What is the best main gundam and what is the worst?

tonyh900

May 16, 2010
By main gundam I mean the white, blue, red, yellow, and green colored ones that are piloted by the main character like heero in wing or setsuna in 00. My favorite is build strike gundam from build fighters and by extension strike gundam from seed since build strike is a modified strike gundam. And for my worst I'd say victory gundam because there's only like 3 colors that I've seen n it and there is way too much white from fe feet up to about mid torso which to me looks ugly for a gundam. But that's my opinion what are you're thoughts?

Majinash

May 27, 2014
I'm doing to be a huge downer and say... none of them. I find that all the main gundams in every series are far less interesting than most of the others. In Wing deathscythe, heavyarms and even sandrock had more personality, and Epyon was leagues better than Wing Zero. In G-Gundam the God Gundam was cool and all, but Dragon Gundam and Gundam Maxter and even the Russian one (name escapes me) seemed cooler. And in 00 Setsuna had by far the lamest Gundam of the four, even the badguys had better ones.

Supporting cast always has cooler Gundams than protagonists.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Best- Either the Unicorn Gundam or Gundam Exia (I would say 00 Quanta but that that only show up at the end). Sure Unicorn is all white but its details make up for that (less is more) and I did liked how close combat Exia was when others would of wanted more range of their Gundam. (Bare in mind I haven't watch any of the US Gundam other than Unicorn.)

Worst- Destiny Gundam. To me it just look really plain and unimaginative since all they did is they just refine the Strike Gundam packs (gun. sword and wing) into one in a bad way.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I'd have to agree that as much as I liked the Wing Zero iteration, my default favorite Mobile Suit has to be Dethscythe Hell. Just so much more epic looking (and my favorite to use in any of the games that offered it, especially Battle Assault). My second favorite one to pilot in games was Char's Zaku, because despite it being technically inferior I still felt it was bad-freakin-ass (as was Char himself).
Epyon, while uber-cool looking was so overpowered it almost felt like cheating to use it... but still was an epic look. Now I want to get Dynasty Warriors: Gundam again, all of them. I loved that series, which is why I have high hopes for the Hyrule iteration of DW.

tonyh900

May 16, 2010
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
I'd have to agree that as much as I liked the Wing Zero iteration, my default favorite Mobile Suit has to be Dethscythe Hell. Just so much more epic looking (and my favorite to use in any of the games that offered it, especially Battle Assault). My second favorite one to pilot in games was Char's Zaku, because despite it being technically inferior I still felt it was bad-freakin-ass (as was Char himself).
Epyon, while uber-cool looking was so overpowered it almost felt like cheating to use it... but still was an epic look. Now I want to get Dynasty Warriors: Gundam again, all of them. I loved that series, which is why I have high hopes for the Hyrule iteration of DW.
Yeah I want to get the new DW gundam but I also want to import the new gundam extreme vs because it looks like a badass gundam game.have you thought about trying the wing game on the snes/sfc or thought about emulating it? That game was freaking fun.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
I've never liked the main characters' Gundams as much as everyone elses', probably because I just don't like the colour scheme. If I had to pick though I'd probably go for the original Gundam, just because it has kind of a classic look. Really though, Char's Zaku 2 was far more badass... Or actually anything Char ever piloted was, for that matter, and he always picked far better looking colour schemes too.

Coruptin

Inaction Master
Jul 9, 2009
Turn A gundam all day every day:
Designed by syd mead
In fiction logical conclusion of all technologies in the entirety of gundam meta even the ones not created yet
Its fictional universe is the Correct Century not universal not future not plain vanilla AD it is the mudderfukin correct one
It can shoot a beam directly into the cockpit of an enemy using remote teleportation
It can fully repair itself from any damage using nano-machines son
It can revive a dead pilot using the same technology
It can activate a weapon dubbed the moonlight butterfly which can destroy all technology from earth to Jupiter
Last gundam series by creator tomino (until the new unreleased show comes out)
Cute as hell pilot
Sick mustache

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
I'll go with Wing Gundam/Wing Zero as my favorite main Gundam, primarily because Gundam Wing is my favorite series. Although the Deathscythe models are my favorite mobile suits in general.

Least favorite? Can't really say. If you asked me a long time ago it would have been the original main Gundam because it looked so plain and boring compared to newer ones. But that is pretty unfair to go after the original, and it's incredibly iconic, and I appreciate simpler designs nowadays.

tm96

Feb 1, 2014
I think my pick for the best Gundam will probably Gundam Strike, Strike Rouge since its identical to Strike and only different cosmetically and maybe Impulse . I think of the Strike as almost a Swiss army knife since it can equip different packs for different missions making it useful to have multiple Strike units on hand.

My least favourite is Destroy for two reasons.
1) Its too big making maneuverability through cities a pain.
2) This somewhat ties into 1. Collateral damage is way higher when compared to other mobile suits. Think of it as a nuke only without the radioactive fallout but with a higher death toll and far more intimidating.
Also Stella. Just Stella

Edit: I just realised this was about main Gundams but I'll leave my criticism of Destroy as it is.

Jul 9, 2011
The ground-combat Gundam and the Ez8, because it comes the closest to capturing the original intent behind Gundam; that is to say, a machine whose capabilities are far exceeded by those of its pilot. The original Gundam also had this in spades, but the Ground Gundam wins due to the literally more down to earth story surrounding it.

Worst would be pretty much anything post G-Gundam, where the designs get more and more style and less and less substance. Special mention goes to the Unicorn's Destroy Mode. No better way to ruin a fantastic understated design than by throwing glowing red veins all over it.

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
You really can't go wrong with the Crossbone X-1

For worse...I'm gonna go with the Age-3, just because I hate the pilot.

Shanahanapp

Apr 8, 2013
For best I'd say either the 00 Gundam (that head design) or the Crossbone X-1 (that cloak).

For worst, I'll honestly have to go with the Turn A Gundam. I don't hate it, but the head just always bothers me. It doesn't look at all like a Gundam. I mean, no V-fin at all? Seriously?

Jul 9, 2011
Shanahanapp said:
For worst, I'll honestly have to go with the Turn A Gundam. I don't hate it, but the head just always bothers me. It doesn't look at all like a Gundam. I mean, no V-fin at all? Seriously?
I've never liked this reasoning. For one, the Turn A DOES have a V-fin. For another, why does a Gundam need a V-fin at all? It's probably the one design motif of Gundam that I dislike the most solely because of how attached people seem to be to it.

Both the GM Head ( http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/File:Rx-79g-gm-head.jpg ) and Ez8 ( http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/File:Rx-79g-ez8.png ) are as capable as (and in the latter case, looks better than) their original V-finned designs. The Unicorn Gundam's single protruding horn makes it look unique among lead Gundam designs, and its all-white color palette hearkens back to the '79 Gundam's original desired color palette. (Then it goes Destroy Mode and defecates all over itself...) Even that new G-Self turns the V-fin into something like cat ears.

I dunno, I think a lot of Gundams could do to omit the V-fin, honestly. (And the mouth lines, for that matter.) It's a holdover from the design aesthetics pre-'79 Gundam, and more often than not it clashes with a suit's overall design.

SuperBelkar

Jan 20, 2012
Gundam, just the original gundam for me, but I've always been a fan of Mass Production models like the Zaku.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Well if we are going with aesthetics and design

1) Zeta Gundam
2) Unicorn Gundam
3) Wing Zero Custom
4) Freedom Gundam
5) Strike Noir Gundam
(as if I could choose one)

Honorable mention
Gundam Deathsycthe Hell Custom
(sorry Duo but you aren't the main character)

Worst

Destiny Gundam
-Its not terrible looking but its like they took every weapon they could think of from previous gundams and just threw them together without any rhyme or reason. It just looks like a cluttered mess.
Turn A Gundam
-Again I don't hate the design but...dat mustache. Took awhile to get used to the design.

Shanahanapp

Apr 8, 2013
gandhi the peacemake said:
Shanahanapp said:
I've never liked this reasoning. For one, the Turn A DOES have a V-fin. For another, why does a Gundam need a V-fin at all? It's probably the one design motif of Gundam that I dislike the most solely because of how attached people seem to be to it.

Both the GM Head ( http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/File:Rx-79g-gm-head.jpg ) and Ez8 ( http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/File:Rx-79g-ez8.png ) are as capable as (and in the latter case, looks better than) their original V-finned designs. The Unicorn Gundam's single protruding horn makes it look unique among lead Gundam designs, and its all-white color palette hearkens back to the '79 Gundam's original desired color palette. (Then it goes Destroy Mode and defecates all over itself...) Even that new G-Self turns the V-fin into something like cat ears.

I dunno, I think a lot of Gundams could do to omit the V-fin, honestly. (And the mouth lines, for that matter.) It's a holdover from the design aesthetics pre-'79 Gundam, and more often than not it clashes with a suit's overall design.
I guess a better way to put it is I don't like it's take on the V-fin. Sure, some have been different but it's is by far the most out there. I guess it is just a personal taste thing. I feel like it rarely clashes. The Ez8 does look more military and more likely I suppose but I also think it's less striking.

Also it's hard to argue against the fact that the Turn A Gundam has a mustache (or maybe whiskers?).

Jul 9, 2011
Shanahanapp said:
Also it's hard to argue against the fact that the Turn A Gundam has a mustache (or maybe whiskers?).
Mustache. Definitely a big ol' Devilishly Evil Bad Guy Mustache.

I feel like the Turn A is one of those designs that just slowly, slowly grows on you. I hated its design when I first saw it, too, but as the years have gone by, I've come to really appreciate how different it is from other lead Gundams. See also: Turn X... which I guess is still just X, but anyway.

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
Darn, here I thought the thread was going to be about which Gundam series from the main Universal Century was best and worst. Oh well.

For best, out of what I've seen and just going by the aesthetic design, I'm going with the Wing Zero Custom from Endless Waltz. Yeah, the angel wing motif may be overdoing things a little bit, but I thought they were pretty striking (and the Perfect Grade model is just overall badass).

Worst, I'm going to have to agree with Shanahanapp and say the Turn A Gundam. I will admit, I have not had the opportunity to watch that particular series, so maybe it would grow on me, but the overall look of it just doesn't work for me. That or the ZZ Gundam, which is just a bit too bulky looking for my tastes, compared to Heavyarms from Gundam Wing for instance.