What is the most meaningful song in a game to you personally?

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
Portal mentioned in post 2.

Bastion mentioned in post 4.

Looks like I'm not needed here. BOBIC AWAY!

Veldt Falsetto

Dec 26, 2009
AbstractStream said:
There are so many, but the oldest one I can think of right now is Dearly Beloved. I'm going to post the BbS version though.
Shall I tell you what piece of music constantly haunts me? This one. God I remember first playing the first KH game and falling in love with this piece of music. Sends shivers down my spine it does! Put me in a good mood it doesn't though.

I LOVE this song with a passion, I love the atmosphere, hell I love the game (got my Mirror's Edge t-shirt ;))

The OTHER Still Alive is amazing too but I prefer this much more underrated one.

This and also the main MGS theme used a lot in both 2 and 3 are perfection, Harry Gregson-Williams is a genius.

Also include anything from Masashi Hamauzu (Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Unlimited SaGa) but especially these two battle tracks

Final Fantasy XIII

and

Unlimited SaGa

oh and just for good measure this from Final Fantasy XIII-2 always puts a smile on my face

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
Faunts - M4 Pt. 2

It's my favourite song of all time and it was used in my favourite game series of all time. It definitely fits in with the game, both in sound and in lyrics, but both of those are brilliant anyway regardless of context.

gentlemanghost

Jul 7, 2011
Well just like many people here, Mass Effect's "Vigil"

However, I have to mention the first KOTOR when you're at the top of the....Star Forge? near the end of the game and you have to make a choice between going full Dark Side or not, Jolee Bindo is telling you, "Don't do this kid. I don't want to fight you, but I will if I have to," while "Binary Sunset" is played (I think that's the name of the "Star Wars" piece, but it's played throughout the trilogy usually when the Force is being used or Jedi are referenced).

It was all fun being a jerk throughout the game, robbing people, intimidating people, and Force choking/lightning everyone, but when this scene happened, and the music was playing you could sense the struggle within me :p

bz316

Feb 10, 2010
Someone already said still alive, so I'm gonna go with "Ragnar the Red", as sung by the bards of Skyrim. Of all the ways I might die, killed in a bar-fight by a warrior woman offended by my drunken boasts and shenanigans seems to be the most likely. It speaks to me right here *points to heart*

OddOzZy666

Jul 3, 2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08wg9S_elHY This. Just this. (prepare for an essay on this :3)

This tune, this whole 1 minute and 37 seconds of slow music encompasses the entire character of Batman, and Bruce Wayne too. The sheer amount of power in this one little scene (for an achievement, may I add) hits harder to me than the entire game, or anything else from the lore.

Think about it, Bruce Wayne lost his parents at a young age, yet because they were wealthy, young Bruce was able to get through life with the help of Alfred (pretty much the father Bruce never had). If the same thing were to happen to whomever reads this, somebody without the wealth of the Wayne?s, would that not give you the same drive to stand up for justice the same way Bruce did? Would you not want to see redemption?
This single aspect created The Dark Knight, and he knows that he has access to the wealth, and he knows that he is the hero that Gotham deserves. But all of this can?t bring his parents back. The struggle to prevent what happened to him, happening to others, is pretty damn powerful I feel.

Batman is complex, he is dark, he is vengeance incarnate. But this one piece of music, this one scene from a video game. Shows he is still human.

TheRussian

May 8, 2011
inb4 "Still Alive"
If I had to pick something more profound and touching than the farewell song sung by GLaDOS, I'd have to pick the farewell song sung by GLaDOS at the end of Portal 2: "Want You Gone"

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
None of the above have anything on this timeless classic from a timeless classic:

If you grew up in the bit wars, this song will overwhelm you with nostalgia. I honestly can't listen to it without tearing up.

Corneria, the first 3D level I ever saw and I loved every moment (despite utterly failing miserably when I first played it in the early 90s).

Then of course, there is the first game music I ever heard:

Can't forget these amazing melodies.

Said other amazing song is of course:

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010

Xaio30

Nov 24, 2010
The Almighty Grigard said:
Most definitely the songs in the last 10 minutes of Bastion. In particular, the one when you decide to
Save Zulf and carry him through a hail of arrows from his countrymen while you are unarmed and completely unavailable to defend yourself, since you have to abandon your grossly overpowered weapon to be able to carry him to safety.

Then the credits song which is a mix of two character themes is also pretty awesome. It finishes of an emotional rollercoaster just perfectly.

This, all the way. This section moved me to tears while it played out and the songs fit 100%.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
There was an RPG with a well-written, meaningful suicide mission at the end of it... which one was that again? Oh, right
...the Japanese got waaaaay better box art than we did.

Luke3184

Jun 4, 2011
Jazoni89 said:
I can't believe no one has mentioned this yet.

The first time hearing that while galloping across Mexico, gave me the frikken chills like you wouldn't believe.
Seconded

Zenron

The Laughing Shadow
May 11, 2010
AbstractStream said:
There are so many, but the oldest one I can think of right now is Dearly Beloved. I'm going to post the BbS version though.
*Youtube video snipped*

The Kyle Landry version of that song is just great. Well, they're both great, just in different ways.

I listened to this osong on repeat for days after hearing it for the first time. No idea why, it just relaxes me.

No gaming music thread can ever be complete without anything from the Chrono series.

Special meaning to me because it's the first proper thing I ever learnt on the piano.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Some great choices, special nods to the wild arms song and duck tales theme.

I could post a few more wild arms one that meant a lot to me but will try and mention songs from games that haven't been mentioned yet.

You only hear this once in the early stages of FFIX, but does a lot to get you in the mood and prepare yourself for the rest of the game :) When reminded of FFIX, tis this song I think of first.

I feel I have to include one from Vagrant but am torn on picking just 1 song... Actually quite a few personally relevanvent songs but guess the dragon boss theme edges it out as being the most memorable and fits the mood perfectly (you're fighting a friggin dragon): Isn't anywhere near the best song of the game, but most memorable due to being associated to some great boss fights.

Remastered version of one of my oldest fav themes :) Golden Axe 2, fuck yeah.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Well there's this:

and this:

and this one too:

and finally this:

And those are just off of the top of my head!

ajemas

Nov 19, 2009
I'd say any of the songs in Braid. Most games have the music added in later, but the artist for Braid actually designed the style of each level based on how the songs made him feel.

Ddgafd

Jul 11, 2009