What is a good second language to know?

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
Languages are only useful if you have a use for them.

If you plan to travel extensively or live in a place with a language (Spanish in a lot of the United States certainly counts here), learn that language.

If you want economic opportunity, learn a language with a large developing market in whatever you're interested in getting into.

If you want to learn a language just because "it would be nice to know another language", you're going to have an awfully hard time finding any motivation to continue with it (I can pretty much guarantee that you've underestimated the time and effort involved in such an endeavour).

That said, you should also consider how easily you grasp grammar. Someone who has difficulty speaking metalinguistically or understanding grammatical systems of an unfamiliar language will probably want something with grammar closer to their native language. A lot of people have tremendous difficulty in these areas - you would not be alone. French, Spanish, Italian, and German are all pretty decent bets in such cases. Many Asian languages are radically different from English and many less-known European languages have extremely unfamiliar grammar like the case systems of Russian or many of the Scandinavian languages. If you're intested in Asian languages, you should consider writing systems: many Asian languages do not write using alphabets for publications intended for adults (it takes many years of devoted study to achieve competence in reading many of these languages). If grammar systems interest you, Slavic, Scandinavian, and Asian languages might be good. Otherwise, you'll want to think deeply before heading in that direction.

Also, you should be extremely wary of any instruction method that seeks to teach a language with no explicit instruction in grammar. These tend to sell themselves on the notion that children don't need to be taught grammar to learn a language. However, you are likely not a child who hasn't yet hit puberty (the so-called "critical period" for language acquisition). Adults, by and large, do considerably better with explicit instruction in grammar.

Finally, and this is just being nitpicky, you should completely ignore anyone telling you that a language is intrinsically "difficult" or "hard" compared to another language. The only metric here is similarity to your native language. While it may be quite hard for an English speaker to learn Hungarian (understatement, trust me), a speaker of Finnish would likely have a much easier time. Conversely, a Finnish speaker trying to learn Italian would likely have a harder time with it than an English speaker would.

GotMalkAvian

Feb 4, 2009
For practicality's sake, Spanish (go for the Mexican/South American dialects instead of the original Spanish dialects) is probably the most important one for the US right now, especially if you're moving out toward the west coast.

Also, Chinese will become increasingly important in the business world.

For fun, I don't think you can go wrong with Latin or Gaelic. Latin, although a dead language, still crops up in a lot of scientific terms, so it's cool to know where the names came from. As for Gaelic, I'm Irish so something about the language just fits right with me, and you'll be able to understand some of the greatest folk songs ever written.

Admiral Crunch

Nov 25, 2010
Julianking93 said:
I know a lot of German now, but personally, I'd like to learn Japanese.
Just... so... fucking... difficult >>
I'm acually learning Japanese right now, and I know what you mean.
It can be a real pain in the ass sometimes >.<

SuperUberBob

Nov 19, 2008
Mandarin Chinese will be useful when they take over the world in 2022.

austincharlesbond said:
Probably the most spoken language... Mandarin (Chinese is NOT a language).
It's a bit more complicated than that.

Chinese is a compilation of a group of languages that come from several different language families such as Sino-Tibetan and Hong-Mien and a few others. So technically, Chinese is not a language. But at the time, it is not a language family as the multiple Chinese languages are often unrelated to each other.

In modern culture, Chinese is often used in reference to Mandarin Chinese.

crazypsyko666

I AM A GOD
Apr 8, 2010
Imat said:
crazypsyko666 said:
Depending on where you're moving in California, you may want to learn either Spanish, Redneck, or every variation of asian languages ever.
California isn't really a redneck state...American Liberals, Suburbanites, Rich Folk, and Surfer Dudes/Dudettes make up a large portion of the population.
I don't know if you know this, but I live in California. There are some minor pockets of fairly redneck activity going on here. It's worth brushing up on some of their slang.

EDIT: For some reason, I bothered to read past the 'American Liberals' part of your sentence after replying. Have you ever been to California in your life? Do you have any fucking concept of how few actual 'surfer people' there are here? Also, rich folk? What the fuck are you talking about? Yeah, we have beverly hills, and the cost of living is jacked up through the roof, but that doesn't make everyone and their grandma Donald Trump. Where I live, half of my friends parents don't have jobs. Half of them don't have cars. Half of them don't even have computers. Maybe you shouldn't make stupid stereotypes and pretend to know more than someone on the fucking internet next time, eh?

DrEmo

May 4, 2009
ninjastovall0 said:
Although it pains me to say it.....chinese or "mandarin".....sigh.
Please elaborate on this incredibly vague post.

OT: Learn Spanish. It's not very easy, but if you learn it you can go on to learn French, Italian, Portuguese and any other language that comes from Latin a lot more easily.

Arsen

Nov 26, 2008
That depends upon many circumstances.

Do you plan on communicating with the illegal alien population?
Are you learning it for fun or travel purposes?
Maybe in terms of business?

These are the things to consider before making such a decision. However, being that you live within the US and are planning on moving to the capitol of illegal immigration, it might be to your benefit to learn Spanish for some reason or another. Then again it matters if you plan on staying there.

Me personally? I'd study German or another European language. With German and something else under your belt (with English) you pretty much have an all access pass to Europe at that point. At least the Western portion of it.

snowman6251

Nov 9, 2009
&#26085;&#26412;&#35486;&#12399;&#12392;&#12390;&#12418;&#12383;&#12398;&#12375;&#12356;&#12391;&#12377;&#12290;&#12409;&#12435;&#12365;&#12423;&#12358;&#12375;&#12390;&#19979;&#12373;&#12356;&#12290;

Seriously Japanese kicks ass.

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
GotMalkAvian said:
For practicality's sake, Spanish (go for the Mexican/South American dialects instead of the original Spanish dialects) is probably the most important one for the US right now, especially if you're moving out toward the west coast.

Also, Chinese will become increasingly important in the business world.

For fun, I don't think you can go wrong with Latin or Gaelic. Latin, although a dead language, still crops up in a lot of scientific terms, so it's cool to know where the names came from. As for Gaelic, I'm Irish so something about the language just fits right with me, and you'll be able to understand some of the greatest folk songs ever written.
Táim ag foghlaim gaeilge fosta. (or is it chomh maith...all these "too"s confuse me)

I started learning a year ago here at university (Bochum, Germany) and i love it. Great teachers here, a week abroad every year for free, only few students. Great thing to do.

Ashcrexl

May 27, 2009
considering the fact that China is taking over the world, probably Chinese (mandarin). but my personal favorite language is Russian. Spanish is useful if you plan to visit the Southwest sometime in the next 5,000 years.

TheMetalGuy

Jun 23, 2010
Berethond said:
It's not very usefull since only eight millions knows it world wide.
But if you are up for the challenge just try, it's freaking hard.

The language itself isn't very differnt from english, since it only have three extra letters: æ, ø and å. Also we don't have: W in any words. The hardest thing really is to pronunce it.

Only people who grew up talking it will be able to say: ø, æ or å without months of pratice.
The most common test is to say: Rød grød med fløde. Which means: Red stuw with cream.

It's not worth the effort. =X

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
If you're moving to the mid-west, Spanish would likely be the most practical. Maybe you should wait until after the move too: figure out who all lives around you. Maybe you will be entering a Greek neighborhood? Or Laotian? Another factor is your family. Maybe you would like to learn an old language from your family's history.

Personally, I went for Japanese. Not yet fluent and, mainly went for that language because of anime and a small shopping center run mostly by Japanese families. It would have been more practical to do Spanish though, in my case.

Artorius

Mar 18, 2009
French if your feeling romantic.
or Japanese if your feeling geeky.
but yeah french easy to learn and sound just plain awesome.
-Vous allez aimer il.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
I've found English is a good second language for me. :p German is a good third.

You should try to learn Dutch, it's one of the most richest languages when it comes to tone!

standokan

May 28, 2009
Fluid Latin, that'll show my old asshole teacher (I mean an old teacher who's an asshole, not a teacher with an old asshole)

Vendayn

Aug 18, 2003
Great responses so far, thanks :)

I did always like the European cultures...being that my dad's side of the family lives in the UK. Mandarin and Japanese may be a bit hard from what I've seen in the thread...I think I might want something a bit easier. I like a lot of the suggestions though.

If I get trips to other countries of the language I'm learning... then if its a place I'm interested in or want to visit, that may be a deciding factor too.