"What If It Sucks?"

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Fappy said:
Has there ever been a game that you built up to incredible expectations only to have those expectations completely and utterly demolished?
Too Human.

The concept - an RPG about Norse Mythology in a cyberpunk setting employing a deep "devil may cry" like combat system.

The execution - one of the worst games ever made.

HOW DO YOU MESS THAT CONCEPT UP THAT BADLY?!

Eve Charm

Aug 10, 2011
Two worlds

It was suppose to be elder scrolls oblivion with co-op online play. Would have been the most awesome thing ever at the time, and I still have the collector's edition box on my shelve with the game played only once ever. I might go set it on fire now.

zombieshark6666

Sep 27, 2011
Pimppeter2 said:
I once chose Rise of the Argonauts over Fallout 3. Because I was afraid I'd be too disappointed by the later.

...yep.

[sub][sub][sub][sub][sub][sub]somebody hold me[/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub]
CTRL + mouse scrooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooll

No.

michiehoward said:
On topic...
FF13
Fable 2
Force Unleashed 2.

FF13 being the most disappointing game ever created.
I decided to buy a modern console so I could play it. Then I saw what they did in videos and reviews. Then I played lots of other games and never tried it and never will, at any price.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
lewwatt said:
It happened with FO:NV too. I was so hyped (FO3 is my favourite game) and to my dismay it wasn't what I had expected, I expected bugs to be ironed out, a gripping story, better graphics and a more diverse landscape. Still a good game but a little lackluster in my opinion.

E: I also never preorder anymore, New Vegas was the first and last. I could've gotten it much cheaper had I waited.
My feelings exactly. I expected it to be buggy but I didn't think it would be that much worse than Fallout 3.
By the time the "big patch" came out (6 months after launch), it was $20. And the map felt like a Hollywood backlot, all cluttered and shallow.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I never get stuff early, and don't shun Metacritic. Boom, I'm never... EVER... burned.

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
I'm worried about Final Fantasy XIII-2; I loved the first one, but after that whole FFX-2 fiasco (I went into that one with high expectations...not too bad of a game, I have judged it much too harshly in the past though) I'm a little worried. Also findingit weird Ezio from AC is an unlockable skin.

AwkwardTurtle

Aug 21, 2011
Only in more recent times (I suppose? xD)
When I was a kid the answer would be no. I was a child I freaking loved the crap out of every game I got.

Now that I'm slightly older, and more importantly old enough to criticize a game and appreciate another person's criticism of it, I constantly ask that quesiton.

I think ME3 has the potential to at least kind of suck.

I'm thinking that Dragon's Dogma will either be awesome be absolutely terrible. :3

That's about it for now in terms of my games I want to get, but think they might suck.

josephmatthew10

Jun 24, 2010
The quote is is priceless last line of the movie Fanboys (an otherwise "meh" film, besides that line and the depiction of the tragic-in-hindsight build-up to the premiere of Episode I).

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
I think this when buying RPG's I haven't heard of before... Especially if it's just based off of Amazon Recomendations!

I'm not often dissapointed though!

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Metroid: Other M, Hey You Pikachu, Lost Planet 2, Dead Island, and MW3.
I bought all of these games thinking "zomg, this game is going to be so AWESOME!" but then slowly realized it is absolute shit.
For Lost Planet 2, the "absolute shit" moment happened after about 20 minutes of gameplay. For Other M, after the third time that horrible excuse of a Samus opened her stupid fucking whiney ass mouth. Hey You Pikachu after an hour or so, I can't remember cuz it was a very long time ago. Dead Island, either after about 8 hours and realizing I am nowhere near completion or a point where I can hold my own, or when I tried online only to realize that playing with randoms is like playing with randoms in WoW... only worse... MW3 after my 2nd prestige I think. Thats when the servers went to shit, and I realized how much fun I could be having by playing Skyrim.

Edit: I also bought Duke Nukem Forever knowing it'd suck, but thought "It can't be THAT bad".
LOLOLOL was I wrong...

The Virgo

Jul 21, 2011
That's why I always wait for a review and, even then, I'll still wait until it becomes cheap. $60 bucks for Skyrim? What if it sucks? No thank you, I'll wait a year until it's cheaper and then when Steam has it on sale.

This crosses my mind not just for games, but for anything in which I have anticipation for. I'm going to see Roger Waters perform "The Wall" live later this year and, even though I know it's going to be great, a part of me still wonders if a 68-year-old man can still pull off The Wall well enough to justify a $250~ ticket ...

Oh well. Better to have seen it live in a "not-as-good" way than to have never seen a Pink Floyd album live at all ... I guess?

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
As a child I never followed game development, for a long time my parents bought the games and I had no idea what that entailed. Even when I started buying games myself I rarely concerned myself with anything but what I could buy right now.

Back then, when there was no hype in my mind I never concerned myself with the question "what if it sucks?" and found myself often owning games that sucked. Now since I follow the development of games extensively I've found that I don't need to worry about whatever game I want sucking because I basically know in advance if I'll enjoy it.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Nothing that I can remember as of now. But I swear, if they mess up Kid Icarus Uprising, I'm saying Fuck It to Nintendo

Dec 3, 2011
Sadly it was Skyward Sword for me. Got the gold Wiimote plus edition too. All the perfect scores got me so super-hyped, but in the end I was with Yahtzee. The worst Zelda I have played. A shame, since I adore Ocarina, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
OK, am I the only person that saw beforehand that Metroid: Other M would suck? Team Ninja? HELLO?! If anyone's played Team Ninja's games then they know that they're not really all that hot on story. Don't get me wrong, the gameplay is (usually) pretty darn good for their games but this isn't Ninja Gaiden. This is Metroid. A very different game. I mean, seriously now.

Each game development team usually specializes in a particular type of game. For Bioware, it's RPG's. For id, it's FPS'. For Nintendo, it's usually platformers and the occasional adventure game.

Team Ninja specializes in action and fighting games. Metroid is mostly a platformer at heart. Do the math.

RaNDM G

Apr 28, 2009
Fable 3. I knew it wouldn't be anywhere as good as the first two games, but damn did it suck hard.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
DA2 like woah.

The thing is I wasn't that disappointed with it until I finished it and I was like, 'What did I just play?'

It was such a let down from Origins. :(

I'm worried about Mass Effect 3 too. The clip where they were getting excited about what was essentially Gears of War gameplay was like :| Also they are shoehorning in multiplayer in which which makes me EXTREMELY worried.