What if GTAV sucks?

Generic4me

Oct 10, 2012
It should come as no surprise to anybody here that GTAV is going to be a huge game this fall. Its around the corner, looks phenomenal, and me and everybody I know is ultra-excited for it. Its the most expensive game ever made (setting the record for the second time), and they've already made their money back in pre orders alone.

So my question is, what if it sucks?

Not like is 6/10 meh, like 2/10, this game is horrible, glitchy, boring, ugly, the whole shebang.

What kind of effects could such a thing have on the gaming industry?

I'm aware that a big deal now is inflating development budgets, obviously budgets would be made smaller if a project that had so much money thrown at it could fail. Might publishers stop taking risks with their games? Or perhaps the opposite, a belief that failure to make new IP constantly could be a colossal failure? Maybe the gaming industry might even have a small recession, with all the negativity from the project.

Anyways, I'm interested in hearing what other people have to add to this, its definitely not going to happen, but it seems like something that isn't talked about and should be.

Clowndoe

Aug 6, 2012
People are going to buy it in record-breaking numbers anyway, then find out it sucks, complain about it, Rockstar might lose a lot of money, though probably survive to make another game. I don't think it'll be anything like a recession in gaming, it's just not big enough in the grand scheme of things. I mean, a colossal flop every once a year hasn't killed us yet.

Able Seacat

Jun 18, 2012
If it sucks a lot of people will be gutted and Rockstar will certainly be in trouble considering the investment they've put into it. On the gaming industry as a whole, not sure really.

I'm willing to bet money that it won't be bad though.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
im so confident that if GTA V sucks I will eat my own left nut

Its very unlikely that it will suck, I mean VERY unlikely given the expense of this game, the experience and resources available to rockstar not to mention they have a very proven track record and the series has an unprecedented loyal fan base

jpinks

Jan 25, 2010
I just hate that GTA treats where it started on PC as cross-eyed step children who wont buy consoles. I have my reservations about how this version will work but I hope its not a year or more coming to PC.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Well, GTA IV was one of the most boring games I think I've played in my life.
I certainly won't be bothering with V.

IMO: Boring is worse than bad. At least bad is funny. At least bad you can enjoy with a perverted enjoyment of what a train wreck everything is.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
Weaver said:

IMO: Boring is worse than bad. At least bad is funny. At least bad you can enjoy with a perverted enjoyment of what a train wreck everything is.
GTA IV was far from boring, granted the world wasnt as engaging as previous GTAs and there wasnt much to do outside missions but it was still far from a "bad" or "boring" game. It was poor by GTA standards but overall it was a good game

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
shootthebandit said:
Weaver said:

GTA IV was far from boring, granted the world wasnt as engaging as previous GTAs and there wasnt much to do outside missions but it was still far from a "bad" or "boring" game. It was poor by GTA standards but overall it was a good game
It's good to know my subjective opinion on what bores me is completely invalidated because someone says so.
I wasn't claiming the game was boring for everyone, but it was boring for me.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
(see Skyrim).
Er... while I don't necessarily disagree with what you're saying and get the point you're going for, Skyrim had a lot more wrong under the hood than the hardware of the PS3 not being optimal for open-world games. The fact that Bethesda is somehow even worse at coding for the PS3 than the PC or Xbox 360 doesn't automatically mean that all open-world games are automatically going to struggle on the system.

OT: Not to sound spiteful, but I hope it does suck, not least of all because it supposedly has a budget eclipsing almost every high-budget film right now. We don't need video game budgets to continue rising higher and higher, especially not at such an exponential rate.

I suppose it helps that I'm not a fan of Grand Theft Auto. Regardless of the final quality, I'll be interested in seeing if Rockstar considers it a financial success or not after launch.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
Then I will have wasted $150 for the Collectors Edition.

Seriously? There's no reason to think like that.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
IGN will still give it a 10/10 and proclaim it as the best thing to ever have happened to gaming.
Don't you mean 10/10 it's okay?

OT: I don't see if affecting me personally at all. I'm not particularly fond of GTA, nor most AAA games which it's failure would impact the most. If it does bomb I think it will be like Mass Effect 3, everyone will have already bought it before they realize it's terrible and be more wary of Rockstar titles in the future. Their addiction will keep them from ever actually avoiding them.

As for the industry, they will either say "Deal with it, bigger games mean bigger bugs." or listen to the customer and try to release less buggy, broken games.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
IGN will still give it a 10/10 and proclaim it as the best thing to ever have happened to gaming.

Though I doubt the game will truly suck. GTA IV had huge problems, but it was still a good game. The GTA formula is pretty hard to fuck up once you've got it nailed.

Though that said, part of me does wonder if the game won't end up being somewhat underwhelming compared to what we've seen of it in pre-release footage. The only reason I say this is because it looks like Rockstar are trying to pull off an obscene amount of stuff in this game, and I really can't believe the hardware is up to snuff for it. GTA IV was already a bit wobbly on consoles, with a sub-30fps framerate and all that, and I can't believe that with all the additions they've made the game will somehow be less demanding on consoles with only 512mb of RAM. At the very least, I'm expecting a framerate somewhere in the mid-20s, and probably a shitload of bugs to boot. I'm also expecting something to be up with the multiplayer, purely because I cannot believe that Rockstar have somehow managed to make an open-world 16 player multiplayer system when other games struggle to manage anything more than 24 players within confined arenas.

Coding to the metal will get you so far, but at the end of the day they're still working with 512mb of RAM and pre-2006 GPUs. If I'm wrong on everything else, I will at least bet that the PS3 version runs terribly. That architecture was not set up for open-world gaming (256mb of RAM cordoned off for graphics) and open world games have generally run pretty poorly on it in general (see Skyrim).

GTA IV was released very early into both consoles life cycles and didnt exploit the full potential. Im more than confident they can pull off the single player but im still a little dubious of the multiplayer. It seems almost too good to be true

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Out of all the companies in gaming, I trust Rockstar the most.
All that they need to do is just remake San Andreas and seeing how GTAV is basically just that, right down to the swimming, clothes and tattoos...

I just hope it knocks a dent into COD so that gaming can move away from military shooters.