What is a Social Justice Warrior?

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Nurb said:
Can we get that woman in here? I wanna shake her hand. Honestly, that's proper, and I respect it. We need more of that.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Twinrehz said:
Sorry for asking, but I haven't paid much attention to these threads, as they tend to be very long and filled with too many words and not really getting anywhere. So it's quite a simple question, what exactly IS a SJW? What defines him? (Or her).
Put simply, it's the kind of person who would get upset over the fact that you said "what defines him" while putting "Or her" in parentheses  and call you sexist.

geK0

Jun 24, 2011
It's a strawman term used to mock social activism on the internet, it.It would more than a little unfair to brand entire movements as "social justice warriors", but the term is mostly reserved for people who are so vocal about their political ideologies that it's annoying (so they're made fun of).

here's an example of people who most of the internet would refer to as SJWs

Using the term doesn't mean that you oppose gender/race equality, it just means that you find preachy people annoying.

tofulove

Sep 6, 2009
In my mind social justice warrior are people who claim to be for equal rights, but aren't. Women who hate men, people who are not white who are racist, so on so forth. They usually have a huge stick up there but and rant and rave and attack any one who disagrees with them. They clearly hate straight white guys, but hide behind a shield of i am for equal rights so i cant be racist / misandrist. The sad thing is most of them really think they are not racist / misandrist, and think there broad hatred for a huge segment of the population because a minority of that population are assholes. They offer many half ass excuses why they are not racist or misandrist, like the oppressed cant be racist, because you have to be in power to have misplaced hate for others not like you.

Most people who are for equal rights are not like that, but a vocal minority that sadly stands out alot and imo hurt the equal rights movement. I like to think of them as the malcom x's of the civil rights movements of the past. Hate filled bigots who are the byproducts of hate and bigotry.

In case you want my street creds, i am a non heterosexual white male. If i hated all heterosexuals because a portion of them are ass hole bigots, that would make me a bigot.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
TheKasp said:
It is a derogatory term used to discredit someone without adressing their argument. The new "PC" and I don't mean the personal computer.
Sadly, this is the most accurate definition I've seen.

It's a fast way to try and shut down a conversation or shut up a person.

Thanks to a variant of the euphemism treadmill, they'll soon need to come up with a new word, as it seems to be losing steam.

Thanks, Obama!

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
Zachary Amaranth said:
TheKasp said:
It is a derogatory term used to discredit someone without adressing their argument. The new "PC" and I don't mean the personal computer.

Thanks to a variant of the euphemism treadmill, they'll soon need to come up with a new word, as it seems to be losing steam.

Thanks, Obama!
I guess you could define it that way but it has little explanatory power. The best way I can think to define it is; A way to describe social activist. Mostly has a negative connotation.

But by all means lets let both sides spin it however they want.

FEichinger

Aug 7, 2011
A social justice warrior will see an advertising billboard featuring a black person and scream "Tokenism! They're only using a black guy because ", and they'll see the same advertising billboard featuring a white person and scream "Racism! How dare they not represent other races!"

These are the kind of people that overreact to almost every single tiny perceived injustice and scream at the top of their lungs, usually rallying a mob to take down whatever they're opposing this time. Neither the original screamer, nor the rallied mob will give a shit about the truth, or listen to reason. If they have the slightest thing they can twist to be offended about, you can bet they will be offended by it and try everything they can to end it.

What surprises me, is that the Escapist seems to be the only place I've seen that a) has little idea what SJWs are, and b) tries to "reclaim" it, and even seriously discusses the origins of the term. I also find the quick dismissal of the term ("It's nowadays' PC!") pretty annoying. Spending a few minutes on tumblr shows you some very disgusting behaviours that are, sadly, getting a lot of traction purely by relying on mob mentality.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
TheKasp said:

Thanks, Obama!
I see it more about someone who bangs on about their pet issue online to massage their own ego and feel like theyre doing something... Rather than go out in the real world and do something about it and help make a difference.

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
"Social justice warriors" are to social justice as "men's rights activists" are to men's rights.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
TheKasp said:
bjj hero said:
I see it more about someone who bangs on about their pet issue online to massage their own ego and feel like theyre doing something... Rather than go out in the real world and do something about it and help make a difference.
Funny tho. I see "SJW" mostly used in a context where someone brings up a good discussion topic and people flood the thread, yell "stoopid SJW" and try to silence any discourse by undermining the argument with a term that is nothing more than an attempt to insult.

But pray tell: Why can't I discuss certain topics that concern gaming in a gaming forum and at the same time do something about it 'in the real world'? Where do people get this bloody idea that there is some sort of exclusivity in how I can dedicate my efforts.

Discussing topics like the bullshitisement of Ubisoft and their shitty PR department does not cost me any energy. It is not such a giant effort that I can't go on and work on my personal projects, whatever they may be.

No. While the term "SJW" may imply something it has only one use: The one I described.
You can certainly look after your pet projects but, lets be honest a lot dont. SJWs are those who "like" a few messages and forward bits of tat to feel good about themselves for doing "their bit". Explain how theyre better than their less educated and socially aware peers. Its ineffective and its lazy. Heaven forbid they get off their arse and raise some money for a womens shelter, attend marches, protests, talks and the like, maybe even lobby parliament take part in a campaign or approach their mp.

There are people who do this, activists. Sjws are just making the noises to gain attention and feel fuzzy and superior inside. At best its a con, people believing theyre doing something positive without making a difference. At worst its narcissistic and lazy.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
TheKasp said:
But pray tell: Why can't I discuss certain topics that concern gaming in a gaming forum and at the same time do something about it 'in the real world'? Where do people get this bloody idea that there is some sort of exclusivity in how I can dedicate my efforts.
The same place, I suppose, where people get the idea that those who don't want to constantly run into these discussions online are trying to hinder the cause in real life as well.

Remember what the content creator's official stance was when the WGDF comic went up? "If you're offended by this, then you're part of the problem" or something like that. Insinuating that the only reason one would take issue with it was because they felt it talked about them...and if they weren't like that, like those WGDF bird-brains, they'd have nothing to complain about and the only reason to get upset was if you felt that you were uncomfortable with how that comic reminded you of yourself, pretty much.

Soooo, if people are offended when the term "SJW" is used to describe a particular kind of obnoxious behavior...

Alright, I'm just being cheeky here, but I hope you get what I'm trying to say. I understand the expression to mean "You're being obnoxious and holier-than-thou. Quit it" when utilized.

Not "I oppose what you stand for and you should not talk about it anymore."

No. While the term "SJW" may imply something it has only one use: The one I described.
Not really, there's been a thread where the OP used the term to refer to themselves (and talking about reclaiming the title)...so they definitely used it differently. You might say it's predominantly used for what you describe, but that doesn't make it "the only use".

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
They seek out injustice, stand fast against intolerance, hound out hypocrisy & fight for your rights because you're welcome.

sonofliber

Mar 8, 2010
Someone who finds something to ***** about (no matter how small) will make a huge fuss about it, treating it as the most important thing in the world, asume a holier than you attitude, never admit wrong, and usually leaving the party they are "defending" (which, the party doesnt really care, cause, you know, they are actually defending their shit were it matter) looking like ultra sensitive asshats that want everybody to adapt to their whim (even if they are actually striving for real equality, and are a perfectly sensitive and smart group)

like they say, a moron shouting in your group makes your group look like morons

newfoundsky

Feb 9, 2010
Twinrehz said:
Sorry for asking, but I haven't paid much attention to these threads, as they tend to be very long and filled with too many words and not really getting anywhere. So it's quite a simple question, what exactly IS a SJW? What defines him? (Or her).
There are two types of social justice warrior. Martin Luther King, Jr, and the person that accused me of being attracted to children because I said a young girl was ugly.

In all fairness, she was pretty ugly, too.

Twinrehz

May 19, 2014
Country
Norge
newfoundsky said:
Twinrehz said:
There are two types of social justice warrior. Martin Luther King, Jr, and the person that accused me of being attracted to children because I said a young girl was ugly.

In all fairness, she was pretty ugly, too.
In all fairness, you should be allowed to have an opinion on beauty. Not everyone is born a supermodel, and not everyone is special either. Speshul, perhaps, but not special.