What is the minimum age of Gaming?

RobJameson

Mar 18, 2008
Completed C&C and Doom aged 3, I remember playing some levels of C&C pretty well but that's about it.

I've gamed all my life

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
I started at age 2, don't remember the game though. Firstgame i remember playing is prolly the comander keen series.

Didn't play online till way later, cause it wasn't that avalible at the time, and 56k dial up pay pr byte modems was the standart, but hink i was about 12-13 when i started playing CS and Diablo 2 online.

I don't see any problem with kids playing games, just wish some of them would stay out of online games, but then again, some of them play well, and some people my age plays and acts like retards online as well, so i guess it doesn't neccecerily come down to teh age after all...

RhanathShadowhand

Jul 12, 2010
Hahah :D I started with Mario, and my mom, being a gamer herself too, taught me all the shortcuts all over the game in Super Mario Bros. 1... I'm proud of myself... Well my family is a bunch of gamers, and so am i. So is my gf, and so will be my kids <3 :p

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
thecoreyhlltt said:
yeah pong would be a good starter, that's what i started with. try directing him to addictinggames.com or jgames.ch , they have a lot of fun easy games that'll help develope his hand-eye-coordination. just make sure he steers clear of thing-thing arena, might be a lil too violent and bloody for his age... :)
Thanks, i'll definitely try those out.....But i can't help but be a little skeptical as to whether or not i can make him wait while i LOAD any flash games. Still worth a try.
and he can't steer clear of anything.....cause he has no idea what an "internet" is. :p

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Belladonnah said:
Nouw said:
I started when I was 6-7. I'm South Korean by the way, so quit thinking I'm a Starcraft addict xD! My first game I believe was Maple Story, a fantastic game which now unfortunately bores me.
When was your first GSL?
I'm sorry, what is a GSL?

Rayansaki

May 5, 2009
Nouw said:
Belladonnah said:
Nouw said:
I started when I was 6-7. I'm South Korean by the way, so quit thinking I'm a Starcraft addict xD! My first game I believe was Maple Story, a fantastic game which now unfortunately bores me.
When was your first GSL?
The biggest Starcraft and Starcraft 2 league :D

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Belladonnah said:
Nouw said:
Belladonnah said:
Nouw said:
When was your first GSL?
The biggest Starcraft and Starcraft 2 league :D
Ah you see I didn't really like Starcraft as a kid probably because I never heard from it again after playing like 30 seconds of the first Zerg Campaign in the original game. I was into other RTSs (cough Dawn of War) by the time I was at the age in which my Korean peers loved Starcraft.

I'm not your usual Korean mate :D

Liam Moriarty

Feb 22, 2010
since I was 5 if you count gameboy, 10 when I got a ratchet game, deadlocked, my first shooter ever, and 13 when I got an xbox 360.

StraightToHeck

Booby booby bum bum.
Oct 13, 2010
I observed my brother and mother playing games on our N64 since I was at least 3, I actually started gaming at around 7

minimum age for gaming? - well age, and time in general, is relative so no

Andantil

May 10, 2009
I've been playing videogames since 5 and I was pretty good at them even then; first game I played was Turok: the Dinosaur Hunter and I beat it several times.

The "minimum age" just depends how intelligent and perceptive the child in question is.

Chainsaw_Chuck

Dec 7, 2010
I don't know when I started really, My mom had an NES since before my brother (3 years older then me) was born and my dad always let us play Wolf3d, Duke Nukem, and Half-Life. So yeah, it's been a while.

By the way, I'm 17 now

Urahara

Nov 25, 2010
I started when I was around 7 or 8. A friend gave me their old Gameboy because the GBPocket had just come out, and I played that thing to death. Personally, I wish I'd been started on games a little later as until that Gameboy was in my hands I'd not really thought about playing with one and would have probably spent a lot more time outside if I'd not had it. Still, I'm glad that I started on a handheld console that I had no choice but to stop playing when it got too dark or the batteries ran out.

My nephew is 3 and I'm facing the same problem as OP, mainly because games are so much more complex compared to when I was his age. When I look after him we only really play Poképark on the Wii but he really struggles to associate a certain movement or command with it's corresponding action on screen.

Personally I'd probably not introduce my kids to video games until they were around 6 at least. There's no real need for children younger than that to get into gaming in my opinion, there are so many other things they could do instead and enjoy just as much.

SkyeNeko

Dec 30, 2010
Aaaas the first child and daughter of two avid gamers i grew up fairly privileged in the gaming arena. They seriously went out and bought their first computer just so me and eventually my bro could also play games.

Continuity

May 20, 2010
I started at about 6 or 7, at least on a friends atari anyway, my parents didnt have a very high opinion of gaming and consequently I never had a console. My first gaming system was an amiga 1200 that I bought myself at about age 13.
Anyway I used to have a similar problem with a neice (sp?) who was about 4, she wouldn't leave me alone when I was Playing games, I tried to explain how they worked but she clearly didn't understand and would just get excited and bash the keyboard. IMO I think the keyboard is an issue for young kids. Either way I'd say 6-7 is a good starting age, won't grasp everything at that age but will at least be able to play.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
Minimum age.. Zero. Really as soon as they pop out they can game for whatever i care. I dont expect them to jump onto Team Fortress right away (Though actual babies on the opponent team would have "Heavy" entertainment value.

Played starcraft when i was 4-5 (Alternative to Television.. Father paralized me with restarting the turtorial level every time i had completed it...).. Figured out how to play an RTS when i was 6 (Easy AI anyway.. You know the ones that wont do anything while you hit them). Played Warcraft III online when i was 9 (Seriously thought Gay was another word for Guy for the longest time, caused some interresting conversations). Learned fluent English at the age of 10 (Fluent as can be). Continued on to world of warcraft (wow)... Which is kind of a timewasting black-hole in the timeline of videogames.