What is noscope? And other "stupid" questions about games you've been too afraid to ask.

kurokotetsu

Proud Master
Sep 17, 2008
Kiardras said:
onion panzer said:
some snipers (especially the ones that play comp) do quickscope at close range because it out damages the smg and they are skilled enough to reliably get headshots.
Quickscoping isn't skilled. Whilst it takes a modicum of effort to quickscope, its easily one of the most pathetic ways to play the game. Its stuff like that that drove me away from online FPS. I don't mind getting killed by someone better than me, or by a talented sniper, but some n00b quickscoping all his kills is just pathetic.
In TF2 the scope is withou animation normally, passing form your normal view to the scope in a certain time (.2 seconds form what I read). You can't shoot while the transition is happening which is what most quickscopers do. Also unlees you are scope as a Sniper there are no headshots, which deal significantly more damage. Also classes move at different speeds, and the Scout for example in close ranges stays only a fraction of a second in your sihgtlines at close range. From this difference in mechanics you are going to see not a lot of new players quickscoping, and even headshot isn't instant death as in other games. Pyros, Demos, Soldiers and Heavies at full healt will survive a quickscope (although gravely debilitated) and will probably kill you. Only advanced players do quickscoping in TF2, and even then it happens rarely (one of two matches I've seen in competitive play have had quickscopes). Also the Team aspect is important in quickscoping to terminate wekened enemies.

wizzy555

Oct 14, 2010
Dingobennyfred said:
I have a question: How hot is too hot? I do all my gaming on a laptop (Lenovo y510p), which I have little to no technical knowledge of. If a play games like Farcry 4, with full graphics, it's not quite as hot as a hair dryer in heat, but still kinda hot. Is this kind of heat harmful? I can add a cooling module, I think. Is any kind of heat exhaust harmful? Games that use the Source engine on this laptop are quite cool, but most modern AAA games can be somewhat scalding. Am I harming my computer?
Get an app that lets you see the temperature of the components (such as speccy, realtemp, gpu-z).

Look up the model number for the technical maximum. But if it actually hits that the computer will either throttle itself (slow down) or simply cut out. Usually >80 or 90 is bad, > 100 is critical, but depends on the brand.

Generally make sure the air vents have lots of space and aren't covered by the table. Maybe balance the laptop on a book for more ventilation

If it's getting too hot you can use a vacuum cleaner to suck out dust in the fan and heat sink, this can work wonders.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
My "stupid" gaming question is where the hell did "tryhard" come from? Moreover, why the hell is "tryhard" an insult?

I've only encountered it in shooters, particularly of the duty calling variety. But still... isn't trying hard to win a good thing? I'd want my teammates to try their best to win.

Granted, the Call of Duty community isn't one that seems particularly smart when it comes to its insults. I always get a laugh out of players on the losing team shouting "noobs win!" at the end of the game. Hey dumbass, if you lost to a "noob," what do you think that makes you?

cdemares

Jan 5, 2012
I'm pretty embarrassed about this one. Is the FGC an actual organization? Because the "Fighting Game Community" is always spoken of like it's something super important and official. I've seriously heard of them having spokespeople. It sounds self-important, unless there's some actual membership roster, governing body, etc.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Tuesday Night Fever said:
My "stupid" gaming question is where the hell did "tryhard" come from? Moreover, why the hell is "tryhard" an insult?

I've only encountered it in shooters, particularly of the duty calling variety. But still... isn't trying hard to win a good thing? I'd want my teammates to try their best to win.
I tend to reserve "try hard" for when CoD players go from standard players to pulling bullshit tactics to win. The moment I see quickscopers, bunny hoppers, C4, drop shotting and in some of the games (Blops II and MW3 especially) headglitching. Oh I see, they've decided to exploit the faultier aspects of the game to win. They can go fuck themselves.

The people of my town call it "being sweaty" as in you're trying so hard that you're sweating playing the game. It makes the insult all the more irritating.

kris40k

Feb 12, 2015
onion panzer said:
Windknight said:
ok, what is this 'based' thing that pops up in regards to a description of something (based mom, etc)? is it a 'comical' misspelling of best or something?
TopazFusion said:
Windknight said:
ok, what is this 'based' thing that pops up in regards to a description of something (based mom, etc)? is it a 'comical' misspelling of best or something?
I too would like to know this, because my dyslexia keeps causing me to read the word as "biased".
LordLundar said:
TopazFusion said:
Windknight said:
I too would like to know this, because my dyslexia keeps causing me to read the word as "biased".
That's not surprising, it's a misspelling of biased that became a meme.
it's a misspelling of blessed
No. Just, no. Well, at least these posts made me finally register after lurking for years.

"Based" was coined by rapper Lil B aka "Based God"

According to an interview with him:

"Based means being yourself. Not being scared of what people think about you. Not being afraid to do what you wanna do. Being positive. When I was younger, based was a negative term that meant like dopehead, or basehead. People used to make fun of me. They was like, "You're based." They'd use it as a negative. And what I did was turn that negative into a positive. I started embracing it like, "Yeah, I'm based." I made it mine. I embedded it in my head. Based is positive."

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/based-god

Based Mom got the nickname Mom from GG supporters, who eventually became Based Mom as she became beloved by many of them.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
BathorysGraveland2 said:
Why do people think female Shepard has a good voice actress?

Aye aye, it's fully subjective. But female Shepard always seemed really Michelle Rodriquez-y to me. 'Ya know, trying to sound as hard and as badass as possible, and thus failing in the process. A Sigourney Weaver she ain't.

In comparison, I find male Shepard to be so much more natural sounding.
Well, you kind of said it right there: "It's fully subjective."

It'd be like me asking, "Why do people think tomato tastes nice in a toasted cheese sandwich? I think it tastes disgusting."

Anyway, if I had to rationalize it, I'd say it's because she emotes and puts a bit of nuance into her voice. Dude Shep always sounded flat and bored to me, like a tired parent reading an overlong bedtime story.

To be fair though, I think he has better comic timing and he improved drastically throughout the series. By the third game, I actually liked his performance.

Also, FemShep's renegade voice can be a bit... hissy, but I play like 80% paragon, so it was never an issue for me.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Oh, I have a question of my own.

What is "overclocking"? In layman's terms.

I am given to understand it is some kind of arcane PC ritual that increases performance somehow, but beyond that I have no idea.

Does it involve pentagrams?

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010

Granted, the Call of Duty community isn't one that seems particularly smart when it comes to its insults. I always get a laugh out of players on the losing team shouting "noobs win!" at the end of the game. Hey dumbass, if you lost to a "noob," what do you think that makes you?
I've seen tryhard mean two things in my time.

First, is someone who blames everything but themselves when they die or lose. They'll blame the weapons, the map, the reload times, literally anything but themselves. They're the people who would send in death threats over a weapon getting a .02 second increase in reload time.

Second, is the person who takes the will to win too far. Having a will to win isn't bad, when you start berating other players and the like, it becomes a problem. Tryhard is usually used to tell someone that they need to calm the fuck down and realize they're playing a game.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Zhukov said:
Oh, I have a question of my own.

What is "overclocking"? In layman's terms.
When you take a clock and put it on top of another clock.

Zhukov said:
I am given to understand it is some kind of arcane PC ritual that increases performance somehow, but beyond that I have no idea.
Sort of. Though I wouldn't really call it arcane, though it does resemble a ritual. Essentially, in layman's terms, you've summed it well. It increases performance. That's pretty much about it, really. It could be paraphrased as "raising the Hz" because that's what happens - you can have a, say, 2 GHz processor and overclock it to 2.5 GHz or even 3 GHz. Which increases the performance because, you know, it now works faster.

The term comes from the fact that processors have a clock speed (what gives you the Hz number[footnote]it's actually a clock speed and tick rating - for example, 20 ticks each at 100 MHz would produce a 2GHz[footnote]the maths is dead simple: 100 MHz x 20 = 2000 MHz = 2 GHz. The tick rating is also known as "multiplier" for precisely the reason you see here[/footnote] [/footnote]), when you increase that clock speed you are overclock-ing it.

Zhukov said:
Does it involve pentagrams?

YEEE-

no. Actually. It's much more boring than that. You just restart, oveclock, run your PC, see how it behaves (does it crash, does it turn on, etc) and then...repeat the process. It's a trial and error requiring patience more than anything. You repeat the process until you get stable results and you can't go higher. Or whatever - you can stop earlier, if you want.

There are few variables you can tweak - clock speed, CPU multiplier and voltage, being the most important ones. The first two give you your CPU speed, but after increasing that for a while, you might need to increase the voltage, because now the CPU requires more power. The other thing, aside from power consumption, that overclocking increases is heat output, so you could also try to improve your cooling somehow. Usually means installing a new one, whether it is a bigger fan with more RPM, a better radiator or something like liquid cooling or even submerging your PC in oil[footnote]yes, that's a thing - it does help cooling[/footnote].

It's really annoying to do it, since you have to restart every time - you change the clock speed/tickrate and the voltage from the BIOS. It should just be that, in fact - go to BIOS and find where it says something about CPU and it should give you the option to change these values (you do need an unlocked CPU, though, some can't be overclocked). And also annoyingly, you could set the CPU frequency to something that doesn't run at all, which means you have to open your case (you probably want to leave it open anyway), find the jumper that resets the BIOS on the motherboard[footnote]it probably says "Reset" next to it, alternatively, check your motherboard documentation[/footnote] and short circuit it. Yeah, that's it - the jumper consists of two pins sticking up - get anything that's conductive (a screwdriver can work) and touch both pins. Done. Reboot. For the record, you can apply the same technique to turn on or reset your PC as they use the same kind of pins. At any rate, the other annoying thing is that it's not exactly the CPU speed that matters but it is the clock speed and multiplier - 10 x 200 MHz and 20 x 100 MHz (for example) both give you 2 GHz but one could work, the other one not. You have to go through a lot of variations of these two parameters to see what would actually work for you. Finally, you want to use something to measure the temperature (as I said earlier in this thread - I use SpeedFan, myself) and then force your CPU to be under load (simplest way - download and run Prime95) - observe your CPU for a few minutes and see if it doesn't get too hot too fast.

I think that's mostly it, really. That's overclocking. Well, CPU only, but the video cards operate in broadly the same way. You can also overclock RAM but it's pretty much useless - not much benefit for a lot of work.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Evonisia said:
That's why it's often used as a joke in TF2, because TF2 is one of few games where noscoping and quickscoping are simply not valid tactics (and thank fuck for that, quickscoping at the very least is inherently balance breaking).
Now that they have the Classic sniper rifle in the game, TFC style no scoping is possible again. Which is nice because I never used the scope with the Sniper rifle in TFC. That limited your field of view a lot and it didn't even have the simulated scope view, it was just zooming in on the stuff right in front of you.

syaoran728

Aug 4, 2010
sageoftruth said:
In fighting games, can someone explain what Okizeme means, and what it means for a fighter to have good/bad Okizeme?
Ok so "okizeme" is about the options a character has after knocking an opponent to the ground. Fighting games have so many different ways to attack(lows, highs, cross-ups, throws) that require different defensive moves. After dropping an opponent on the ground, no matter what you get to make the next offensive move and they have to respond to it. A good okizeme character like Akuma in Street Fighter 4 forces your opponent to either guess ahead of time what you're is going to do or respond to it at the very last second. The word "okizeme" comes from Japanese martial arts and was applied to Street Fighter back in the day and eventually became part of fighting game lingo. "Vortex" is sometimes used instead among English speakers, but it means the same thing.

Mezahmay

Dec 11, 2013
This is less of a general gaming question as much others, but I've been curious about this one for years. Is it possible to play through a BioWare game without pursuing relationships with the NPCs? If so, how much is the experience impacted? I almost only hear about people's companion relationships in BioWare games and that stuff really doesn't appeal to me.

EDIT: Answered. That is all.

XDSkyFreak

Mar 2, 2013
Mezahmay said:
This is less of a general gaming question as much others, but I've been curious about this one for years. Is it possible to play through a BioWare game without pursuing relationships with the NPCs? If so, how much is the experience impacted? I almost only hear about people's companion relationships in BioWare games and that stuff really doesn't appeal to me.
It's perfectly possible to do it. Hell, you can even cancel a romance initiated by accident. As for how much it affects the experience ... well you allready said it doesn't appeal to you, so you are not loosing out on much. Though if you do decide to give bioware brand romance a chance, do it in the Mass Effect games. Those ones range from competent to good to d'awww as oposed to the Dragon Age ones which allways felt ... artificial to me. I know right? It's easier for me to romance a weird blue space lady or a girl who lived her whole life in a personal enviro suit than it is with the cast of Dragon Age (with the posible exception of Merrill. I like Merrill).

Mezahmay

Dec 11, 2013
XDSkyFreak said:
It's perfectly possible to do it. Hel, you can even cancel a romance initaited by accident. A for how much it affects tge experience ... well you allready said it doesn't appeal to you, so you are not loosing out on much. Though if you do decide to give bioware brand romance a chance, do it in the Mass Effect games. Those ones range from competent to good to d'awww as oposed to the Dragon Age ones which allways felt ... artificial to me. I know right? It's easier for me to romance a weird blue space lady or a chich living her whole life in a personal enviro suit than it is with the cast of Dragon Age (with the posible exception of Merrill. I like Merrill).
Excellent! I may actually check out one of their games now. Thank you for your time.

XDSkyFreak

Mar 2, 2013
Mezahmay said:
Excellent! I may actually check out one of their games now. Thank you for your time.
Glad to have helped. And it just dawned in my mind now that they actually made a mechanic out of avoiding the relationships at least in Mass Effect 2, where you had the option to stay loyal to your ME1 love instead of trying out some of the new posibilities (if the ME1 love was absent which meant either Ashley/Kaidan as Liara shows up in a DLC and you can invite her over your cabin to refresh things).

And if you really want a gauge on the impact: you lose out on a scene that happens each game before the final mission where you can get intimate with your chosen partner (in ME, in DAO you can ask them to come to your tent several times, in DA2 and DAI you have several scenes of dialogue and intimacy, but nothing truly linked to the overall story). That and some dialogue scenes where you win over the chosen partner. That's about it.

One final piece of spoiler free advice, if you go for playing through the Mass effect games without romancing anyone: be carefull with Jack in Mass Effect 2. She is very easy to initiate a romance with.

Brennan

Mar 21, 2014

Others have already chimed in with different definitions, but my own perception has always been that a "tryhard" is someone who's more focused on being perceived as a badass than actually trying to play better, and actually playing worse as a result. A tryhard is someone who tries to pretend expertise he doesn't have in chat, overdoes his toon in garish/tacky cosmetics, and makes a point of showing off his "moves" during play, all the while failing in ways that make it painfully obvious he really only has, at best, a "cargo cult" understanding of what he's doing.

Think of mall ninjas, balding 45-year-olds trying to dress 16, the Justin Bieber Kalvin Klein ads, or Miley Cyrus's "sexy" stage performances. "Tryhard" is like the gamer version of that.

BathorysGraveland2 said:
Why do people think female Shepard has a good voice actress?

Aye aye, it's fully subjective. But female Shepard always seemed really Michelle Rodriquez-y to me. 'Ya know, trying to sound as hard and as badass as possible, and thus failing in the process. A Sigourney Weaver she ain't.

In comparison, I find male Shepard to be so much more natural sounding.
This might sound odd at first, but I found it actually makes a HUGE difference what face you give her.

If you try to give her a more severe "badass" looking face, like default femshep (or Sigourney Weaver), the vocal performance feels badly overacted. If you give her a soft, overly youthful looking face, it comes off like a kid playing pretend, much more so than the face alone would.

The thing that made it work for me was a face that looked mature (by which I mean "adult", not "old"), but relaxed instead of hard or angry. It's still a little off in places, but it's really surprising what a difference the face/voice combo can make. Get it wrong, and it's a little like hearing James Earl Jones's voice coming out of Micheal Cera's face, or vice versa (that's an exaggeration, but hopefully you get the idea).

Noticing this in the Mass Effect games has really made me think having multiple full voice options for each gender (like in the Saints Row games) is actually kind of important if a customizable character is gonna have voiced dialog.

Brennan

Mar 21, 2014
SaneAmongInsane said:
In Killzone 1 on the PS2, the Sniper Rifle was a one hit kill. It didn't give a targeting reticul when you were scoped though, but then I quickly realized I could just stick a piece of tape on the screen and went about slaughtering people online

At least until they patched it to make 100% in accurate when you don't use the scope.

(Fond memories of Killzone 1, I don't know why more people don't talk about that games' online)
I never played the multiplayer, but as I remember it (loved the game back in the day, played through it many times), the sniper rifle in KZ1 did have a reticule. In fact it was kinda distinctive in that it didn't work like a normal one: when you scoped in, moving the right stick would move the reticule around the screen instead of moving the screen with the reticule staying in the center. It was the sort of thing that would have worked just fine with a mouse, but I remember it being kinda challenging with an analog stick, since the reticule wanted to rubber band back to the center.

I usually ended up using the ISA SMG's alt-fire as a sniper a lot because it balanced out as being better than the actual sniper rifle for sniping. The SMG's alt fire had more spread, but the suppressor made it so if you missed, the enemy usually couldn't tell where you were even though they were alerted. They'd try to hunker down instead of returning fire, but since they couldn't tell where they were being shot at from, there was a decent chance they'd hunker down in a position that left them exposed on your side. And of course the scope reticule behaved like a normal scope reticule instead of the weird way the actual sniper rifle's did.

Idsertian

Legacy
Apr 8, 2011
Silentpony said:
If the game runs fine, no lag or clipping or loading issues, why does the FPS matter so much? And how can you tell the difference between high .vs low if low already runs perfectly smoothly?
Here, this should help you:

http://30vs60.com/

The argument isn't really about "higher is better", the argument is more about "60 is better than 30". 60fps is not only smoother and more pleasant to look at, it results in better response times from the game and smoother gameplay overall. Anything higher than 60fps is often for bragging rights anyway, because most monitors aren't capable of displaying the frames above that, as they refresh at 60Hz (i.e 60 frames a second). Monitors do exist with higher refresh rates, but aren't as common and are a bit more expensive than their 60Hz counterparts (in my experience).

To put it simply: 30fps is stop-frame animation. 60fps is watching your favourite band live. Unless there is something actually wrong with your eyes, which is a thing, though I don't know what it's called off the top of my head, you will see a difference between the two. Not only that, but you can feel the difference in how the game responds; it won't drop input commands on you for no reason, for instance.

It's difficult to explain without an actual example to hand. The best thing I can do is to say take a game you know runs at 60fps on your machine, and use your driver control panel (CCC for AMD, nVidia Control Panel for nVidida) to force the refresh rate to 30hz. Play for a bit, then reset it and play again. You'll notice the difference straight away. Or just look at the link above, you'll soon tell the difference.