What is a "hardcore" gamer?

janjotat

Jan 22, 2012
Joke answers and politically correct answers (its up to you to decide) aside.

Being "hardcore" in my OPINION is actively learning more about your hobby(in this case gaming). If just play you are a casual gamer, it doesn't matter what it is (angry birds to Dark Souls). But if you care enough about your hobby, to want to research more(ie visit the escapist) it means you are a hardcore fan. If you extensively research mobile games to see what is coming it makes you a hardcore gamer. The reason some games receive a "hardcore" tag, is because our casual brethren often don't hear about them and so do not have an incentive to buy them.

TLDR: It comes down to degree of involvement in your hobby (gaming in this case)

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
AstroSmash said:
I think if you read a couple of these articles, you will understand what I mean.
Anyone with a computer and fifteen minutes of time can write an article or try being a Yahtzee copycat and still fail in realizing they're being full of shit, or that they're not nearly as smart and witty as they think they are. Goes for both sides, both the "Hurr filthy casuals" and the "Durr pretentious elitists" crowds.

AstroSmash said:
I know that the term 'hardcore' gamer isn't codified anywhere, but to me it's someone who spends a lot of time playing and improving his videogame skills by watching replays, discussing on forums, patiently caring for his improvement.
I've played at that level for a year or two. It sucked out my soul and caused more than its duration's worth of harm in my life, now that I reflect several years later. I can't speak for others, but I'm glad I am now, by your definition, "casual" and just play games for the enjoyment while prioritizing the truly important stuff higher up on my lists.

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
It's a nonsense term, used by people to hold themselves above the dirty casual hordes.

What those people fail to realise, is that they aren't me, so are inferior by default.
Idk On the one hand I do take pride in playing games alot of people wont play. On the other if all someone plays is fruit ninja I guess its whatev I MEAN FUCK FRUIT NINJA IS FAG! CODBLOPS SECOND TIER!!! 1337 FOR LIFE!lmao

its whatever tho. I do make fun of my friends sometimes because they have played a significant portion of dark souls but prefer to start every game on easy which I find odd.lol

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
A hardcore gamer generally mean someone who plays games that require you to have a certain amount of skill to be playable.
That's how I understand it anyway.

Chromanin

Apr 6, 2010
It isn't rocket science. Gaming is a skill like anything else. Think of it as a sport. If you get together with your friends once in awhile to play basketball, you're a casual basketball player. If you play everyday, watch and go to basketball games, and practice constantly to possibly make a career out of it someday, you are a hardcore basketball player.

It's no different with games. If you just play socially with friends on occasion, stick to one console and few games you like, you're a casual gamer. If you own multiple consoles/handhelds, PC game, devote most of your time to playing, and practice and study games in the hope of making a career out of them one day(pro gaming, journalism, developing games, etc.), you're a hardcore gamer.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
It stands for "stupid person" so if someone says you have no "right" to call yourself one, not a bad thing.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
I looked it up on Wikipedia:

"Hardcore (or hard core or hard-core, for many terms) may refer to:" "the members of a group or movement who form an intransigent nucleus resistant to change." Regarding Hardcore Gamer magazine: "Hardcore Gamer concentrates on "hardcore" or niche video game titles, such as Disgaea and Shin Megami Tensei. Every issue contains specialty features which differ from what more mainstream magazines generally cover."

So, one can say the opposite of "hardcore" is "mainstream," and not so much "softcore" or "casual." You can say it is a matter of gaming tastes rather than ability or even dedication, if we rely on Wikipedia as a guide.

Darby

Jul 21, 2010
I would say that a hardcore gamer is someone who spends a lot of time playing games; like, at least three hours a day on average.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
I think a hardcore gamer is a person who plays games actively as a hobby. So, pretty much all of us here.

A casual gamer, then, is someone who plays games... casually. You know, like not very often, or very seriously. Like playing Minesweeper on the bus or something.

Akimoto

Nov 22, 2011
This is my take. Hardcore = Playing the same game over and over using different methods/items and exploring every single corner.

Wait, that sounds more like a obsessive disorder.

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
BloatedGuppy said:
Daystar Clarion said:
What those people fail to realise, is that they aren't me, so are inferior by default.
What happened to you, Clarion? You used to be so nice. Lately you've gone all hardcore.

I'm nice, I've always been nice.

Come here, and I show you how nice I am, with this huge stick.
DUDE I FUCKING LOVE GAME GRUMPS AND JONTRON!:D Like THere what makes me happy about videogames when im not dealing with all the trite discussion that the gaming world is "maturing into"

lol On topic I dont think its that bad of a label as long as your not a dick about it.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
GigaHz said:
I like to think hardcore gamers fall into six categories:

1) Highly competitive gamer (could be professional)
2) Highly obsessive gamer (in a completionist sense)
3) Highly skilled gamer
4) Marathon gamer
5) Masochistic Gamer
6) Dedicated Gamer
I think your list is missing people who are not particularly interested in GAMEPLAY as a challenge, but still obsessively involved with gaming culture as a medium, art form, subculture, etc.

You know, people that feel superior because they play Spec Ops: The line instead of CoD, for playing Psychonauts, for intellectually debating the Mass Effect ending, playing indie art games, that sets them apart from the masses who just want instant gratification in that field, in the same way as gameplay-skilled people like to play harder games, they like to play harder-to-understand games because they are deeper.

GigaHz said:
Do you consider yourself a hardcore gamer?

If you answered Yes: Then you are a hardcore gamer
If you answered No: Then you are not a hardcore gamer

I can guarantee that with about 99% of people that it will be accurate.
The opposite of Hardcore Gamer would be not a poser who only desires to be hardcore, but someone who is genuinely less interested in calling themselves a gamer or identifying with gaming culture.

The very act of calling oneself "hardcore", even with it's negative connotations of elitism, shows the kind of devotion that the phrase is meant to describe.

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
Are you the sort of self-aggrandising douchbag who unironically refers to oneself as "Hardcore"?

If so, then congratulations! You are way hardcore!
Unfortunately for you, most other people DO use the term ironically.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
It's not like it's a term in any real dictionary, but if I had to venture a guess and apply my own spin to it, it's a person who's favored hobby is gaming. Someone for whom gaming isn't a passing hobby that they do very little or among a whole lot of other activities.

sammysoso

Jul 6, 2012
A stupid label used by cultural "gatekeepers."

Do yourself a favor and drop that word from your vocabulary.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
See, this whole thread, I don't get. Where does all the elitism get implied, why are hardcore gamers automatically douches, why is looking down on other people part of the definition? I would, if pressed, agree that I am a hardcore gamer, but wouldn't use the term myself. I think a hardcore gamer is willing to put in the effort to thoroughly understand a game's mechanics and as a result can play the game well. A hardcore gamer is in a position where they can offer advice to others, whether they do or not. There are many varieties, but I don't initially think "Oh, a douche then".