What is the most difficult, but enjoyable game you've ever played?

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
mikey7339 said:
And there's always QWOP.

http://www.foddy.net/Athletics.html
Ahah yeah, I still haven't beaten QWOP. I will, one day.

Mass Effect 1&2 on insane difficulty. Got my ass handed to me several times, but still enjoyable.

An example of the opposite. CoD:WaW on hardest dificulty. It's an exercise in grenades and failure. Not fun.

CulixCupric

Oct 20, 2011
sheogoraththemad said:
games like amnesia and penumbra, it's had because it's so damn scary. but damn it's enjoyable.
eh, I beat amnesia, on Halloween night, but night isn't scary, as I'm nocturnal, due to light sensitivity. this lead to not getting scared, and got through the game without needing light in-game either.

Varitel said:
If you want a PC game with an absolutely maddening difficulty curve that manages to still be thouroughly enjoyable (and if you haven't played it already), pick up Psychonauts on Steam. It's not expensive, and is a definite classic. It's one of those games that you can't possibly hate no matter how damned frustrating it can be sometimes.
Have it, both on ps2, and Steam, and beat it on both. Notch is funding a sequel, at least a rumor is that this is happening, and I hope it's true.

Idlemessiah said:
Mass Effect 1&2 on insane difficulty. Got my ass handed to me several times, but still enjoyable.

An example of the opposite. CoD:WaW on hardest difficulty. It's an exercise in grenades and failure. Not fun.
I dislike FPS games. I'm an old-school rpg fan. FPS feels like Point-click-dead, then I'm bored, and my aim sucks, SUCKS.

Boggelz said:
Not exactly a PC game but Fire Emblem is one of my favorite games ever and i still can't beat the damned game.

Ironically Fire Emblem thread just popped up too
eh, played it, and it's ok, but the plot is a bit poor. easy at the start, and half-way through the game, the difficulty spikes to insanity.

Isalan said:
If you like a grim, dark RPG Witcher and Witcher 2 will kick your ass all day long. Witcher 2 was absolutely brutal til they patched it a few weeks in, and they recently bought out Dark mode which is super difficult, but unlike a lot of games actually features new items only available on that difficulty.

Plus, the developers are a great bunch.
Um, beat both.. Had to play the 2nd on a rez of 480 X 320. had to go into the settings ini and make it that small. I hated the QTE battle with the kayren, but I got though both. never got to sleep with the dragon.

BreakfastMan said:
I see demon's/dark souls is out in full swing. Good to see, 'cause demon's souls is great.

Anyway, the hardest game I have ever enjoyed? Proly Nethack. So many ways to die, but still funny. Of course, Baldur's Gate 2 and Icewind Dale are also right up there. :)
I have both bauldur's gate's, as I'm a big forgotten realms fan, and been playing D&D for a long time.

Vanilla_Druid said:
People are simply too lazy to bother to read the comments of others and procede to give their two cents.
eh, such is one of the reoccurring things on the internet. Usually why I don't post much, as I'm bound to get "ninja'd".

The Hero Killer said:
Ninja Gaiden 2, Devil May Cry 3, and veteran mode on any Call of Duty. Only PC game I have that I find hard is the Witcher 2, but I dont enjoy that game.
Eh, I'm really looking for an RPG, and not fond of Ninja Gaiden's or DMC's Platforming, or there combat.

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
CulixCupric said:
Uuuuuuuuber snip
Wow dude. So, all the challenging ones we suggest that you like, you already finished. And all the challenging ones you don't like, you just rail on.

This leaves me with only one option.

I Wanna Be The Guy.

http://kayin.pyoko.org/iwbtg/

sheogoraththemad

Feb 6, 2010
CulixCupric said:
sheogoraththemad said:
games like amnesia and penumbra, it's had because it's so damn scary. but damn it's enjoyable.
eh, I beat amnesia, on Halloween night, but night isn't scary, as I'm nocturnal, due to light sensitivity. this lead to not getting scared, and got through the game without needing light in-game either.
well not all of us have Mutant eyes or are batman, :)

regalphantom

Feb 10, 2011
The Megaman Zero games for Gameboy Advance. If you are on the PC, try to find an emulator. God those were tough.

KingofMadCows

Dec 6, 2010
Command and Conquer: Red Alert has some very difficult campaign missions, especially on the Allies side. I especially hated the mission where you had to go into a Soviet facility to deactivate a nuke they had launched at Paris. You only had some rifle infantry, a spy, a medic, and an engineer, but luckily you get Tanya a bit later into the mission. Not only was there a time limit but you had to keep your engineer alive since only he could deactivate the nuke.

Kragg

Mar 30, 2010
Vanilla_Druid said:
People are simply too lazy to bother to read the comments of others and procede to give their two cents.
read title and post OR read first 5 posts and repeat what they said

/shrug

ontopic: UFO: enemy unknown can be hard, though might have to jump through some hoops to get it running on windows 7 machines

CulixCupric

Oct 20, 2011
Idlemessiah said:
CulixCupric said:
Uuuuuuuuber snip
Wow dude. So, all the challenging ones we suggest that you like, you already finished. And all the challenging ones you don't like, you just rail on.

This leaves me with only one option.

I Wanna Be The Guy.

http://kayin.pyoko.org/iwbtg/
sheogoraththemad said:
I can't get past the 2nd screen, tried about 4 months ago.

CulixCupric said:
sheogoraththemad said:
also, I do like amnesia, it's got great atmosphere, it's just death has no consequences, so it stops being scary, as the monsters don't screw you up that bad.

Here is one game that does scare me: Minecraft. why? because when you die, it doesn't quickload, you lose all you gear, and if you go back, you risk dying again. Death has consequences, and they can set you back a few minutes to a few hours.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010

EVIL GENIUS

Even with cheats and the game set on easy, you'll probably get you're ass pretty close to getting over-ran but never really over-ran. I still haven't gotten that far in this game, though.
kind of the first thing that came to mind.

sheogoraththemad

Feb 6, 2010
CulixCupric said:
sheogoraththemad said:
CulixCupric said:
sheogoraththemad said:
also, I do like amnesia, it's got great atmosphere, it's just death has no consequences, so it stops being scary, as the monsters don't screw you up that bad.

Here is one game that does scare me: Minecraft. why? because when you die, it doesn't quickload, you lose all you gear, and if you go back, you risk dying again. Death has consequences, and they can set you back a few minutes to a few hours.
I can see your point, I think dead is an issue a lot of horror game developers are struggling with. How do you make dead Scary without making it annoying for the player.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Demon's Souls. Yes, Dark Souls as well, but I preferred Demon's Souls. It was more difficult and more rewarding for me.

Oh, and Armored Core 4 and Armored Core: for Answer. Wait, just add the entire From Software library.

Dmyster

Apr 8, 2010
I don't have very much experience with PC gaming but I would concur with Super Meat Boy as well as L4D 1/2 on expert difficulty. For console, where I spend most of my time, I love Ninja Gaiden 2. It seems to be the bane of all my friends but I find the combat immensely entertaining and satisfying.

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
Gothic 2 Gold if you want an RPG
Heroes of Might and Magic 3 if you want strategy

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
CulixCupric said:
The STALKER games aren't that hard on the normal difficulty, but they'll make you approach situations in a more thought-out fashion (cover, try not to fight too many enemies at a time, etc). The AI is generally very good, and you have to do things like bandage yourself up to stop bleeding from bullet wounds. Firefights are much more realistic than in most shooters. So on one of the harder difficulties you ought to really have your work cut out for you.

Also, I personally find the Total War games to be really tough on the normal difficulty setting. But maybe I just suck at them.
Eh, not really fond of military shooters, or games based in reality.
that is making the finding of something satisfying a bit more challenging, because while the total war games are based in reality, they are deep, defy a good bit of logic for game balance (for example, your army units never die of old age, no matter how deep in enemy lines they are, despite the campaign going on for over 30 years),
and the battles are IMMENSELY rewarding, especially in shogun, as it is possible to overcome vastly superior military forces with simple tactics that make you feel very accomplished. however, foregoing these simple tactics in favor of spectacle, head-to-head battle-of-the-ages fights, or miss-managing your cities in the campaign to get units surrounded without enough funds to get them some help, can quickly make the game damn near impossible.
seriously though, the shogun campaign is hard as tits because once you expand enough, everybody hates you. if you expand to quickly, everybody hates you. if you dont expand, everybody attacks you. if you wait to long trying to balance expansion and development, 2 factions will kill everyone else and conquer 3/4 of the map, then have a BFF type relationship so you HAVE to fight them both simultaneously, which doubly sucks because you need to trade with SOMEBODY in order to keep financing these wars

Awsomeotaku

Mar 31, 2011
Currently no games come to mind, but in third grade for me it was Zelda: Wind Waker. I know you people might not think it was that hard but gimme a break, I was 8