What is the most irritating ending?

Genixma

Sep 22, 2009
Most irritating ending? End of Wings of Liberty. I kind just paused and went...that...was short and very unfulfilling.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
babinro said:
Endings that I'm too stupid to understand and thus cannot enjoy.

Evangelion: Snip
If it makes you feel any better the director was off his meds and seriously messed up in the head at the time. And also they ran out of money and so had to cop out instead of doing a real ending.

OP: Apocalypto was pretty weak.

icame

Aug 4, 2010
Definitely the ending to kotor 2. The ship was engulfed by the f*ing planet and it suddenly flew out again when it was convenient. What? The ending to shadow-grounds was pretty horrible too,

Jake Stavroff

Nov 20, 2010
Honestly, the most irritating ending to me is any game (or media in general) where the heroes overcome insurmountable odds. I understand not all people like endings like Othello, and want the prince to live happily with the princess or what have you, but it's just not reasonable. Sometimes, the bad guys win, and when you make the villain out to be nigh invincible, only for deaus ex machina to come along and save the day, you're just playing the easy way out. I myself wouldn't want everything to be depressing in such a manner, but it would be nice for authors, directors, etc. to understand that it just is too predictable.

Jake Stavroff

Nov 20, 2010
In order to put the prior statement into a less biased context, let me just say that I am actually quite fond of happy endings. You know, the kind that make you go 'awww' or when you get that joyous tear in your eye.

HumpinHop

May 5, 2011
Bleach:The Diamond Dust Rebellion

It came on at around 1 a.m on Adult Swim and I figured I'd give it a shot.

Time the villain spent wounding or nearly killing every bad ass in the Bleach universe:
70 minutes

Time and effort spent showing how utterly god mode the villain had just become through use of an artifact:
5 minutes

Time the wisest character in the universe spent extrapolating on how incomprehensibly powerful and unstoppable the villain currently was:
4 minutes

Time the main characters spent scaling the villain (now a giant dragon) and effortlessly killing all of his minions:
12 minutes

Time spent actually fighting and defeating the basically Galactus-of-Bleach-Universe villain when they reach him:
7 seconds

I was the definition of furious with how utterly anticlimactic this garbage piece of film was. I despised Bleach after the first 70 or 80 episodes, and after that movie I vowed to continue my frothing hatred forever.

Sir Boss

Mar 24, 2011
Either Halo 2, due to how painfully unsatisfying it was, or Rogue Squadron 2 due to how painfully difficult it was.

crewman_number_6

Aug 15, 2009
I would have to say Stargate SG-1. To explain...
The most advanced race in the galaxy destroys themselves for no reason so they can "ascend to a higher plane of existance" and the ending comes out of nowhere. In the end none of the plot threads are wrapped up and nothing happens.

Sariteiya

Jun 10, 2011
Inception's ending felt a little hokey to me. A movie that good shouldn't have needed a silly hook to get it press.

Also, was anyone else a bit let down by the "Truth" in Assassin's Creed 2? Not precisely the end, but to me it was the cap of the storyline, and it was a little... Anti-Climactic.

The Abhorrent

May 7, 2011
SuperChurl said:
Mass Effect. Because there's no real resolution. You beat the bad guys, look happy, cut to credits.

It would have been nice, after crossing the galaxy theoretically affecting the world and people around you, to actually have... I dunno, something. Some kind of epilogue, or a debrief with your crew--an afterparty, even. For a story-centric game to just cut everything short 20 seconds after beating the last boss is a big build to a big nuthin'.

Ah well.
If the first Mass Effect game was a stand-alone title, that'd definitely be a serious issue; the whole story spanning three games is enough reason to let that slide. Then again, I didn't finish (or really even play too much) ME1 until I had started ME2 and decided to finish the first game so I could import my character; so ME1's lack of a good denouement after the final battle was overshadowed by my impending playthrough of ME2. Speaking of which, ME2 allowing to keep playing the game and talk to your crew about the final mission after it takes place was a good way to avoid the suddenness ME1's ending.

---

Back to the general topic question, I'm actually surprised that original ending of Neon Genesis Evangelion hasn't been mentioned too often. While I enjoyed that ending myself (quite different from the usual sort of ending, made the series FAR more memorable than it would've been otherwise. Nevertheless, the ending has a well-deserved reputation; the style of the final two episodes are such a sudden shift from what preceeds them, not to mention they're intensely introspective (simply not something everyone gets, let alone enjoys).

The reasons why this shift occured are tough to track down (I think this is the best explanation for it), but pretty much it boils don to the television censors in Japan outright refusing to show the planned ending; the series was pushing (if not exceeding) of what could be permitted in it's time-slot (mecha show? children and young teens is the usual target audience here) in terms of violence, and the refusal to broadcast the planned ending meant that Gainax had to come up with something more acceptable FAST. The budget didn't run out, but there just wasn't enough time to do anything better than what was in the broadcasted ending.

The planned ending did get made however, in the film The End of Evangelion.... yeah, definitely not an ending you want to put on television (particularly for what was aimed at young teens). The film was supposedly rated NC-17 (as in ABOVE the standard R rating) at some point. Anyhow, this could be why NGE's (original) ending hasn't been mentioned too much; the series was followed up with it's proper conclusion (not that everyone liked EoE either).

---

Falling off course again, I have an ending I disliked:

Halo 2 -- Mentioned repeatedly already, and it's the perfect example of a really obvious sequel hook. "Finishing the fight" -> Credits start rolling. What.

Other than this, there are no other games/shows/whatever which spring to mind about having a bad ending. They're usually not worth remembering, or I never get through to the ending for some odd reason. For example, I haven't got around to finishing DA2; I lost interest after finishing the first act. I (mostly) enjoyed the segments of the game I did play (the eerie atmosphere of the Deep Roads expedition was great), but I can't muster the interest & drive needed to come back and finish the game.

PixieDiamond

Mar 2, 2011
Personally, I would have to say the most annoying ending would be Next with Nicholas Cage. Man with precognitive powers roped in to thwart terrorist plot. Action, intrigue, romance, Nic Cage not being too shit. Hurray

Then...

Turns out everything in the entire 2nd/3rd act was merely a vision. We snap back to the present and Cage's character rings the FBI Agent and accepts her offer to help them. Fade to black.

crewman_number_6 said:
I would have to say Stargate SG-1. To explain...
The most advanced race in the galaxy destroys themselves for no reason so they can "ascend to a higher plane of existance" and the ending comes out of nowhere. In the end none of the plot threads are wrapped up and nothing happens.
Where did you see up to? If you mean The Asgard did commit species-wide hara kiri but that was because their genetic degradation had reached such a point that they're new clone bodies were unusable; rather than allow their race to slowly die out and their technology to fall into the wrong hands, they commit mass suicide. The mention in the episode how Ascension is not option for them because they have become so science and logic based, Spock-like if you will, that they cant reach the point of spiritual acceptance necessary to shed their physical forms.

While yes, nothing as happens in the episode itself with whacking great 'Carter ex machina' reset button that gets pulled out at the last minute, but I suppose it was designed as more of a send off for the characters on a more emotional level more than a narrative one. The whole Ori storyline does get rounded out pretty nicely though in 'The Ark of Truth' DVD movie, followed by 'Continuum' that rounds of the Ba'al storyline, but to be fair they were never really as widely publicised as they perhaps should have been.

Aetera

Jan 19, 2011
For me, it's the last episode of Angel. I get that the main theme of the show is to keep fighting the good fight, even if it seems futile, but the ending was still really unsatisfying. I blame the fact that it wasn't renewed for a new season like everyone assumed it would be, so Joss had to wrap everything up much quicker than he had planned. It still really annoyed me, though. This is how it ended:

GUNN: OK. You take the 30,000 on the left...
ILLYRIA: You're fading. You'll last 10 minutes at best.
GUNN: (stands) Then let's make 'em memorable.
SPIKE: In terms of a plan?
ANGEL: We fight.
SPIKE: Bit more specific.
ANGEL: Well, personally, I kind of want to slay the dragon. Let's go to work.

(Angel & co charge the demon army, weapons swinging. Fade to black)

THAT WAS THE LAST SCENE OF THE SHOW.

MordinSolus

Feb 10, 2011
N1ceDreamz said:
Fallout 3's pre-broken steel ending, with power armour and rad-x the radiation in that damned chamber was far from lethal (2 rads per second if I remember correctly), you expect me to believe that the fucking radiation of all things killed me? I know this was meant to be a big martyr and all but this kind of drama only works when you know the death is really necessary... and come to think of it, this was a water purifier where in the name of God did that amount radiation come from? Did they decontaminate the water with fucking uranium?
Why yes, we did dump our uranium in there, how'd you know?

OT: Halo 3. Why did the Master Chief not get of the ship at the time that the Arbiter did, and what happens to him?
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn. Ike, the main character, leaves forever and takes his gay friend, Soren, with him. Why does he have no endings where he's straight? (Not a homphobe).
Assassin's Creed: Bro-hood. Nice job, Ezio! You took over Rome and pushed a guy off a castle wall to his death...Now what will you do in Revelations?

EGtodd09

Oct 20, 2010
Two and a Half Men. It didn't end, it died of a heart attack and a failing liver. I miss charlie harper...
DeltaWolfson said:
Just Cause 2, I did not get the ending at all I beat the game 6 times and I still don't get it.
He blew up the oil field because it would have started a world war three. Geddit?

Goldenkitten01

Aug 23, 2010
Any RPG that spends 30+ hours building its world and characters, you beat it, and it has a less than minute-long closing cinematic that barely touches on anything. Bloody enraging.

My most recent disappointment was Dragon Age 2. It was never as good story-wise as the first game but it had its moments, but the end was just utterly forgetable.

TheFinalFantasyWolf

Dec 23, 2010
Prototype

So many unanswered questions. However I feel like they'll stay unanswered now, since the sequel has a different protagonist anyway.

velcrokidneyz

Sep 28, 2010
Exterminas said:
The Ending of that new South Park Episode.
They are going into the summer break with THAT?!
I know right? I was hoping for some stupid campy funny ending but shit got too real, kinda sad actually, never expected something like that from them.

King Kupofried said:
Indigo Prophecy, as has been said time and time again.
Of course, you can disregard all of the hilariously bad events that happen during the second half of the game all the way up to the final ten minutes and that would still be enough to just utterly ruin everything. For all the build up or the Oracle and the AI and the conspiracy and the Indigo Child, the way everything is solved just boils down to:

"Okay I'mma run in there and shoot my zappy powers at them. PEWPEWPEWPEW! Yay I win! And so the world was safe forever."
I loved that game, kinda had to force myself through the third act but it was fun. In the beginning it was all wtf and murder mystery (i especially liked the stealth flashback sequences) but when it got all sci fy-ish i kinda was a little dissapoint. but i overall enjoyed it.

kinda had nightmares about that old lady's house b4 tho. am i weird for that?