What in your opinion was the most ambitious game up to this point?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Civilisation

Spore

Whatever the first MMO was. Ultima something-or-other? Dunno.

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
Skin said:
I don't play it, but EVE seems to take the cake.

Every article I read on that game on Cracked just leaves me awe-inspired.
Yeah Eve online certainly springs to my mind, when it first came out in 2003 it was pretty much sandbox with only a bucket and spade in it. However it since then it has had a great deal of content added into it. Then theres the meta game, the scams and power struggles everyone hears about. The makers CCP seem to be very forward thinking in how they make their games, just look at the upcoming Dust on PS3, sure its a online FPS, however it's tied directly into Eve.

I'ld put Minecraft in a similar bracket as Eve.

Shoot-mania is also an ambitious game too. it's been built from the ground up as a competitive team based FPS with unique gameplay modes inc 3 vs 1. Also like Track-mania the devs are giving the tools to easily create their own maps. I watched a tournament on Totalbiscuit's channel and it's quite fun to watch.

also Splunky XBLA

Also i'ld rate this as ambitious considering there's only one guy behind it

His previous game Noitu Love 2 is only £1.99 on steam atm and well worth it.

Recettear is a unique game so is the upcoming territoire

Yali

Jul 2, 2012
I'll second Deus Ex.

It was ambitious AND delivered and had everybody stumped as to what category it belonged in.

Hargrimm

Jan 1, 2010
Dwarf Fortress. No contest.

One of the most detailed Games ever made(well, technically it's still in alpha but w.e.). By one person.

littlealicewhite

Jul 18, 2010
The ones that succeeded: Morrowind, possibly Skyrim, Half-Life and Journey.

The ones that failed: Anything with Peter Molyneux's name on it, and Jurassic Park: Trespasser(really old, mostly forgotten game, look it up).

*Addendum* Deus Ex and EVE Online are also winners.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
PieBrotherTB said:
Cao Cao is a Pokemon trainer now?
That's Nobunaga, not Cao Cao.

OT: Uhhh....Spore?

At least up until it went all "child friendly".

There are many other examples but it varies through the years and genres.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Nantucket said:
Starwing (or Starfox) for the SNES.
I can't think of many, if any, 3D games before this one.
I would agree with this. I recall getting it on the SNES and thinking, "This is insane!" as I flew around.

The other title would possibly be The Sims. When it came out no one really knew how to describe it properly - PC Gamer had a one page preview on it and described it as "a kind of tamagotchi soap opera", with the belief that it wouldn't catch on. Now look at the series.

KINGBeerZ

Apr 22, 2012
I watched a lets play of a game called Farenheit: Indigo Prophecy, i don't know about ambitious but it certainly was insane

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I suppose the most recent ambitious game is the soon to be released Guild Wars 2.
I mean look at this trailer, the impression I got is that they are trying to redefine the MMORPG game. Wheather they had suceed at doing that or not is up to the view playing that game.

Fingerprint

Elite Member
Oct 30, 2008
How about Mirror's Edge. The story telling maybe as uninspired beige carpet but as a concept it is pretty ground-breaking in as much as it hasn't - to my knowledge - been attempted before. It's undeniably colourful which is something of a revalation in modern day gaming, and it's possible to complete the game without killing anyone which is pretty unique for a game that gives you guns, enemies and on the xbox at least, controls geared for more of a traditional fps style game.

Overusedname

Emcee: the videogame video guy
Jun 26, 2012
Vault101 said:
*flamesheild*

Mass Effect/dragon age series for being a big mainstream title "attempting" to try good gay relationships

"attempting" being the key word
I thought it was a pretty admirable attempt from what I've seen. I've never played all the way through any, mind. But I've watched extensive let's plays.

The plot certainly doesn't make a big deal about the fact that they're gay, which is nice. I thought FemShep and Liara's relationship had some genuinely charming moments. And they nailed the idea of two people being naturally comfortable with each other. Progress.

In terms of daring subject matter, I'm going with Persona 4. I loved the fact that the whole thing is dedicated to the harmful effects of gender roles and homophobia. And it's a very powerful portrayal of it.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Overusedname said:
I thought it was a pretty admirable attempt from what I've seen. I've never played all the way through any, mind. But I've watched extensive let's plays.

I actually agree...but some people don't so keeping it neutral

Liara "kinda" doesnt count because of the whole "we arent REALLY female" thing....at least in the mass effect universe it isn't seen as a gay relationship

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
I'd have to go with the first Assassin's Creed. It was really trying to do something different and put you in a time period in a way that no game had done before.

This doesn't mean the franchise hasn't totally overstayed its welcome at this point though.
never done the crusade? what about age of empires 2?

games are familar with knights and swords but in AC case it made it historal/bare bones/realistic...so yeah same thing I guess

AC is getting really convoluted but I hope doing somthing different will help

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
LA Noire was pretty ambitious. It was certainly ambitious enough that it took seven years and put its developer out of business.
Although that was actually because of shonky business practises.
Also it was crap.
And they spelled Noir wrong...

Overusedname

Emcee: the videogame video guy
Jun 26, 2012
Vault101 said:
Liara "kinda" doesnt count because of the whole "we arent REALLY female" thing....at least in the mass effect universe it isn't seen as a gay relationship
Bah, semantics. :p

Jim Stirling pointed out that if a man is attracted to a masculine sex toy, he's still gay. If FemShep likes Liara, she likes women. I know it's not technically a gay relationship but I think we can infer in this case.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Star Wars Galaxies, the original iteration of it anyway. Open skills system with 32 class types which could be mixed and matched (even if they did suck) . Plus all the other stuff they pioneered. Player languages (teaching and learning the languages of the other species in game and being able to swap to them for chat, spice (drug) crafting and trade complete with side effects for taking them, the player housing and decorating system, the crafting system with its dynamic and complex resource spawning system to name but a few.

Shame that SOE/LA panicked when WoW came out and changed the game for the worse which lead to a slow and sad death. The game had so much potential but mismanagement killed it.