What is the last book you finished, and what did you think of it?

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
Binnsyboy said:
I think there's a lot we agree on, you and I.

That book is literally a converted Twilight fan fiction, if you were wondering why the plot is similar.

Mainly, I'm offended as a writer that it exists and is getting so much acclaim. Basically a giant middle finger to everyone who actually puts effort into their work.
Yeah, that offended me too. In the version I read there were so many typos and mistakes that I just can't believe someone gave it the green light and published it. When I write a page I go over it a ton of times just to double check for mistakes. I could rant for ages on this book and the sex scenes were not even that sexy!

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Padwolf said:
Binnsyboy said:
I think there's a lot we agree on, you and I.

That book is literally a converted Twilight fan fiction, if you were wondering why the plot is similar.

Mainly, I'm offended as a writer that it exists and is getting so much acclaim. Basically a giant middle finger to everyone who actually puts effort into their work.
Yeah, that offended me too. In the version I read there were so many typos and mistakes that I just can't believe someone gave it the green light and published it. When I write a page I go over it a ton of times just to double check for mistakes. I could rant for ages on this book and the sex scenes were not even that sexy!
That said, I would listen to the whole book on audio tape if this were real

I would listen to anything if it was like that.

Bruenin

Nov 9, 2011
Lord of the Flies...

it was rather meh... I loved Simon... so I got really pissed but other than that... it didn't feel like anything special... not even with all the super special, super amazing, symbolism.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Hatteras Blue by D.C. Poyer. I got it from a box of books that had been donated to the middle school my mom works at that would be a bit over most of the students' heads along with several other books. I'm really glad that I got it because it was a really good book in my opinion.

CanuckWithSideburns

May 9, 2012
Binnsyboy said:
CanuckWithSideburns said:
A Storm of Swords - George R. R. Martin
Definitely my favourite book of the Song of Ice and Fire series so far and definitely one of the best-written books I've ever read. What set it apart from the other books, for me, was how well-paced it was. There were no "throwaway" chapters, no moments that halted the story's momentum. Every single chapter just kept building to a series of brilliant climaxes. I loved every minute of it, could not put the book down.
Do yourself a favor and dive face first into A Feast For Crows.

I'm going to let you know ahead of time, A Feast For Crows and A Dance With Dragons focus on different characters in parallel. Only the end few chapters of A Dance With Dragons actually take place chronologically after A Feast For Crows, as 'Crows characters start getting chapters again.

In any case, George RR Martin may be God.
I'm actually about 700 pages through Feast for Crows at present, but I appreciate the head's up all the same :). I have to admit, the pacing of Feast is a mite awkward at times, I thought the Dorne material in particular was a tad rushed. But, I understand that Maester Martin has a lot to set up and the other storylines have really drawn me in. Can't wait to see where it all ends up going.

Xian_Frost

Jul 18, 2010
I finished of the City of Ships book of the Stravaganza series. I like the idea of two different worlds existing next to each other and how the main characters travel between the two.

It also rekindled my interest in Renaissance Italy. I really recommend this series.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
I'm nearly done with the Divine Comedy, but I haven't finished it yet.
The last book I finished was "The Man Who Was Thursday", by G.K. Chesterton.
It was really interesting, and the cast of eccentric characters were really novel to me. I was really mad though that "IT WAS ALL A DREAM", but I guess I should have figured it out by the subtitle being "A Nightmare". Then again, I guess in 1904 (or somewhere around there, can't remember precisely), that twist hadn't already been done to death.

Savryc

NAPs, Spooks and Poz. Oh my!
Aug 4, 2011
Snuff by Terry Pratchett. Brilliant as always, but holds a special place seeing as Vimes is quite possibly one of my favourite characters in fiction.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
The Great Shark Hunt: Strange Tales From a Strange Time by Hunter S Thompson. It was about 600 large pages with small print, so by word it may very well have been the longest book I've ever read to completion. It was amazing. I could have done without the excerpts from his other books which I intended to read separately and the campaign sections were confusing as hell out of context, but overall it was a great book. So much variety and wonderful journalism, from political unrest to riots to sports to hippies to drugs. I probably read it faster than any other book, too.