logical, time consuming elements such as building the pieces that you are moving on the map. There is no such element to chess, the game is purely logical, and there is no way in hell that you can call it "real time chess". The time it takes to make a move in chess is of no consequence to the game itself.

If they had just written a program that forces the player to make a move within a certain amount of time and had given it any other name, I wouldn't have a problem. But this is ridiculous.