What is the most overrated movie of all time?

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
*Reads comments*

This is all I can see.

I wouldn't really know what I consider to be incredibly over-rated, really.

I would suppose general oscar bait is over-rated, most especially so The Artist, A Beautiful Mind, The King's Speech, just to name a few.

TheScottishFella

The Know-it all Detective
Nov 9, 2009
The Godfather. I'm sorry, it's just so crushingly dull and boring. I eventually just gave up on the film.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Johnny Novgorod said:
hazabaza1 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
the Eagles could've totally flown the Fellowship into Mordor (fuck that "they're a proud race" argument, they did it all the time in The Hobbit).
How about the excuse that they're carrying what is basically a magnet for "evil glowing death light that fucks up your psyche and turns you mentally insane if looked upon for too long" really high in the sky and carrying the ring like that is essentially a death sentence?

[sub][sub]just sayin'[/sub][/sub]
I doubt they had much of a psyche to corrupt. Frodo made it to Mordor (barely), I'm sure they could've made it just fine in half that time. He'd still be carrying it anyway, it's not like they're giving it to the eagles. So they would've still needed a distraction to smuggle in the Ring, fair enough. But walking aaaaaaaall the way wasn't the best plan they could've gone with.
Yeah and walking all that way with a distraction Frodo got looked at for like 5 seconds and nearly gave in. The eagles would be in the wide open air with no cover and that Sauron light is a big fucker. Chances are it could shine on the eagle carrying whoever has the ring and the ring bearer. Both of them would be mind raped by the time they entered Mordor.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
hazabaza1 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
hazabaza1 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
the Eagles could've totally flown the Fellowship into Mordor (fuck that "they're a proud race" argument, they did it all the time in The Hobbit).
How about the excuse that they're carrying what is basically a magnet for "evil glowing death light that fucks up your psyche and turns you mentally insane if looked upon for too long" really high in the sky and carrying the ring like that is essentially a death sentence?

I doubt they had much of a psyche to corrupt. Frodo made it to Mordor (barely), I'm sure they could've made it just fine in half that time. He'd still be carrying it anyway, it's not like they're giving it to the eagles. So they would've still needed a distraction to smuggle in the Ring, fair enough. But walking aaaaaaaall the way wasn't the best plan they could've gone with.
Yeah and walking all that way with a distraction Frodo got looked at for like 5 seconds and nearly gave in. The eagles would be in the wide open air with no cover and that Sauron light is a big fucker. Chances are it could shine on the eagle carrying whoever has the ring and the ring bearer. Both of them would be mind raped by the time they entered Mordor.
"Sauron light"? Are we talking about proper book Sauron or lighthouse movie Sauron?

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
For me, Schindler's List.

Mainly because of the portrayal of Schindler. In the movies he's basically put down as some sort of half god. Capable of seducing any woman and charming any German officer. Rich, handsome, dedicated to saving everyone from the Nazi regime. Which really makes the movie rather dull and boring. Of course he's going to save everyone, he's basically portrayed as Superman. Of course he's going to do the right thing, he's the perfect guy everyone in the audience is imagining they'd be and act as.

And then in the credits they tell me about a man who couldn't keep any of his businesses afloat. Who couldn't manage his marriage to his wife. Who seemed to be a troubled man but still managed to save a lot of people and do a lot of good. I'd have loved to see a movie about that guy, would probably have been interesting. Instead I got a movie about a god among mere men who, naturally, did some good and saved a few people.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Johnny Novgorod said:
hazabaza1 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
hazabaza1 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:

"Sauron light"? Are we talking about proper book Sauron or lighthouse movie Sauron?
Movie.
This is a thread about movies after all, I didn't think we were bringing in things that happens in books to talk about movie logic.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
Blade Runner. The pacing was way too slow and long, the main theme of what makes us human was under explored, the ending cuts off without giving any hints to the question of who's real and who's a robot, and NOTHING IS EVER EXPLAINED.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Gearhead mk2 said:
Blade Runner. The pacing was way too slow and long, the main theme of what makes us human was under explored, the ending cuts off without giving any hints to the question of who's real and who's a robot, and NOTHING IS EVER EXPLAINED.
The ending varies depending which cut you're watching. Director's Cut makes it implicit Deckard's an android, original cut is more ambiguous, others (I think) don't even address the issue.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
hazabaza1 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
hazabaza1 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
hazabaza1 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:

Movie.
This is a thread about movies after all, I didn't think we were bringing in things that happens in books to talk about movie logic.
Still it sounds more like an excuse than an actual reason. Like when McKellen asked Jackson why couldn't he just use his magic staff on the Witch King. Jackson: "It's out of batteries". Same with the Eagles. There's never an in-universe explanation as to why not recur (yet again) to the Eagles for ferrying, just people handwaving about this or that. If this were really about calling attention, I'm sure they could've plotted distraction/s to smuggle in the Ring. That's more or less what they did in the end anyway (the Black Gate battle is one big distraction).

ThreeName

May 8, 2013
It's a tough choice between The Avengers and Avatar.

The Avengers has stayed popular longer but Avatar was more overhyped on release... tough call. Both were just bland, average movies with sparkly effects. Whoo.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Wow, there's a lot of hate in this thread. I'm kinda regretting my decision to come in here.

For my part I really didn't see what was so amazing about Blade Runner. I'm normally a fan of just about anything Harrison Ford but that one didn't click with me. Conversely I actually found The English Patient to be really quite compelling.

Then again I actually enjoyed Avatar so, according to this thread, I must have no taste whatsoever.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
The Godfather. I'm sorry, it's just so crushingly dull and boring. I eventually just gave up on the film.
Definition for overrated would come down to a movie that everyone says is great, almost everyone says it has to be watched but for whatever reason it just doesn't work. Not a critically overrated or a monetary over rated movie but just one that everyones seems to say you need to see because it is great.

The Godfather movies fall in to this category just about everyone I know says you need to see them, that they are amazing movies and every time I have tried to watch any of them I've just ended up being so bored I've switched them off.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009

However, I would put the title of 'Most Overrated Movie' to Christopher Nolan's 'Inception'

EVERYONE loved that film when it came out (and many of my friends put it in their Top 5 movies of all time). The movie is convoluted, sterile, cold (like all Nolan films there is a lack of 'warmth') and the concept of Limbo is brought in far too late into the movie, right at the third-act. The action is brought to a complete halt as the actors have to explain Limbo to the audience in as complex a way as possible.

It also has amazingly stupid lines.
What happens when we go into Limbo? "It's just raw, infinite subconcious"...WTF KIND OF LINE IS THAT!?
When Ellen Page comes back she explains why as "It's just pure creation"...WHAT?!
These lines are almost as stupid as 'He's got space dementia' (Armageddon) which I found hilarious...unlike Inception.

Inception also has the shittiest ending. That's one way to say 'FUCK YOU' to the audience Mr. Nolan.

The Dark Knight Rises also sucked...but I think most people felt underwhelmed by it anyway.

I like Nolan films (The Prestige is his best movie) but his last couple have been complete duds.

DaWaffledude

Apr 23, 2011
Meriatressia said:
Avatar is the the worst film I ever saw. It's dead, atrocious, plotless, pointless, grotesquely overhyped, overated, overpromoted, garbage.
It has less plot than half a half hour cartoon.
It's nothing more than a blatant rip off of disneys pocahontas and fern gully.

All the star wars films are dead, cretinous stupid, grotesquely overated, overhyped, garbage.

Toy Story films are total and utter, atrocious, creepy, cretinous, grotesquely overated, overhyped, garbage.
The premise is creepy as firetruck, and the films sickening, sacharine, contrived, horsedung.

Toys coming to life when a child is'nt there is freaking creepy! It makes you want to flamethrower toys!

Almost all the pixar films are grotesquely overated, overhyped, horsecrap.
Pixar are the most grotesquely overated, overhyped, overpromoted, company ever.

Apart from A Bugs Life, all their films are atrocious, smug, s**te.
A Bugs Life, is a ok film. Anything else, total and utter, smug, s**te.

I loathe and despise pixar and their smug, s**te, films.

I censored swore. That's how much I hate them. Replacement words were'nt enough to show how much I hate them.

Thor is dead, grindingly, tedious, garbage.

G.I Joe: Retribution, is one of the stupidest, most grindingly cretinous films I ever saw.

All of Guillermo Del Toros films are smug, atrocious, garbage.
He is a useless, talentless, cretin.
Yikes. Somebody's angry.

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
*Bottles Dark Knight fanboy rage*

Probably Avatar, since it's literally just the plot of Dances With Wolves but with lots of CGI and a stupid story about a bunch of hippy cos-players.

EDIT: Oh! And also anything J.J. Abrams has made. Not that they're bad, I like Super-8 and I don't think the Star-Trek remakes are that bad but they're barely above average.

Hatchet90

Nov 15, 2009
The fact that I'm seeing Kubrick make the list of most overrated movies pretty much proves how uncultured this site's users can be. Most of the reasons given are just buzzwords that critics use with "pretentious" being the absolute most common, hackneyed, used to prop up the "intelligence" of the word's user, and usually given to movies whose criteria would fall under more appropriate words such as heartfelt, intellectual, earnest, sincere, artistic, unconventional, nonconformist, or non-commercial.

Bad writing and poor direction are also buzzwords users give to why they don't like good movies, as if they have any idea what that even means cause I certainly don't. This thread seems like a breeding ground for hipsters, "This movie's popular therefore, I don't like it."