What is all the fuss with Danganronpa?

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
From what I can tell, the whole thing is just a really talky Battle Royale Act. I just don't get it. If I'm going to indulge in a tale of kids being made to kill each other, I want full exploitation film style balls to the wall fun, not questionings and...whatever the hell else is in this game.

Ain't saying it can't appeal to someone else, but man, it's lost on me too.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA

My problem with the series is that from what I've read it sounds too much like Saw, and pardon my language, but keep that shit the hell away from my video-games.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Phoenixmgs said:
I very much enjoyed the 2 Phoenix Wright games I've played. The trail system is much better (and more sensical) in Phoenix Wright vs Danganronpa's dumb mini-games where you have to argue with a character for some pointless reason and then the game keeps adding "mechanics" onto those mini-games for some reason.
I hated that specific bit. It's like you're still doing tutorials 80% of the way through the game. It would have been better if they'd introduced all the mechanics for each minigame the first time you play it.

Nile McMorrow said:
As for Danganronpa 2, everything starts to get even wackier but the whole story is harder to figure out (unless you spoil yourself) whilst being a definite improvement over Danganropa 1.
To be fair, one "big twist" is kinda obvious even before Monokuma shows up. *WHY* that was the case was a bit less predictable. And DR2s Ultimate Lucky Student (Nagito Komaeda) is one of my favorite characters in the series. In no small part because he uses and abuses his talent. I might be more a fan of Oma from DRV3 though, though not until I got later in the game. Stupid other characters fucked up his *beautiful* plan.

Nile McMorrow said:
But Danganronpa V3 is the fucking best. Literally can't say anything about it without it being a huge spoiler.
Two things: One, everyone note the while Trigger Happy Havoc and the first anime are the same cases and characters, the DR3: End of Hope's Peak anime and Danganronpa V3 are entirely unrelated. I know *you* know that, but don't want anyone else to get confused. Because the DR3 anime was pretty bad.

Two, let me try to talk about DRV3...It carries on some symbolism from previous titles, like ahoge = protagonist. I wasn't as much a fan of the set of Ultimates in this one most of them were just...dumb, almost like they were running out of ideas after so many of these games. Do I win a prize, Nile?

Also, there's a secret scene you get if you clear the platforming minigame the first time you get an opportunity to try it, since it was intended to be nearly impossible like an "I wanna be the..." game but with sloppy controls and a huge hitbox.

Halyah said:
Fun series. I enjoyed all the games. Then I played V3. Finished the first chapter, ran into the stupid twist, read up to see if it was some piss poor joke and found out about a later twist. Deleted the game from my PC and never looked back. Could have lived with the later twist, but the first one is an example of a trope I detest. So I can recommend all the games, but skip V3. In my opinion it isn't worth.
The one they foreshadow with the case files in the Ultimate Detective's room, or a different one?

Best thing in V3 is Oma, by far. Just not at first. He spends most of the game being insufferable, and eventually it turns around.

Like a less insane Nagito.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
As others have said, it's a style over substance game, and I enjoyed the style. That's my impression in a nutshell.