What is the worst thing a game can do?

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
Be boring. Really, there are a bunch of little things, but they can all be rolled up into being plain uninteresting, repetitive, and simply boring.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
andreas3K said:
Regenerating health, respawning enemies, cliffhanger ending, mute protagonist.
I can understand most of those, but silent protagonists are a storytelling method.
The player being the character as opposed to controlling a character, I guess.
Besides, there are a few brilliant silent protagonists.
Such as Gordon Freeman and Samus. (Other M, the sexist load of anal discharge, does not count.)

andreas3K

Feb 6, 2010
Lilani said:
andreas3K said:
mute protagonist.
Really? I think the last thing that would improve Half-Life 2 would be if Gordon Freeman spoke.
ninetails593 said:
andreas3K said:
mute protagonist.
Denamic said:
andreas3K said:
Regenerating health, respawning enemies, cliffhanger ending, mute protagonist.
I can understand most of those, but silent protagonists are a storytelling method.
The player being the character as opposed to controlling a character, I guess.
Besides, there are a few brilliant silent protagonists.
Such as Gordon Freeman and Samus. (Other M, the sexist load of anal discharge, does not count.)
I just think it's really boring.

Dusty Fred

Aug 3, 2011
Spontaneously combust and burn your console, your dwelling and, indeed, all your other posessions.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Long gaps between save/respawn points.

This can single handedly ruin a game for me as I'll sooner give up on it than try a section hundreds of times to beat it. Secondly, it sucks to have to devote an hour or more to a game because the save points wont let you deal with life as it comes up.

Ninja Gaiden (NES) is a prime example. Die against the final trio of bosses and you get pushed back to the bridge several levels back. This is both frustrating and is reason enough for lots of people to have never beaten this game.

Metroid Prime 1 & 2: Long difficult segments between save points. In the case of Prime 2, this is the main reason I've never beaten the game.

Handbag1992

Apr 20, 2009
Rawne1980 said:
Sleep with my wife.

I'd be pissed off if I came home to find Oblivion humping my missus.
I too would be hurt if I found any of my RPG's cheating on me.

Thundero13

Mar 19, 2009
The worst thing a game can do? I guess glorify nazi's and have a level where you get put in a room and have to beat up black people, I mean, after I saw that episode of Extra Credits its hard to imagine anything worse...

soulless-5

Aug 30, 2011
Personally the worst thing a game can do is virus my computer, it's happened before and it really ruins your day (and the next couple until it's fixed)

FC Groningen

Apr 1, 2009
Start of good and then about halfway starting to suck. I really hate it to be drawn into a good game and getting hooked on it to have the entire game and experience ruined about 8 hours in. Its possible the plot stops making sense, the game introducing terrible gameplay innovations, cutting away from the current characters to switch to new and unappealing characters, being dropped in unappealing surroundings multiple times, or just forcing you to backtrack for multiple hours for items.

Dutch 924

Making the impossible happen!
Dec 8, 2010
In my opinion, being too hard.

Don't get me wrong, I like a challenging game (a rarity these days) but when it becomes annoying because of continuous faliure there's a problem.

I also don't like being dragged everywhere by the game. I enjoy it when you can go where you want, when you want