What is the best starter Pokemon?

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
I haven't really played past Crystal, but in the original games I usually went with Bulbasaur. Strong as hell against both Brock and Misty and works well on the way there. Weakest would be Charmander since he sucks against Misty and to my memory isn't very good against Brock.
He'll grow up to be a fucking dragon though.

In Crystal I always went with the fire one. First time I chose the water type and didn't do very well.
Only remember the first gym leader and the Bell tower, and there a fire type was awesomesauce.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
T0ad 0f Truth said:
I'm leaning towards Totodile because it's an awesome Alligator monstrosity.

It probably would've been Squirtle, but I don't really like Blastoise or Wartortle very much.
I'm sorry T0ad but your opinion is wrong and Badasstoise is very disappoint with you.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Anoni Mus said:
Charmander, Charmeleon and Charizar were all three great evolutions, Charizard is probably my favourite Pokemon. I also liked Squirte and its evolutions, never really liked Bulbassaur, but lately I think he's not so bad.

Always hated Typlosion, he's one of the worse starters. Chikorita and Totodile are ok, specially this last one. en 3 is Torchic all the way, Blaziken is one of my favourite Pokemons. The water one is one of the worst starters, the leaf one is also pretty cool.
Never played later gens, except Snivy, which was cute, but its attacks sucked a lot, or maybe because he's useless for the style I play.

Gen 4 starters looked weird at first, but right now I think they all look awesome. I'd like to train them all.

Gen 5 is meh and 6 isn't looking good either, I'm waiting for the final evolutions.
Gen 4 has Torterra: Earthquake, Wood Hammer, Stone Edge, Crunch => Game over man. But it's also ugly and slow as molasses. My favourite gen 4 starter is like Piplup because it's adorable, shame it's so terrible until it becomes Empoleon.

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
SkarKrow said:
T0ad 0f Truth said:

It probably would've been Squirtle, but I don't really like Blastoise or Wartortle very much.
I'm sorry T0ad but your opinion is wrong and Badasstoise is very disappoint with you.
Blastoise is the definition of a too conservative design!

Plus he looks fat and bulbous in the originals :p

Having said that he's still cooler than the majority of poketto monsters XD

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
T0ad 0f Truth said:
SkarKrow said:
T0ad 0f Truth said:

He looks like a fucking Don.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
I have to give this one to Totodile. He's the only starter Pokemon that really truly like enough to want to keep on my final team, despite there being other Water type Pokemon from Gen 2 I'd really like to use.

I use Pikachu in Yellow because...why play Yellow and not use Pikachu, and I use Infernape in Diamond because my only other options were Magmortar and Heatran...

But yeah, Totodile (and by extension Feraligatr) I love enough to really want to use him in my team.

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
SkarKrow said:
T0ad 0f Truth said:
SkarKrow said:
T0ad 0f Truth said:

There are real turtle's more intimidating than Blastoise :p

Much like with Emboar, I am disappoint.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
T0ad 0f Truth said:
SkarKrow said:
T0ad 0f Truth said:
SkarKrow said:
T0ad 0f Truth said:

There are real turtle's more intimidating than Blastoise :p

Much like with Emboar, I am disappoint.
There are real turtle's more intimidating than your face! :p

Emboar is just a giant mound of disappoint -_- I don't like any of the gen 5 starters very much though, Oshawott is fine but he's just boring to use. And Snivy just doesn't have any moves that make it stand out against other grass types.

SuperScrub

May 3, 2012
My favorite is Infernape, why? Cause s/he's quick and strong he can learn a wide variety of moves to cover his/her weaknesses and s/he's a pyrokinetic kung fu monkey, what other excuse do you need.

nasteypenguin

Mar 2, 2011
I've always loved Totodile! He's cute, cuddly and could rip your ****ing arm off. That said, I can't not mention Squirtle, even if everyone else already has! and he just keeps getting better, it's like a god damn arms race with him.

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
SkarKrow said:
Indeed... Hence the picture I posted :p

Emboar is just a giant mound of disappoint -_-
Yes he was. A fire boar would have been incredible. When I first saw Tepig announced, I was excited, because I thought we'd get a Fire pokemon version of this

I expected it to be little more kid friendly of course, but still.

And I did actually really like Oshawott and it's evolutions, but I didn't like Black enough to play through again with it instead.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
T0ad 0f Truth said:
SkarKrow said:
Indeed... Hence the picture I posted :p

Emboar is just a giant mound of disappoint -_-
Yes he was. A fire boar would have been incredible. When I first saw Tepig announced, I was excited, because I thought we'd get a Fire pokemon version of this

I expected it to be little more kid friendly of course, but still.

And I did actually really like Oshawott and it's evolutions, but I didn't like Black enough to play through again with it instead.
Emboar could have stood to not be a bloody fighting type again.

Also, Oshawott was fine, but not interesting, he just kinda of did a job of being a decent offensive water type with okay speed and okay defences.

Snivy is cool, Serperior looks cool, has a horribly shallow movepool though.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
Cyndaquil. Learn Thunderpunch and shit on water types. Not to mention Typhlosion is a badass name.

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
The lack of Mudkipz in this thread is making me sad.

Do you liek mudkipz?

In terms of power DW-Blaziken is stronger, but Swampert is still one helluva strong starter. Surfer/Earthquake Stabs? Sure!

All hail Mudkipz!

Dr. Doomsduck

Nov 24, 2011
Chikorita, how can you say no to this sassy-cute little face.

On a more practical note, I always got the feeling that fire-pokemon are rare when you're just starting out, so it might be good for team-balance to pick a fire-starter, rather than the grass or the water ones.