What is the shortest time you've spent at a job before quitting.

Sounga

Sep 23, 2013
A few weeks ago I got a second job for the winter just to have some spending money after i payed the bills since my main job is at a restaurant that crawls to a stop in the winter.

It was at a McDonalds about 30 minutes away from my house. After an hour or two i had to stop myself from walking out the door. After three days i gave my two weeks notice for many reasons. The top one being it was starting to clash with my main jobs schedule , which i was told that Mcdonalds would work around. I also was told by almost everyone working the grill area to "get out whenever you can." and disliked the way the manager talked to his employees.

I promptly got yelled at by most of my family for "not giving the job a fair shot". So my question is what is the shortest time you have spent working for a company before you quit or gave notice?

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
A summer. I had summer jobs when I was a kid. I only left to go back to school. I'm not the type who quits unless conditions are really untenable. Even then it takes me a long time. For instance, I debated quitting my current job for years because the manager didn't care about work ethic, hired and then blatantly favored his worthless cumstain of a son, accused anyone who presented an issue he didn't like of lying, and so forth. Now he's gone, and I have his job, plus the pay that goes with it.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
After I graduated high school, I applied at two places, one was a mom and pop drive in store. The other a supermarket chain. I had already gotten the job at the supermarket chain and decided to stick with that. The day I was suppose to start, the mom and pop store called me and asked why I wasn't at work. Turns out, they hired me... and forgot to tell me that. I ended up quitting on my first day.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
I've never quit a job. I got my first job at 18 and I've yet to quit it. It is only a seasonal job, though, so I only work it 4-5 months a year.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
When I got fired from my job at Domino's Pizza, I decided to hit up one of the local independent pizzeras that needed a driver. The first night, I saw their delivery map, and that they delivered to all the places Domino's wouldn't... for good reason.

I quit after three hours.

ryan_cs

Aug 13, 2013
The Rogue Wolf said:
When I got fired from my job at Domino's Pizza, I decided to hit up one of the local independent pizzeras that needed a driver. The first night, I saw their delivery map, and that they delivered to all the places Domino's wouldn't... for good reason.

Well that wasn't very informative, and you got me curious too. What's on the map?

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
Once I decided to give Amazon the benefit of the doubt. This was before that undercover documentary, mind, so all I had was word of mouth to warn me. I was there a week before I left. For the most part the people that worked there were awful, the people in charge were awful, the work wasn't inherently hard or taxing but their expectations were far beyond what was reasonable.

I called them up before my shift was due to start one day and just told them I wouldn't be coming back. I didn't tell them why and chances are they already knew. Go to the managers there with a problem or other concern and be ready to be told to fuck off and get back to work.

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
The fastest I've ever left a job was 3 weeks, but I didn't quit. I was fired.... For a completely bullshit reason. I had started at a verizon retailer (I.E. while they are authorized to sell verizon phones, they are not a part of verizon), on my second week, I caught the flu that was going around. I still managed to make it in to work, but the manager sent me home after 3 hours because I just didn't look well (nor did I feel it). The next day I started vomiting, so I called out and went to the doctor, the doctor gave me some meds and a work pass. Luckily it was the weekend, so I had a couple days to recover before going back to work. Now, since the job pays with a 1 week stagger, it would be 3 weeks before I got my first paycheck. My paycheck was due the friday of the third week, and I was cutting it close on gas. I finished up the work week, and then on Saturday (normally one of my days off) my manager calls and asks if I can come in. I told him that I would be happy to come in, but I hadn't received my paycheck yet, even though it was supposed to have been at my place the day before. He assured me that the paycheck would be there that day, and that it was probably some delay in the mail.

Well the paycheck did not arrive that Saturday, and Monday was Labor Day, so I wouldn't be getting it then either. But, since I had worked Saturday, I couldn't make it to work Monday (my job was 40 miles away). So I called him and explained the situation. He said that it was fine, and not to worry about it. It should be there the next day. Tuesday comes and I still have no check, and no gas. I call him up and he fires me.

Now the quickest I've ever quit a job was one year and four months. I was working at a correctional institute, and there was some dirty business going on with some of the other officers there, and I had been put into one too many questionable positions. So I decided that I would be better off not working there than risk being caught up in their shenanigans.

Mr Fixit

Oct 22, 2008
About 4 hours, I can't remember exactly. They wanted me to work 12 hour shifts 7 days a week for minimum wage on top of an hour drive to & from work & then they were just going to lay me off after two weeks anyway. I got treated like shit for those 4 hours & said "fuck it, I don't need this shit" so they paid me out of petty cash & I walked. I might have stuck it out if it would have been a permanent job, but I won't deal with that to just end up looking for another job in a few days.

Luckily I found a good job after that & have been working at the same place for a little over ten years now.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
The only thing I ever quit was a (paid) internship. It was only after a week, and it would've lasted another week anyway. Good riddance, my boss was corrupt as fuck and wanted to bribe me from day one.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
The Rogue Wolf said:

That piqued my interest. I would also like to hear of these forbidding places.

OT: I went back to work at my first job for a second summer but only managed about three months. Everything had changed, most of it for the worst. Getting help from the new bosses was like trying to draw blood from a stone. A few were so pigheaded that I wanted to throw the cash register at them. There were customers that fell into that category as well. All the entertaining staff had been fired and replaced by people who were by no means bad but just not the same.

After one particular boss's bullshit, I quit and never looked back. That particular boss was dismissed among with several others for theft and/or incompetence.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
ONE DAY. It was a job for some moving company, that I had started in the middle of July. HUGE MISTAKE. Don't. Ever. Start a job requiring heavy physical exertion outdoors in the middle of Summer. The first and only move I helped with was for an elderly couple that had boxes of jars of pennies. You could not imagine how heavy those boxes were or how the cardboard was holding together under that much strain. After an hour or three - time gets hazy when heat is visibly radiating off the street - I was reduced to a hyperventilating stupor trying to catch my breath in the back of the truck. I'll never work in anything related to furniture transportation ever again.

Mr Fixit said:
About 4 hours, I can't remember exactly. They wanted me to work 12 hour shifts 7 days a week for minimum wage on top of an hour drive to & from work & then they were just going to lay me off after two weeks anyway. I got treated like shit for those 4 hours & said "fuck it, I don't need this shit" so they paid me out of petty cash & I walked. I might have stuck it out if it would have been a permanent job, but I won't deal with that to just end up looking for another job in a few days.

Luckily I found a good job after that & have been working at the same place for a little over ten years now.
I had a job like that from an assignment agency. It went completely against my work philosophy - which is simply, work to live, don't live to work - but it was money. After a week of 15 hour days - 12 working, hour lunch, 2 hours driving, I nearly had an accident that Friday from dozing off at the wheel, near a school. That was the sign I needed that I had to do something, anything but that job.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
About 3-4 months.
The work was fine, if a bit tedious, so when I got a better offer somewhere else I left.

barbzilla said:
Did you ever receive that paycheck?

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
1 day.

To be fair, it was only meant to be a 2 day work experience thing, but it was awful.

Standing there all day unwrapping boxes and clothes, that I can do. Putting things on hangers, that I can do.

But when some scary lady comes around to everyone asking where her "fuckin' box knife" is, and threatens to stab whoever took it. When the person who took it gave it to me because I didn't have one. That I can't do.

Death threats over a box knife... I do not wanna work there even for another day.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
2 days in construction. Definitely the most blue-collar job I've ever taken. Anyway, my car broke down after the second day, so I couldn't get to work (I lived in the suburbs, far from any public transportation). I took that as my cue to find another one.

Reiper

Mar 26, 2009
AccursedTheory said:
6 years, exactly, to the day.

Fuck you, US Army Signal Corp. Fuck you.
Ho ho, six years with signals, that is practically an eternity! I quit a Canadian army signals regiment after the first weekend of bootcamp.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
sky14kemea said:
1 day.

To be fair, it was only meant to be a 2 day work experience thing, but it was awful.

Standing there all day unwrapping boxes and clothes, that I can do. Putting things on hangers, that I can do.

But when some scary lady comes around to everyone asking where her "fuckin' box knife" is, and threatens to stab whoever took it. When the person who took it gave it to me because I didn't have one. That I can't do.

Death threats over a box knife... I do not wanna work there even for another day.
Holy shit. I take it this wasn't your average Sally Army centre? XD

Back where I used to work, there was one infamous employee who went down in the annals of company history for not giving even a fraction of a fuck about the job. He got drunk and rolled a delivery van off a sea wall, then dropped an entire tray of glasses down a staircase so he could raise both arms, snap his fingers like a SpyCrab and shout *BLAP-BLAP!* in greeting to a coworker. If I recall correctly, he also frequently beat-boxed at an obnoxious volume in front of customers. Needless to say, the place was considerably poorer for his departure.

Wasted

Dec 19, 2013
About three months.

I worked on and off at a Toys R Us during the four years I worked on my undergrad degree. I "quit" two or three times to focus on schooling but as soon as things settled down I would go back. I was a good worker so the management was happy to rehire me every time I applied. When I finally got my degree I wanted to continue my education and pursue a master's degree. So I was accepted to a program and was planning to commute the first year since it would save money living at home even with a two hour trip to and from school. During this time one of my old friends at Toys R Us became manager and asked me to go back. Hesitant, he convinced me to return eliminating my only free days I had in the week. Three months my manager friend had what I believe was a nervous breakdown and abruptly quit and left the state. Never found out what happened since our communication essentially ended there. Being that he was the only reason I agreed to return I quit shortly after right before the holiday season started up.