What is the most difficult, but enjoyable game you've ever played?

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
The IL-2 series, on full realism. Immensely challenging, but oh so awesome when get that perfect kill...

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Honestly, one of the most challenging games I've ever played was MechCommander. It was so near-aggravatingly hard it was almost impossible. Yet, I loved every minute of it. (though I liked MechCommander 2 more)

And bare in mind, this is from a guy who thought Super Meat Boy wasn't that hard and who regularly solos Expert Realism with tier 1 weapons in Left 4 Dead 2 and solos several Cruel and Vicious bots in Sins of a Solar Empire.

(not trying to brag. just emphasizing how ridiculous MC1 was.)

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
Enjoyability to difficulty huh. Well that would have to be Knights and Merchants: The Shattered Kingdom. (PC)

Late 90's RTS. Not like C&C types, theres tons of micromanaging you need to do just to run your town. You need to build buildings and support/intake buildings near each other. Utilizing all space available to keep everything close, but not to congest your serfs.
Once you get to level 11/20 missions will well take you well over 5 hours to beat. (Town missions). Some missions it's just your troops vs theirs.
Building your army takes a long time. Theres three tiers. No armor (Axe Millitia), leather and iron.
In combat you try to match up your best units against their worst combination. (Lance on Cavalry. Cavalry on Axe/Sword. Axe/Sword on Lance). You an fight any unit with any other type except cavalry against lance types.
Key to winning is archers/crossbowmen. Build en-mass and sit them behind your lines. And if possible flank their archers.

It's really hard to win. I haven't even beaten all the levels, but it's very rewarding when you do.

MrPeanut

Jun 18, 2011
The first Crash Bandicoot on PS1.

Since I wanted to get all the gems it felt like Marquis de Sade had designed the game.

CulixCupric

Oct 20, 2011
sheogoraththemad said:
CulixCupric said:
sheogoraththemad said:
CulixCupric said:
sheogoraththemad said:
games like amnesia and penumbra, it's had because it's so damn scary. but damn it's enjoyable.
eh, I beat amnesia, on Halloween night, but night isn't scary, as I'm nocturnal, due to light sensitivity. this lead to not getting scared, and got through the game without needing light in-game either.
well not all of us have Mutant eyes or are batman, :)
also, I do like amnesia, it's got great atmosphere, it's just death has no consequences, so it stops being scary, as the monsters don't screw you up that bad.

Here is one game that does scare me: Minecraft. why? because when you die, it doesn't quickload, you lose all you gear, and if you go back, you risk dying again. Death has consequences, and they can set you back a few minutes to a few hours.
I can see your point, I think dead is an issue a lot of horror game developers are struggling with. How do you make dead Scary without making it annoying for the player.
if you die, there are several ways to penalize the player:

death is permanent, you start over. Example: Diablo II: hardcore Mode Amnesia: Justine also did this, as you couldn't save.

Loss of Items/Gold/experience/ammo/etc.

kind of tired right now, so can't think of any more right now.

KissmahArceus

Mar 1, 2011
Dark Souls most recently, Ninja Gaiden 2. Good to see it getting some love.
Lost Planet on Extreme is brutal, you are literally losing health ALL THE TIME, there are no health replenishing check points like on the other difficulties and the game is even harder than hard mode, which was tough as it was. Never, ever again.

Shout out for Halo 2, on Legendary, the first level was fucking insane. Cairo Station has some of the toughest fights against Elites that I can remember, dual wielding ultras still terrify me to this day :)

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Final Fantasy Tactics. Played it all the time when I was younger, had all the time in the world, and a hell of a lot more patience. Beat it multiple times.

The present day equivalent would probably be Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia.
It was the first DS Castlevania I played and it looked to be continuing what SotN started so I was jazzed.
Was not expecting the big smack in the mouth that game gave me initially. Shit can get rough fast. But it was fun enough that I beat it.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
NeutralDrow said:
Have to say, I don't think I can help you with your problem. I don't know many, if any, PC games that fit that bill.

To just answer the thread title, though? GOD HAND. Awesome game, insanely hard, but so satisfying when I finally beat all the fighting ring challenges, and the whole game on Hard difficulty.
God Hand came to mind when I read 'difficult', and it stayed right there when I read 'enjoyable'. I can't truly think of any other game that is equal parts high-octane difficult and enjoyable. And I didn't even try Hard difficulty!

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012

Come at me bro!!!!

Also Dark Souls and La-Mulana.
La-Mulana is harder from any other game COMBINED!!!!

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
Super Meat Boy. I played it constantly until I had an A+ rating on every single level. It was such an addicting and awesome game.

Dirty Apple

Apr 24, 2008
That would be a tie between Bastion and Portal. Both were well made games with a strong emotional punch. Really quite wonderful.

{edit) Heh, totally misread the title question. New answer: Faster Than Light. A super fun yet frustrating game. When I finally beat that final Mammer Jammer, I had a legitimate arms thrust in the air victory moment.

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
CulixCupric said:
What is the most difficult, but enjoyable game you've ever played?

I am looking for a game that is difficult, on purpose, but still really enjoyable.

I've heard of dark souls, but I'm looking for a PC game, as I don't have a console, and I suck, SUCK, at console gaming, which is one of the reasons I'm a PC gamer. Just list as many as you can.

Mainly why I am looking for a hard, fun game, is because I kill everything in Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind, Daggerfall, Fallout 3 & NV, all at level one, and I can survive in Dungeon Hack without a problem.

Please help me. I am so bored, and running out of internet videos to watch.
NINJA GAIDEN BLACK FOR XBOX!!!!

Too much?

Oh it is a pc game you need...sorry I got nothing. Prolly should have read it all first. >.<

To people saying Ninja Gaiden 2...boooooooo, I don't like your opinion.

vledleR

Nov 3, 2014
The Wargame series. When you're playing a game that bases itself off of actual military doctrine, you know there is going to be a pretty big difficulty curve.

Zak757

Oct 12, 2013
Digital Combat Simulator, the highest fidelity simulator available to civilians as of now. It would be less accurate to say the game has a learning curve you have to get over as it would be to say that the learning curve IS the game. As an aviation nut, knowing I can complete a mission while having to deal with all the troubles an actual pilot needs to go through is very rewarding. Just learning a single aircraft's systems (A-10C especially, complexity is ridiculous) provides dozens of hours (over a hundred even) of entertainment as you try to master it, which is more than the entirety of HAWX + HAWX 2 can provide.

Ayame Murasaki

Crazy cannibal elf chick.
Mar 28, 2014
Here's one for you, as you said you have a PS2--Vagrant Story. It's a Playstation game that's incredibly challenging (very steep learning curve) but once I actually beat the damn thing it gave me a rosy glow of accomplishment.