What is it with people and fanfiction?

Angelblaze

Jun 17, 2010
Serious question, because many of the mentions of fanfiction I've heard from non-fanfiction writers/those who dislike fanfiction have been generally rude and uncharitable.

A majority of the fanfictions I've read are actually incredibly well done by talented young fans of the series they are writing for, some with and some without sexual content.

So is it just because of the large amount of sexual content or perhaps poor writing? Do you guys have any specific feelings on the matter?

Captcha: Do you like to cook? Depends, who am I cooking?.....

For I mean.

leviathanmisha

Jun 21, 2009
I write fanfiction, because honestly, it's sometimes easier to play in someone else's sandbox than it is to create your own. At least with fanfiction, you can hone your talents before you try anything like an actual novel.

Also, hello Hannibal. ;)

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
Fanfiction gets a pretty bad reputation because it's the source of the most horrid literary work you will ever read. I mean there's absolutely no prerequisites for fic writes. Just put some words on a paper. Don't worry about spelling or grammar. Or story flow. Or characterization. No. Just shove all the stupid tropes you can into one jumbled mess. And knock off scenes from Naruto in an MLP story. That works too.

Although, strangely, not everyone sucks as it. There's actually some really great fics out there and I'm actually glad I got into it.

But fuck General Sprinkles dude. There's a special place in hell for that guy.

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
Most fanfiction sucks. You'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who would dispute that.

I've read some fan-fiction, and none of it was good. Maybe the fact that absolutely none of it is canon and thus has absolutely no meaning whatsoever makes it feel less worth my time, but just in general it's often crap. Being a fan already makes you a terrible choice for writing about the subject matter, because no matter how much you know about it, you have established preferences and no frame of reference for how it all began. Some fans can overcome that and write good stuff; I am aware of that. Most can't. That's why fanfiction has such a bad rep.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
I'm guessing those who dislike it probably don't like: the liberties taken with the source material, the differences in style or basically anything that is not officially canon.

Personally, I don't care much for fanfiction. I don't have a problem with it, I'm just content enough to leave the story as is based on the author's/developer's vision.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
The main problem with fanfiction, in my opinion, is the spotlight-stealing writers.

No, you're not the hero of the story. No, you're not Hermione's long lost childhood friend who is destined to become her lover. No, you're not the mysterious lady who's going to steal Aragorn's heart. Quit it with that shit.

And then there's the entire Draco in Leather Pants trope:

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
People who write fanfiction do so because they aren't creative enough to come up with their own characters and universe, so they have to piggy back on someone else's work. That's why I don't want to read fanfiction, because if those writers actually had any talent they would be able to come up with their own shit, and possibly attempt to actually publish it.

Miss G.

Jun 18, 2013
Angelblaze said:
Serious question, because many of the mentions of fanfiction I've heard from non-fanfiction writers/those who dislike fanfiction have been generally rude and uncharitable.

A majority of the fanfictions I've read are actually incredibly well done by talented young fans of the series they are writing for, some with and some without sexual content.

So is it just because of the large amount of sexual content or perhaps poor writing? Do you guys have any specific feelings on the matter?

I think anyone who IS interested in fanfiction but keeps finding all the sexual content, Mary-Sues and other poor writing should just look for good recommendations. After all, people do the same when looking into books, movies, TV, games etc - surely works based off of them run the same gamut ranging from the drivel of lowest common denominator to masterpieces that you can enjoy.

I treat fan-fiction like their own works. I love quality fan-fiction, especially the ones that seem like they could've been written by the author of a work or seem even better than the original and I wish the fan-fic writer was in charge of the writing, and then there are the kinds that do crossovers with great blends of the works they're borrowing from. Some of them bring more depth, new spins on the original's concepts, and add more things to explore and enjoy to a fandom when done well.

I love video-game fan fiction and the best ones always make the world I'm exploring more immersive in a written format, mostly in terms of my favorite characters of the game e.g Arcawolf's Devil in the Mirror series. It stars the main trio of Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep being trapped in the world of Silent Hill and how deeply it psychologically scars them and taints their once innocent relationships with one another. Even if you don't follow the games they're based on the 'game universe'-related parts are presented in exposition that's weaved properly throughout the story that, at its heart, is about three teenagers on a routine search mission turned nightmare when the youngest disappears. It takes everything they have to find him, keep sane, stay together and just barely make out alive. The second work in the series begins 8 months later and explores how they're dealing with their trauma and broken trust issues in a believable fashion. As a fan of good psychological horror I find it to be quite the compelling read and it makes use of Kingdom Hearts' concept of traveling to different worlds to make a crossover that makes sense without being weird. If anyone's interested here's the link on Fanfiction.net http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8508559/1/The-Shrouded-Path and the sequel http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9219860/1/Those-Who-Fight-Monsters and if you want it in WIP-style it's here on AO3 http://archiveofourown.org/users/Arcawolf .

staika

I am Tizzy's Willing Slave
Aug 3, 2009
I think that the biggest reason it gets a bad rep is because of the number of just terribly awful ones, they tend to cloud the ones that are actually decent. I write fanfiction from time to time, I really only do it for the enjoyment of writing an alternate story in the games universe. I do have to say that I do hate it when people take the existing character and change their personality around to something that's not even remotely to what they were originally.

I don't write fanfiction often and I never put it up on the internet since I like to write my own stories more. But it's an enjoyable hobby and something I like to do from time to time.

Angelblaze

Jun 17, 2010
Dirty Hipsters said:
People who write fanfiction do so because they aren't creative enough to come up with their own characters and universe, so they have to piggy back on someone else's work. That's why I don't want to read fanfiction, because if those writers actually had any talent they would be able to come up with their own shit, and possibly attempt to actually publish it.
I write fanfiction and I'm actually working on my unique work.

thanks for the over-generalization I guess?

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Angelblaze said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
I write fanfiction and I'm actually working on my unique work.

thanks for the over-generalization I guess?
Then maybe you should stop writing fanfiction and work on your unique work.

I've actually known quite a few people who say that they write fanfiction to practice for when they write their own novels. Out of the few who actually started writing I have yet to meet one who finished their book, or even got more than half way done.

So...good luck I guess.

Sabitsuki

Apr 20, 2013
My feelings are that I don't particularly care to read it, most of it doesn't appeal to me at all.

That doesn't matter though. I think it's a generally positive practice. It's just a form of writing done by people who enjoy writing, or enjoy whatever they are writing about. Most of them aren't trying to be professionals. We don't need to hold these people up to some arbitrary standard and tell them "This is not how you are supposed to express yourself." It's no different than someone who loves to draw, drawing fan art of something they love. We should encourage people who take an interest in writing, not demonize them in order to stroke our own egos in terms of what we believe is 'proper' writing.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
What put me off the hobby when I quit 10 years ago was largely summed up thusly: fanfiction seemed to attract the least tallented with the most ADD. It's rare enough to find anything good, or even readable, and things may have changed since, but back then, it was rare for me to find anything developed much past the origin. Basically you'd find something with potential, find it went through the motions of dumb jokes, explaining newly added lore or unexplained lore from the series, new pairings, karmic vengeance against hated characters, and then the writer gets bored and starts again with a new series, crossover, or general takes. To paraphrase one of the last things i read, a fanfic aurthor thinks they know better than the original one, yet rarely gets to the plot.

When I compared output at the time to creators of AMVs or webcomics, there just didn't seem to be any point to continuing a hobby of people that didn't give a damn.

Angelblaze

Jun 17, 2010
Sabitsuki said:
My feelings are that I don't particularly care to read it, most of it doesn't appeal to me at all.

That doesn't matter though. I think it's a generally positive practice. It's just a form of writing done by people who enjoy writing, or enjoy whatever they are writing about. Most of them aren't trying to be professionals. We don't need to hold these people up to some arbitrary standard and tell them "This is not how you are supposed to express yourself." It's no different than someone who loves to draw, drawing fan art of something they love. We should encourage people who take an interest in writing, not demonize them in order to stroke our own egos in terms of what we believe is 'proper' writing.
Thank you. :) really appreciate that, very positive and I can agree with that...

Redd the Sock said:
What put me off the hobby when I quit 10 years ago was largely summed up thusly: fanfiction seemed to attract the least tallented with the most ADD. It's rare enough to find anything good, or even readable, and things may have changed since, but back then, it was rare for me to find anything developed much past the origin. Basically you'd find something with potential, find it went through the motions of dumb jokes, explaining newly added lore or unexplained lore from the series, new pairings, karmic vengeance against hated characters, and then the writer gets bored and starts again with a new series, crossover, or general takes. To paraphrase one of the last things i read, a fanfic aurthor thinks they know better than the original one, yet rarely gets to the plot.

When I compared output at the time to creators of AMVs or webcomics, there just didn't seem to be any point to continuing a hobby of people that didn't give a damn.
Ao3 sees alot of good work from what I've seen. A great example would probably be the From the Darkness We Rise series (yes, romantic/sexual Malexmale content, Rise of the Guardians based but incredibly well written with TONS of emotional suspense, some action, some comedy, a little of everything.)

http://archiveofourown.org/works/642848

Dirty Hipsters said:
Then maybe you should stop writing fanfiction and work on your unique work.
Doing both at the same time - I want to make this good and it can't be rushed, I am tackling a tricky sort of political action-ish, GoT meets type scheme and I want to make sure thought and care goes into every word. I want to build the world one word at a time...

And that takes time. Some times I need to relax and do something less serious, other times I just literally am put into a position where I can't write.

Lots of people outside of writing don't understand this but...a unique story takes a hell of alot more time on the creative front then a fanfiction...

Shocker.

No offense meant by the way.

FootloosePhoenix

Dec 23, 2010
Well it's like pretty much anything on the Internet; mostly shit, but there are still gems to be found. I used to be really into the whole "fan fiction scene" when I was younger, I suppose, but my interest in it began and ended while in my very early teens. I'm not going to say what series I primarily wrote and read stories related to but my god man, the yaoi. Though maybe FanFiction.net was/is just like that anyways.

I did find it incredibly fun to explore some of my favourite fictional worlds and characters deeper through writing about it. Of course just writing fan fiction is not going to get you places if you plan on taking your writing seriously, but it can be a very enjoyable distraction.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Eh, there are worse ways to kill time. Besides, I much prefer exploring possibilities within my favorite shows/games/cartoons than trying to make sense of someone else's grand attempt being the next J.R.R. Tolkien or Stephen King.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Dirty Hipsters said:
People who write fanfiction do so because they aren't creative enough to come up with their own characters and universe, so they have to piggy back on someone else's work.
I wouldn't say that holds true for all of them, but it is a driving reason as to why fanfiction exists in so much quantity.

Dirty Hipsters said:
That's why I don't want to read fanfiction, because if those writers actually had any talent they would be able to come up with their own shit, and possibly attempt to actually publish it.
Well, you know - baby steps. One doesn't just write a book, they usually start out small, and fanfiction is a comfortable niche for that start. And who knows - not everybody wakes up one day and goes "You know what, I really want to be a writer, let's start a book now" - some start out with fanfiction just like a hobby and then decide this writing thing is actually appealing.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
DoPo said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
People who write fanfiction do so because they aren't creative enough to come up with their own characters and universe, so they have to piggy back on someone else's work.
I wouldn't say that holds true for all of them, but it is a driving reason as to why fanfiction exists in so much quantity.

Dirty Hipsters said:
That's why I don't want to read fanfiction, because if those writers actually had any talent they would be able to come up with their own shit, and possibly attempt to actually publish it.
Well, you know - baby steps. One doesn't just write a book, they usually start out small, and fanfiction is a comfortable niche for that start. And who knows - not everybody wakes up one day and goes "You know what, I really want to be a writer, let's start a book now" - some start out with fanfiction just like a hobby and then decide this writing thing is actually appealing.
Show me a writer who started as a fanfiction writer and then transitioned to legitimate literature and had a decent original book published.

50 Shades of Gray doesn't count.

An yes, you're right, most writers don't just sit down and write a book. They tend to write down hundreds of ideas for characters, settings, etc, and then out of those creations they sometimes pick some that they think would go well together, and begin weaving a narrative. You know why fanfiction doesn't facilitate this kind of writing? Because the largest half of the work, characters and settings, have already been written for them, and if they keep writing nothing but fanfiction they'll never be able to progress to any kind of real writing because they won't know how to construct a believable character or an interesting setting of their own.