What is the stupidest popup that was clearly a virus you ever seen?

May 29, 2011
I once got a spam email trying to sell me barbed wire. No really. barbed wire.

And I wonder, Why do websites actually allow virus filled pop-ups on their website. I know they have to make money somehow but could you at least you legit advertisers instead of fooling the technology retarded?

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Alexander Cunningham said:

And I wonder, Why do websites actually allow virus filled pop-ups on their website. I know they have to make money somehow but could you at least you legit advertisers instead of fooling the technology retarded?
Well.... why wouldn't you want barbed wire? I mean, seriously? Why not?

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
perpetual-mind said:
You know those ads that can tell where you are?
They always pop up saying "Hello, would you like to know some night clubs in LONDON!?" (for example).

Well, before I had one that was supposedly a woman talking to me.

"Hey there, I saw that we lived near each other on your profile and wanted to know if youd like to meet up in... UNITED KINGDOM for a drink and maybe a little fun ;D"
Ben GTFO lol kidding iv gotten those type quite often I wish I could see a counter of how many people fell for them

SkyKitty

Dec 15, 2009
I was just randomly browsing the Terraria wiki (In Internet explorer cause I had a lot of saved video tabs in firefox and didnt wanna pause em all) And since I had no popup blocker/noscript, I got one of those "UR COMPUTAR IS INFECTOR, WE WILL NOW SCAN WITHOUT YOUR PERMISSION"

Those ones that find a non existent virus.

I'm not sure if the ad itself was a virus, but I haven't gotten one in years, and I always thought they themselves installed some virus.

chumble

Jun 2, 2011
Not so much a virus as a account hack, but all the Facebook 'We now have a dislike button! Go here to get it' statuses. I honestly will face-desk the next person who falls for that.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
I love the ones that are advertising a free virus scan, and have the little "X" in the upper right corner of the box to "close them out." I run OSX. My "X" to close is in the upper left.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Mike Laserbeam said:
Not a virus but, do you ever see those "YOUR PHONE CAN BE X-RAY GLASSES!!!" ads that are obviously scams? They usually feature an attractive woman who is wearing clothes, partially overlaid by a phone and the phone's screen is showing what is supposedly under her clothes (Always have underwear though for some reason...)
Oh yeah I've seen one like that, except the image on the phone's screen implied that the she was nude but it stopped short of showing the juicy bits.

CakeDragon

Mar 10, 2009
I have fallen for one virus and I feel ashamed to admit to it...
It was a popup that was the spitting image of AVG. Something about a background scan, the usual stuff you get from AVG. So I clicked OK or whatever. Bad move boyo!

exessmirror

Apr 26, 2011
you are the millionth ever/this week/this month/this year/etc. visitor, click here to claim your price

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
YOU HAVE 10,000 VIRUSES AND 150 WORMS!

click fast, secure, safe comuter protect to remove them now!

(I think I got all the saftey words and spellings right)

I also had a fake AVG but as I just got rid of avg before that(since its update was crashing my system) I laughed at it, they also made some errors in language choice that avg would not use.

May 29, 2011
vrbtny said:
Alexander Cunningham said:

Well.... why wouldn't you want barbed wire? I mean, seriously? Why not?
My house is covered in that shit. If I had any more it would be a war-crime.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Hate to necro the thread but Ihave funny one.

'YOU ARE NOW DOWNLOADING THE INTERNET!!!!!!!! 4gb of 190909099999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999gb downloaded YURE HARD DRIVE IS FULL CLIK 2 CANCEL!'

I wish I was fucking kidding.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
Not a popup but the worst virus i have seen was a fake anti virus under the name of "Antivirus Action". Apparently even my log off script was malware!

otherwise the Nigerian prince that is about to give me tonnes of land for $2000.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
As a Mac user, nearly all pop ups and shady banner ads are hilarious, because they all use Windows XP style frames, buttons etc. on them, claiming they're alert messages from my own computer.

Shadowfaze

Jul 15, 2009
"Your computer has 670 viruses! It is STRONGLY suggested you purchase our $89.99 anti virus software now!