What is religion?

Cama Zots

Jul 10, 2009
Anything that constitutes a organized belief system. And when I say anything I do mean ANYTHING. Even things that you might not want to consider a religion...

Lazier Than Thou

Jun 27, 2009
grimsprice said:
After all you need these ignorant masses if you want to progress human kind. Dealing with the devil to bring us one step closer to Zion.
The truth hurts and I don't care if they ignore it. You ignore truth at your own peril and I will not shed a single tear for a man who hears truth and disregards it because "it hurts."

By the way, I'm not "act[ing] all high and mighty on [my] throne de dictionary." I'm sick of the stupid that seems to infest conversations. Do you know how many conversations I've had where I've been forced to argue semantics simply because the other person has no understanding of what they're saying? I'm certain you know how frustrating that is. This is not to state that I'm smarter, but is to state that those specific actions are counter-productive and should be disregarded.

Then again, I'm lucky. I believe in God and believe I will be judged based upon my own actions and have no need of trying to progress humanity towards Zion. Zion will be achieved if people work towards it and makes no difference to me if it is not seen within my life time or even ever. Sad, perhaps, but fortunate for me.

grimsprice

Jun 28, 2009
Lazier Than Thou said:
-furry of a thousand suns-
You're giving me a chuckle. Not because you're wrong or anything. In fact, mostly because you're right. I would get enraged every time i have to do that if it were not for the surgery i went through a few months back. I had my righteous anger vein replaced with an apathy artery. Now, my intelligence flows into my brain instead of out of me into the cold pitiless black hole of ignorance and stupidity that is the interweb.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
grimsprice said:
Suiseiseki IRL said:
I am tired of seeing the word "religion" in threads.

Putting the word "religion" in a thread for the next week should be punishable by forced feeding of McGriddles.

You shall be forcibly fed until Morgan Spurlock mounts a protest. Then he will be sprayed with mace, and the forced feeding shall continue.
Oh come now its not that bad. What would the escapist be without religious and communist threads? Would we talk about the new wow expansion and the new ZP? That sounds lame to me. Take out the threads that people claim degenerate into flaming and what do you get? A lot of nose picking.
Actually, considering it's a gaming website, it's rather sad that Gaming Discussion is second to OT Discussion in posts and content.

Lazier Than Thou

Jun 27, 2009
grimsprice said:
Lazier Than Thou said:
You're giving me a chuckle. Not because you're wrong or anything. In fact, mostly because you're right. I would get enraged every time i have to do that if it were not for the surgery i went through a few months back. I had my righteous anger vein replaced with an apathy artery. Now, my intelligence flows into my brain instead of out of me into the cold pitiless black hole of ignorance and stupidity that is the interweb.
Dear sir, show me the magical haven where you obtained such a surgery! I have found myself in slavery to other mens stupidity and wish to be free!

Freedom!

/cry

Craig FTW

Mar 25, 2009
(I think) that 'Religion' is the idea of a group of people having a belief in something that cannot be fully seen or proven, and a belief in something that comes with following a moral code to develop a connection with the enitity/entities that that certain group believes in.

I think. O_O

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
According to current definitions it could mean any sort of worship and/or faith to any sort of object, person, or being.

For instance, for one physchologist wrote a paper on how World of Warcraft meets all requirements for a religion

http://www.massively.com/2009/02/03/is-world-of-warcraft-a-religion/

KarumaK

Sep 24, 2008
Religion to me?:

Ancient science that refuses to change with the times. It hold fast to what it believes and never acknowledges evidence against itself.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Gormourn said:
canadamus_prime said:
Religion is a tool for controlling and manipulating the ignorant stupid masses, always was and always will be.
If you're going to quote Lenin, at least do it right =P

Cult, religion, delusion, same things.
I wasn't quoting Lenin, I was quoting me. I was unaware the Lenin had said anything even remotely similar.

Avykins said:

There ya go.

Where I am from, Jesus would have been considered a nutjob and anyone who was foolish enough to actually believe the voices in his head would be called idiots.
That works too.

Ivellios25

Oct 22, 2008
In my opinion, religion is mostly what assholes use as an excuse to do bad things to people who may or may not deserve it. Except for in a few cases where good people use it as an excuse to do good things. But what is it, indeed? The belief in something by which you live your life? Or is that what they call a "life philosophy"? Perhaps that's what religion is, merely another term for a philosophy.

Vimbert

Aug 15, 2009
Nurb said:
For instance, for one physchologist wrote a paper on how World of Warcraft meets all requirements for a religion

Heaven help us.

grimsprice

Jun 28, 2009
Lazier Than Thou said:
grimsprice said:
Lazier Than Thou said:
Dear sir, show me the magical haven where you obtained such a surgery! I have found myself in slavery to other mens stupidity and wish to be free!

Freedom!

/cry
I am truly sorry. He was a traveling salesman. And i didn't get a business card. Hang in there though. You'll give up eventually.

Westy215

Aug 31, 2009
Well religion is basically a possible answer and refuge for all those seeking answers to things that are currently unexplaneable like the afterlife and the origins of the universe. So in a way science is in fact similar to a religion and could almost be called one however the flaw in that is that science uses facts and logic whist religion usually takes a wild stab in the dark.

reinersailer

Sep 3, 2008
I think, the different religions are a trial, to find out the best way for people, living together and now we are educated enough to take the best of every religion, connect it with knowledge and so we find the way out of the museum of our mistakes. Have a look at http://www.reinersailer.de/Universum.pdf

peachadelic

Aug 29, 2009
irefusetoincludenumbersinthisname said:
Nurb said:

Heaven help us.
Even among theologists there is no clear definition about what's a religion and what isn't.
Like the example with World of Warcraft, others have already stated that the "cults" formed around certain media figures have a lot of similarities with religions.
It doesn't have to involve spiritual or supernatural beliefs.

As in so many discussions about religion I read here, people seem to think that religion equals Christianity, which is a little narrow view.