What Interesting Thing Have You Discovered Recently?

Humanity1

Apr 14, 2009
That one of my favourite spices is spelt cardamom, not cardamon as I've been calling it for years... mind blown.

staika

I am Tizzy's Willing Slave
Aug 3, 2009
I have discovered that my car's air conditioning is broken, makes it unbearably hot while it was sitting in the sun while I was in class.

vv85

May 25, 2013
'Taking a trip to the spice islands' is a 18th century euphemism for going to the toilet

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
I discovered that lithium toxicity can cause tremors, loss of consciousness, polyuria and diarrhoea. I also discovered that, right up to WW2, 7up had lithium in it - not much, but enough so that if you drank too much, it could have repercussions for your health. The reason why they put lithium in it was because they believed it would "calm" people down. What they didn't realize is that lithium takes MONTHS to work as a mood-stabilizing drug and you have to give very regular doses at very regular times, so putting lithium in softdrink didn't help stabilize anyone's mood, or, it made people ill because they drank too much.

I've also been reading up more on WWII. It is remarkable how many of the allied commanders openly hated each other, and I mean REALLY hated each other. Luckily, they had enough generals with diplomatic skills on staff to make them work with each other, but the inter-service and inter-national rivalry and in-fighting actually jeopardized more than a few operations. There were also some battles that were fought, not because they were necessary, but because some generals wanted to make a big name for themselves - case in point, McArthur's "return" to the Philippines. The battle for the Philippines was NOT vital at all to allied success, because the Japanese were boxed in and couldn't get supplies. Many Admirals and Generals favored just bypassing some of the Japanese garrisons altogether, but McArthur was so personally attached to the idea of his "triumphant" return, that he badgered and complained and stamped his feet so much that they eventually yielded to his demands.

ShipofFools

Apr 21, 2013
I have recently discovered that the reason forest and garden gnomes get killed by cats, but are safe from bears, weasels, dogs and birds of prey, is because cats are fucking bastards who refuse to talk to gnomes.

I lead a very strange life.

pyrosaw

Mar 18, 2010
When it is raining out, but the sun is also out, there are two major phrases in the USA. One, is that people call it a sunshower, which makes sense, the sun is out, and it's showering, you get the point. The other saying is "When the devil beats his wife." I s**t you not, are people out in the northeast(more upper midwest),who, when the sun is out, and it's raining, go "Whelp, looks like the devil's beating his wife." That's insane.

Stasisesque

Nov 25, 2008
I recently realised why the humans from Lady and The Tramp are called "Jim Dear" and "Darling". We're seeing the story from Lady's perspective, and she's only ever heard the couple refer to each other by those names, and being a dog, she's never been formally introduced to them.

It's not world shattering information, but it has taken me over 20 years to work it out. I was quite proud.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
Poi and by extension fire poi. I had a look at some awesome firepoi performance and i thought "Wow i wish i could do that". Then I found out fire poi are 20 pounds for a pair. Basically dirt cheap. You can make your own for like 4 quid with tennis balls and string though but without the fire. Spinning them around is fun and if I like it enough and im not total shit at the harder stuff doing it with fire would be a great trick. Usually the barrier for entry for awesome stuff is expensive as hell but if its 24 quid to spin fire and shit why wouldnt i just give it a go? Loads of youtube videos help you as well.

I also worked out that a brave new world and 1984 are basically the same future but the human race is enslaved by pleasure rather than pain. In one people dont read books because they are forbidden. In the other people dont read because they dont want to and never will. In one people are deprived of information by force. In the other people know nothing because they are drowned in information and it makes them egotistical and self centered so the desire to know nothing. I never saw that mirror image theme in both the books.

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
I discovered a cult PC game called Evidence The Last Ritual after looking up games with the best AR input. I ordered it as soon as I could and fell in love with it. To summarize, you're basically playing a game sent by a serial killer to find his victims. The puzzles require you to use email, google, and websites to find the answers that are quite difficult.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
I discovered that the Wii games Top Shot Dinosaur Hunter and Jurassic: The Hunted are actually the same game, published by the same company and made by the same developer.

I also discovered that Microsoft recently used a Tunguska to shoot their feet.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Loki_The_Good said:
You think that's bad I used to read the abreviation lbs. as "lilibles" instead of pounds until I was I think 14. I have no idea where that word came from. If I ever come up with a unit of measurement though at least I have a spare name.
'lb' is an abbreviation of 'libra' (a Roman unit of mass roughly equal to 1.5 Imperial/US Customs pounds) and we derive the word 'pound' from 'libra pondo' (Latin - 'pound by weight' or something like that).

One massive quibble I have though is 'cwt' or 'hundredweight'... you'd expect it to be a hundred of something... but no, it's 112 pounds... until some American decided to have the 'short hundredweight' and it became 100 pounds, which works out to be 7 1/7 stones. Very useful... -_-

Anyway... recently, I've recently discovered a love for BL C64 6pdr's... ¬_¬

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
SckizoBoy said:
I have just discovered that I don't know what any of those letters or numbers mean in that order.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
I discovered today that it's a nightmare trying to get a decent healer in The Secret World, or indeed any MMO. I was a DPS in a five man party today for Hell Raised, and we spent about twenty minutes hanging around looking for a healer through the chat. Nobody volunteered but one guy mentioned healing, so I sent a PM to him to ask if he was any good as a healer. He agreed to come on board, so we headed to the dungeon, only to find that the 'healer' was more interested in playing second tank than healing the team. We had a clear plan for the first, and easiest, boss in the dungeon, yet still died repeatedly because our healer wasn't bothering to heal anyone, running around with a gun trying to fight instead. Eventually we won the encounter after he finally decided to follow the plan, only to do the same thing again for the next boss. After two attempts we kicked the guy from the group and left to find another healer. An hour later, while we were looking for a new healer and completing other missions individually, the group disbanded.

Why people don't want to at least try and build even just one decent healer for dungeon use, I don't know. Doesn't even have to be their main build, after all...

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Alfador_VII said:
SckizoBoy said:
I have just discovered that I don't know what any of those letters or numbers mean in that order.
Haha... you need to be a certain type of geek to get that... it's like my continued fascination with KwK 42 L-70's... -.-

Anyway: Breech Loading Cannon model-1864, weight of shell - 6 pounds. The first mass produced and mass used breech loading field artillery piece, care of Alfred Krupp of Essen.

EDIT - to be fair, though, the Prussians never preceded it by saying 'BL'... 'BL' was a British designation for their naval artillery.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Recently discovered the show "Swamp People" and I gotta say it's pretty awesome. I want to try alligator hunting now