What is, in your opinion, the best movie of the last 3 years? (Spoilers)

ParanoidEngineer

May 20, 2009
Can I just say damnit, The Dark Knight came out a year too early to be included in this list...

I don't expect much support for this, but Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows was my favourite. Yes it was flawed, but I viewed it as an entertaining romp with two great leads, gorgeous set-pieces and and a soundtrack that I confess did slightly arose me in places (this may or may not be true, but the music was amazing).

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
Probably the Avengers. Yeah, I can't think of much else. I mean, don't get me wrong: there have been other greats in that time, but I don't think that any others have reached the sheer, pure awesome levels of the Avengers. So yeah, that's my personal fave.

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
Dwarfman said:
Nothing has peaked my interest in the last three years movie wise.
If you're trying to be pretentious, then the word is "piqued".

OT: Another vote for Watchmen.

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
Either Inception of Inglorious bastards. They were both fantastic in entirely different ways.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Obviously it's The Scorpion King 3: Battle for Redemption.

Few movies even come close to that.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Stasisesque said:
GonzoGamer said:
The Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus.
I'm a big fan of Terry Gilliam films (they're also good for making you think after you're done watching) and that movie is probably the most TerryGilliamish of all. Also, Tom Waits is the best on screen Devil of all time.
Ever seen The Adventures of Baron Munchhausen? Gilliam essentially tortured a 9 year old girl to make one of the weirdest films I have ever seen.
I've seen all his films and there's always someone who is tortured...usually Gilliam himself. You should see the docs about him making his movies. One (Lost in LaMancha) is about a movie he never even finished - Don Quixote.

Stasisesque

Nov 25, 2008
GonzoGamer said:
Stasisesque said:
GonzoGamer said:
I'm a big fan of Terry Gilliam films (they're also good for making you think after you're done watching) and that movie is probably the most TerryGilliamish of all. Also, Tom Waits is the best on screen Devil of all time.
Ever seen The Adventures of Baron Munchhausen? Gilliam essentially tortured a 9 year old girl to make one of the weirdest films I have ever seen.
I've seen all his films and there's always someone who is tortured...usually Gilliam himself. You should see the docs about him making his movies. One (Lost in LaMancha) is about a movie he never even finished - Don Quixote.
I have seen. I was obsessed with Monty Python in my teens (still am), and decided that, to be the biggest nerd, I'd find and watch/read/listen to everything each of the Pythons did outside of the Flying Circus. I wouldn't say Gilliam is my favourite Python, but as a completist, I know more about him than any sane person should.

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
Stasisesque said:
GonzoGamer said:
I haven't seen Baron Munchhausen, but didn't he torture a 9 year old girl in Tideland, too, and maybe you've mistaken the movie, or am I wrong?

OT: In the last three years, I've seen few movies that do anything to me, just because very few movies have been worth watching again.

That being said, I'd probably say Watchmen or even Where the Wild Things Are, are the only two movies I would even consider rewatching over again (Watchmen, I have rewatched about four times, and I hardly ever do that with any movie, and it is the Ultimate Director's Cut, so I sit for almost 3 and 1/2 hours to watch a movie).

And Where The Wild Things Are also counts, and it's just because I have an emotional response to Max and the Wild Things themselves, the psychology behind it all (Plus, James Gandolfini is a bad-ass), ETC.

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
Stasisesque said:
The King's Speech.

Historically accurate, beautifully written, performed by arguably the most talented British (and Australian) actors around; the costumes were gorgeous, decadent and realistic, the entire ambience of the film drew me in from the word go, and didn't let up until those credits were rolling. It was moving, engrossing, dramatic, even silly at times but never dull.

Just a wonderful piece of cinema; in my mind it was totally deserving of those Oscars - and a few more too!
Too bad it represents everything I hate about my country, the monarchy and the theists. I really don't want to celebrate my country and its failures.

Texas Joker 52

All hail the Pun Meister!
Jun 25, 2011
Damn. For me, that's a really hard choice to make... After all, lets go through the list of movies I've really liked recently, though I'm not sure some of them are within the past 3 years.

Zombieland

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

The Dark Knight

Iron Man

Iron Man 2

The Avengers

The Warriors Way

RED

Dark Shadows

Starship Troopers 4

TRON: Legacy

Inglourious Basterds

And really, the list goes on. I can't decide!

Stasisesque

Nov 25, 2008
nathan-dts said:
Stasisesque said:
The King's Speech.

Historically accurate, beautifully written, performed by arguably the most talented British (and Australian) actors around; the costumes were gorgeous, decadent and realistic, the entire ambience of the film drew me in from the word go, and didn't let up until those credits were rolling. It was moving, engrossing, dramatic, even silly at times but never dull.

Just a wonderful piece of cinema; in my mind it was totally deserving of those Oscars - and a few more too!
Too bad it represents everything I hate about my country, the monarchy and the theists. I really don't want to celebrate my country and its failures.
Man, the reasons you hate it are the reasons I love it. I'm also British, if that matters. It probably doesn't.

shogunblade said:
Stasisesque said:
GonzoGamer said:
I haven't seen Baron Munchhausen, but didn't he torture a 9 year old girl in Tideland, too, and maybe you've mistaken the movie, or am I wrong?
Sarah Polley, played Sally - he essentially treated her like a prop. I have not mistaken the film. :)

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
Raven said:
I'm gonna go with Inception. Fantastic cast, interesting, original storyline with depth and emotional character development. Wonderfully shot, superb set design and ground breaking visual and special effects. Thumping score and superbly paced.... Can't think of much more you'd want in a film.

If someone complains that it wasn't as smart as it thought it was I'd like to know when the fuck did films become self aware!?
Shadowstar38 said:
I think the Dark Knight still takes it for me. It's one of the only movies that never gets old after a couple watches, and the second best Batman related anything(After the Animated Series).
These are the only two movies I could stand to watch during the last three years without getting bored. I saw Inception twice and understood everything, and the Dark Knight is well, really fucking good.

That and Pixar. Everything minus Cars 2 and Brave because I haven't seen it yet.

bl4ckh4wk64

Walking Mass Effect Codex
Jun 11, 2010
Escapees isn't a new term...

Not sure if it came out in the last three years, but I absolutely adored Ip Man.

Elect G-Max said:
Dayum, is there anything you can say good about any modern movie? I mean seriously, I was positive the hipster movement died out a year ago or so, but I guess I'm wrong...

Dwarfman

Oct 11, 2009
Nimzabaat said:
Dwarfman said:
Nothing has peaked my interest in the last three years movie wise.
If you're trying to be pretentious, then the word is "piqued".

OT: Another vote for Watchmen.
Thank you for spying my bad grammar. No I am not being pretentious. Simply put nothing has really piqued my interest. Yes there was the Avengers and the Dark Knight and Watchmen, but ultimately I expected those movies to be great.

Not that I've been to the movies much recently, but really there hasn't been a movie out there that's made me think "Yeah I'll watch that for kicks" and then once I'm leaving as made me think "Wow". If that's pretentious...well shit.