What in the world is up with my computer?

Ddgafd

Jul 11, 2009
About twenty minutes ago, my computer turned off. Well, technically it only restarted itself, but anyway. Out of nowhere the screen goes black and Windows XP proceeds to start itself again. The same happened yesterday at the same time, I think. I have no idea what is happening here. I highly doubt that it's a virus, because I only go to five sites ever since I got this thing repaired around a month ago. A broken hard drive, you see. It'd be swell if you could tell me how to fix this problem. I'll provide more info if necessary.

Motiv_

Jun 2, 2009
Apparently Windows XP automatically restarts without warning in the event of system failure.

http://www.technibble.com/computer-keeps-restarting-without-warning/

Your clients or even your own computer may keep restarting for no reason without warning. First of all, when a computer keeps rebooting it can be caused by a wide range of problems, from incompatable software such as Firewalls and Antivirus software, damaged or overheating parts inside your computer or even incompatable peripherals such as printers and scanners. Here are some computer repair tips to help you diagnose the problem.

When a reboot occurs from within Windows XP, your computer will totally restart without telling you what caused it. This is the default behavior when Windows XP encounters a system failure.
To see what the error was you can change the default behavior by right clicking on ?My Computer? and choosing ?Properties?. Goto the ?Advanced? Tab and under ?Startup and Recovery? press the ?Settings? button.
Under the ?System Failure? box there will be a checkbox saying ?Automatically Restart?. Untick this box and click Ok.
Next time the system has a failure it will show the Windows error blue screen (also known as BSOD, Blue Screen of Death) and it will have an error code, grab a piece of paper and write this code down.
It may look something like this: Stop 0x0000000A or IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
You can view our easy to read stop error troubleshooting guide or you can search Google for the stop error or search the Microsofts Knowlege Base to find out what this code means (its a bit technical though) and possibly find out a fix.
You can also check to see why your computer had a failure by checking the Events log for error messages. You can see the Event Viewer by going to Run and type ?eventvwr?.
Another cause for random reboots is that the computers processor is getting too hot. To check this, enter the computers bios during boot (usually by pressing Delete, F1 or F10 when the computer just starts) and there will be an option about the computers temperature (often under ?PC Health?).
This should show you the current temperature of the computer and the emergency shutdown temperature. The emergency shutdown temperature is a safeguard for when your computer gets too hot it will shut itself down to prevent damage.
You can either raise the shutdown temperature or switch it off completely, however be warned that you may damage your computer (or the clients) if the computer gets too hot. If the temperature was causing the reboots then you should consider getting better cooling for the computer such as more powerful CPU fans and more case fans.
Good luck.

Ziadaine_v1legacy

Flamboyant Homosexual
Apr 11, 2009
If your Hard Drives been broken before and they "fixed" it, all they did was wipe over it, that wont physically fix a HDD. chances are WinXP has been damaged somehow in its registry files (basically its spine) or the Hard drive is damaged in a certain sector where the OS was stored. What exactly happened when you got this fixed? Did they replace it? "fix" it?

Ddgafd said:
ever since I got this thing repaired around a month ago. A broken hard drive, you see.