What is it with gamers and doom?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Phht.

The only real game is Tetris.

Anything that came after Tetris is dumbed down, consolized, artless populist junk churned out to be sold to mouh-breathing casual gamers for an easy profit. All of which signifies the dreadful downfall of the industry.

So there.

[sub]Huh. This doomsayer lark is kinda fun.[/sub]

Still Life

Sep 22, 2010
Doom is the pinnacle of Gaming. It has gone to hell and back just to slap you in the face for being a n00b, before teleporting you into a pwnage chamber. Gladiator style.

[sup]Wait a minute....[/sup]

Oh, yes. People and soapboxes. I think it's a shame that a few people don't know how to construct a topic which incites genuine and prolific discussion. Instead, we often are treated to rants and thinly veiled school-yard politics.

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
Saying gaming is dying is BS, however there is nothing wrong is saying that gaming is in decline, and by that I mean not souly in a business sense but as a past time for its own sake and the sake of the person who is making the statement.

Imo gaming has made an overall decline this console generation. With the big publishers owning a every increasing monopoly and how its getting harder for smaller publishers and indies to make money in the core sector. PC games becoming dumbed down console games. The lack of inovation and how makers are risk adverse. GameStop, Sony Hacking with ID & CC theft becoming an possiblity. The region locking on the 360 and how there is no way to make your home console accept imports (unless you JTAG), The piracy on the PSP and DS reaching epic proportions. The unreliability issues with modern consoles ie 360s RROD.

DLC bullsh1t. DRM BS, games been released in beta form which might not even see a single patch to fix the bugs. How every AAA game is either a MMO, FPS or TPS with niche games becoming rarer. The rise of the "hollywood" blockbuster games that need massive marketting budgets to sell. How adverts are starting to creap into gaming with a risk of gaming on XBLA becoming like cable TV. The rise of online gaming and how traditional single player games are seeing crappy tacked on online modes (Bioshock 2, Deadspace 2) which in theory take away time and resources from the single player campaign.

Add in how devs are creating games that try be a jack of all trades master of none to please every body and none. The console FPS kiddies and how retarded they act to each other. The Japanese industry and how their home market has totally diverged from the western one, with gamers having totally incompatable tastes and the rise of handheld gaming over home gaming.
The graphics arms race and how devs are creating games with a insane amount of visual content over traditional gameplay content like intresting quests, (eg Morrowind over Fallout 3, (I fear for how bad Skyrim will be like) The western rpgs and how theyre turning to just FPS / TPS with a party and larger story.

Although I will add that its not all doom and gloom classic 2D games have made a comback, and the shear amount of great games coming out this year which I hope will live up to my expectations.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Gamers are technophiles and in technology the paradigm shifts very quickly. So gamers are quickly to assume everything can and will follow this lead and suffer several great changes right about now.

Sometimes they're even right!

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
I never bought into the whole doom and gloom thing ever. I mean, how long has gaming been in decline now? 20 years? I remember hearing the same stuff about gaming being in decline and lacking creativity five years ago. Like the old picture goes, PC gaming: Happily "dying" since 1985.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Death is what defines humanity and everything it creates. Doomsaying is an anxious way of observing and admiring what we have.

Grabbin Keelz

Jun 3, 2009
My dog is dying, oh god!

Pleaase Bailey, dun dieeee! I luuuv you :'(

*ahem*
See, the problem with all these claims is I haven't actually seen any of them ACTUALLY die. People keep saying they do and yet another day arrives and I wake up to find it's still there. So screw internet news.

Biodeamon

Apr 11, 2011
too many post-apocalyptic video-games.

people now think the slightest downfall is the end of days.

mirror's edgy

Sep 30, 2010
People are talking about games with mature and varied opinions that differ from what I'm used to.

REPENT SINNERS!! D:

Nov 12, 2010
Simple,Tv is already dead and everyone who has accepted that has moved on.
Movies are still around if only for hanging onto TV and the internet
and games are dying in the sense that you will be considered weird for playing them as the group mass will soon ,if not already,partake in the Industry.The game industry's loner phase is dying and some people who have come to reject the world and all which they see as popular do not like that.You see false prophets all the time,for crying out loud,the world ended last month!

Denariax

Nov 3, 2010
I came into this thread expecting "Doom 3" to be in here somewhere.

I'm happily disappointed.

Also, it's probably because of nukes.

Aug 21, 2010
it's this forum - a very fast moving forum, with lots of young users with opinions, that they need to express. This results in several recurring threads, most common of which seem to be:

Gaming is dying
Poll: help me justify the purchase I saved 3 months' paper-round money to buy
So you wake up in a game and its the zombie apocalypse and what's your best weapon?
Thoughts on whether [insert heavily promoted unreleased game] will be good

Because no thread stays on the first page for more than about 2 hours unless it gets a crap-ton of replies, these all keep repeating themselves

go on to say, rllmukforum.com, and it's just grown men talking about what they are currently playing or looking forward to playing

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
This thread will never last, you can see it's declining. Not a single post in the last 10 minutes, it's obviously coming to an end. :(

Aug 21, 2010
Sapient Pearwood said:
This thread will never last, you can see it's declining. Not a single post in the last 10 minutes, it's obviously coming to an end. :(
Its state of decline has left me in despair n9OytIRUvr8[/youtube]

ahappycamper

Jul 13, 2009
That is a silly notion, on a completely unrelated note:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gXGRCI4tBY

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Well, it's a damn classic, with the shotgun, bfg, pink demons, it's all good.

Oh. Riiiight.

Well, I'd say it's because we get screwed over more than fans of movies, music, etc.

In no other media can a company make you pay extra for a missing chapter of the story. Or refuse to refund something that is essentially broken. Or refuse access to parts of the product if you didn't get it new, which to be fair sometes works out pretty good, but still...

We've come to expect such treatment, sadly, thus the pessimism.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
ps:
Still Life said:
Doom is the pinnacle of Gaming. It has gone to hell and back just to slap you in the face for being a n00b, before teleporting you into a pwnage chamber. Gladiator style.

[sup]Wait a minute....[/sup]
God damn you, sir.