What is the scariest version of the undead that have been created in fiction?

Demolition_Human

May 11, 2013
What version of the undead makes you glad that they do not exist? For me, that would have to be the infected in Left 4 Dead. I mean the virus mutates daily, no cure and the virus creates mutated freaks of nature!! I mean honestly, do you really want to see this coming at you? Not me.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
The ones from the Stephen King story Home Delivery. What's scariest about them si the way they're mostly only implied, and nto actually shown.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Depends what you mean by scary.

I liked the undead monsters from The Bleeding Chalice, a BL book set in the 40k universe by Ben Counter.

Firstly, the undead are brought back to life by evil magic. No pretending that viruses make sense. There's plagues, but it's dark magic behind it.

Secondly, you've got dark magicians organising them, and they have varying degrees of intelligence. You've got the classic shambling hordes which are utterly useless, and then you've got rather more intelligent ones that can operate firearms. Some of them can use more complicated machines.

They were aware of the differences between them and the living...for example, they'd get corpses they weren't using, pile them up and set fire to them to fill their positions with smoke, because that'd affect attacking humans, but not themselves.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Either the nercomorph from Deadspace or the zombie headcrab from Half Life.

With nercomorph, it's already bad enough that it's an undead but to have the victim guts and bodyparts to be mutated into something more horrifying! With the zombie Headcrab, I read somewhere that the victim is still alived under the headcrab!

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Oh...waitwaitwait.

Edward Cullen...he's a totally horrible person that everyone automatically and instantly loves on sight.

Like, he'll break into your house at night to watch you sleep or do other really creepy thing...and you can't complain about this to anyone, because they all love him. And he'll make you love him as well.

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
Right off the top of my head, I'd go with Marvel Zombies. Like normal zombies, they're constantly rotting and driven to consume the flesh of the living. However, they also retain their memories and personality, so they're fully aware of the atrocities that they're committing, but the hunger is so powerful that they can't stop.

Plus, if I recall, the virus only affects superheroes/villains, so they all have their powers as well.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Demolition_Human said:
What version of the undead makes you glad that they do not exist? For me, that would have to be the infected in Left 4 Dead. I mean the virus mutates daily, no cure and the virus creates mutated freaks of nature!! I mean honestly, do you really want to see this coming at you? Not me.

The Squisism from Brian Keene's Rising series.

They were God's first creation, that failed so he chucked them all in a pocket dimension. A freak science experiment tore the fabric of space time and allowed them to occupy the souls of the dead. They're infinite. There are more of them then there are stars in the sky. They're also intelligent, and they get working knowledge of our society from their host bodies. Their leader is Ob. Their mission is to consume humanity/animals and then move on across the galaxy destroying all life... Then they'll go and destroy heaven/hell too.

Also,
They win.

And once the Zombie plague is done, another variation of them will take out the plant and intransgender activation hypno, eventusect life in much the same way. And then these big huge fire demons stomp the planet to make sure it's lifeless.

And that's what I find most scary about them. Most Zombies stories fall into this status quo of survival after a while. You don't get that with these guys. They're unstoppable

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
TakerFoxx said:
Right off the top of my head, I'd go with Marvel Zombies. Like normal zombies, they're constantly rotting and driven to consume the flesh of the living. However, they also retain their memories and personality, so they're fully aware of the atrocities that they're committing, but the hunger is so powerful that they can't stop.

Plus, if I recall, the virus only affects superheroes/villains, so they all have their powers as well.
but only like... Spiderman really felt bad about the situation. Everyone else just turned into sociopaths.

And no, the virus worked on regular humans. Like The Punisher. The only reason we didn't see them as much is because the Heroes more or less completely consumed what they caught with little exception. Beast talks about eating Xaiver at one point.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
Does The Many from System Shock 2 count as undead? Their victims are technically still alive and able to remember things, but gruesomely mutilated and unable to take any action of their own beyond occasionally speaking. Even that gradually fades away as the transformation continues and they lose their human larynx and individual will. And that's just what they do to the males...

I guess the most frightening kind for me is the kind where the victim can actually feel each stage of their transformation, their fear growing all the while. Even when they start attacking, you can still see something human trapped behind the gaze, though that grows smaller and smaller with time.

Rakghouls from The Old Republic probably count for the ease with which it can spread and the revelation that they still possess the original person's memories. One of the Flashpoint villains was planning on spreading the virus to every corner of the galaxy before he was stopped. Imagine infected Wookiees.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
The J'avo (I think that's how you spell it?) from Resident Evil 6, if they count as zombies.

They have all the benefits of zombies (Durability, the ability to turn people into more of themselves) and those of regular soldiers (Tactics, the ability to use Guns/Tanks) and can grow new limbs in response to damage (shoot their arms off so they can't shoot you? they grow huge-ass tentacles to stab you with instead, or a shield so you can't shoot them any more.)

For more traditional zombies, I'd nominate "The Yellow" from a Flash Game called "The Breach" or something along those lines, simply because it:

a) Spreads via entering your dreams/subconscious & possessing you, no physical contact/fluid transfer with the infected necessary (making it basically impossible to predict.)

b) Is intelligent, and can remain dormant for however long it sees fit.

Stuntcrab

Apr 2, 2010
Scarim Coral said:

With nercomorph, it's already bad enough that it's an undead but to have the victim guts and bodyparts to be mutated into something more horrifying! With the zombie Headcrab, I read somewhere that the victim is still alived under the headcrab!
Yeah they still are, if you light them on fire you can hear the victim screaming, and if the mp3 file is reversed they say "Help god help, help me"

So yeah headcrab zombies are my choice aswell, seeing how they have to suffer through having their chest ripped open and everything else.

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
In my 36 years, only one version of the undead has ever caused me to lose sleep: those in Stephen King's Pet Semetary. The book, that is, not the laughably bad movie. The movie just put me sleep out of sheer boredom.

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
Part of me wants to go with the boss you have to fight in OoT in the well, that thing is creepy, but it isn't the scariest. If I was to choose one particular one, I would have to go with the predator boss in RE4, where you are waiting for the elevator to come. It's fast, and will come out of nowhere and mess you up if you aren't careful.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
In a manga Franken Fran (that's full of body-horror anyway) there's a sudden disease that starts turning people into zombies who hunger and bite people, and shamble around. Your basic classic Hollywood zombies, really, and people start fighting them.
Except that

The disease actually leaves them fully conscious, but unable to stop spreading the disease. It's not even fatal, and can be fully cured. But since they resemble zombies, people start responding by killing them.
Which Fran points out isn't surprising, because humans like any excuse that let's them kill humans and not feel bad.

gonzo20

Dec 18, 2008
The undead in dark souls, simply because, as long as they have the will to go on, they keep coming back to try and kill you every time and theres not much you can do about it! how terrifying would that be, you might kill them but as long as they think they can continue, they will keep coming back

MeTalHeD

Feb 19, 2014
Scarim Coral said:

Seeing as I am a Dead Space and Left 4 Dead fan...I would say Dead Space critters. The Left 4 Dead ones are just powerful and aren't that scary. Sure, you wouldn't want a Hunter on you, but they're really just mutants with weird abilities. In Dead Space, the necromorphs don't just beat you to death. They rip and shred and tear you apart until you're left in pieces. One even vomits liquid nitrogen into you while another mouth rapes you then decapitates you.

In Left 4 Dead 2 (I have sunk hundreds of hours into number 2) if you have a baseball bat and a small machine gun, you can get through it.

In Dead Space, if you don't upgrade your weapons and armour, you're practically running around naked. I finished that game more than 20 times though (including on Impossible mode). I really loved it, creepy and all.

Also, I do find The Walking Dead zombies scary but because they're a constant threat, so there's perpetual stress and tension. The show is also quite gory. At least they move relatively slowly, unlike the Dead Space ones, who have claws, fangs and projectiles. There are even these little critters that jump onto you and kill you in seconds if you don't stop them before they get to you. One of the scariest ones is the tentacle thing that drags you into a dark hole and eats you.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
ummm... yeah, the ones in Left 4 Dead aren't undead, they're merely infected. That means the ones from the 28 X later movies count as well. But my pick goes to the ones from Crossed. The virus that infects them makes them basically evil personified: psychotic, sadistic, murderous, utterly merciless, completely insane child killing rapists. Just read any of the albums and you'll see.

Azahul

Apr 16, 2011
It's hard. I know a great many excellent portrayals of the undead. But if there's one that immediately springs to mind when I hear the word, it would be the dead from Garth Nix's Old Kingdom series (the books Sabriel, Lirael, Abhorsen). Particularly in Sabriel.

Basically, the story takes place on a continent split in half by a giant stone wall. South of the Wall is an area that seems vaguely Great War period-esque called Ancelstierre. North of the Wall is the Old Kingdom, a feudal territory where magic permeates everything and causes technology to fail.

The undead themselves are an interesting mix. They go from Hands, basically just zombies animated with necromancy. Then you have Shadow Hands, incorporeal creatures able to harm the living but virtually immune to retaliation (even most forms of magic). There are strange creatures made from mud and blood that can cross back and forth between Death and the material world. And finally there are the Greater Dead, fully sentient monsters with powerful necromancy.

But it's the people of Ancelstierre that I feel for. When the wind blows from the north, magic crosses the Wall and plays havoc with technology in the area just to the south. Then an army built for trench warfare, managed by bureaucrats far to the south who don't appreciate the nature of the conflict, finds itself facing dead foes just as the weapons decide to fail.

To quote a soldier from the Perimeter, "This crossing point has seen too many battles, too many dead. Before those idiots down south took things under central command the crossing point was moved every ten years, up to the next gate on the Wall. But forty years ago some... bureaucrat... decreed that there would be no movement. It was a waste of public money. This was, and is to be, the only crossing point. Never mind that, over time, there would be such a concentration of death, mixed with Free Magic, leaking over the Wall that everything would... not stay dead. When I arrived the trouble was just beginning. Corpses wouldn't stay buried - our people or the Old Kingdom creatures. Soldiers killed the day before would turn up on parade. Creatures prevented from crossing would rise up and do more damage than they did when they were alive."

It's nasty, nasty stuff being posted to the Wall. Mass bouts of "mass hysteria" led to traumatised soldiers being rotated off the posting in droves. The worse the situation is, the more likely it is that the technology you count on won't work. And all the while your commanders are sending you more ammunition and barbed wire to use against wraiths and zombies that barely notice either of them.

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
If the monsters from Killing Floor count, than Killing Floor gets the vote from me. There's just something fucked up about somewhat undead humans genetically modified to be more than just walking corpse's that creeps me out.