What is this happiness thing really?

karlstech

Aug 4, 2014
Hey there everyone,

Just wanted to ask you something,

Are you happy? Yes, no? Why?

A simple questions that comes with perhaps a not so simple answer!

Thank you,
Karl

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Mostly, yes. If I ever get depressed it's usually because I feel I am squandering my time. I have a lot of things going for me these days, so it doesn't take much convincing to realize I am just being silly when I get down.

What is happiness? Cats. Lots of cats.

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
Hmm. Yes and no.

No in that I'm not content at where my life is at the moment, or how I'm doing mentally (I have a pretty severe case of social anxiety). Yes in that I feel that I'm getting better and change is happening in the not so distant future, as well as when I can sit back and enjoy my hobbies. I'm also happy with having a couple of really close friends and a loving family and I'm living in a safe place.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Happiness is a 1998 film by director Todd Solondz, previously best known for his solid work on "Welcome to the Dollhouse". Roger Ebert gave the film four out of four stars, and rated it #5 in his top 10 films of 1998. In his review, he wrote: "...the depraved are only seeking what we all seek, but with a lack of ordinary moral vision... In a film that looks into the abyss of human despair, there is the horrifying suggestion that these characters may not be grotesque exceptions, but may in fact be part of the mainstream of humanity....It is not a film for most people. It is certainly for adults only. But it shows Todd Solondz as a filmmaker who deserves attention, who hears the unhappiness in the air and seeks its sources."

For a black comedy with extremely controversial subject matter it was unusually well received critically, and is considered something of a cult classic, despite never receiving widespread popular acclaim.

karlstech said:
Sometimes?

People aren't really "Happy" in the same way they're "Hungry" or "Horny". It's a much more diffuse emotion, that takes on many forms, and may ebb or flow from minute to minute. I'm happy because this soup tastes good, and now I'm miserable because I spilled some in my lap.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Happiness is a warm gun, mama. When I hold you in my arms and I feel my finger on your trigger I know no one can do me no harm. Because happiness is a warm gun, mama.

Evil Moo

Always Watching...
Feb 26, 2011
I tend not to be happy in general. My baseline mood is probably somewhere on the negative side. Things that improve my mood will usually only get me as high as neutral and anything higher will tend to drop down quite quickly. I've no real reason not to be fairly happy other than a few ongoing stressful events, but even before those, it was the same. Distracting myself with games and YouTube videos keeps me chugging along feeling vaguely satisfied with my existence, but I'm not sure my approach is wholly healthy as a long term solution. It feels like I'm missing something.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Yes, quite often. I'd say life is good. After many years, I have found the placid waters of contentment.

Happiness and hope are in the little everyday deeds, I find. In the simple, good-natured acts.

giles

Feb 1, 2009
Yea. Knowing my situation not everyone would think I was happy, but I'm easy to please apparently.

Hebby

Dec 8, 2013
karlstech said:
Mostly and for the latter! Dopamine, serotonin, oxytocin and endorphin. Our happy chemicals which is produced in our brain.
But I realize perhaps you was looking for a less scientific approach:)

Oct 10, 2011
Well, I've been miserable almost constantly for most of my life. But now... now things are looking up, and I've got a lot of good things going for me. So yeah, I'm happy. And I can't see anything bringing me down.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
Ask me a week ago and I probably would have said yes.

Right now, though? I'm feeling pretty ambivalent to just about everything.

I'd say I'm a rather fickle individual.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Hm. Yes.

My past four years in college were utterly terrible, largely because at the time, it had not occurred to me that my postgraduate "plans" were not something that'd make me happy. This year I finally told my parents that I'd rather be a librarian than any kind of doctor, and that I'd probably need online schooling to accomplish that. Much to my surprise, they were actually rather supportive. I'll be wrapping up undergrad school by the end of this year. On a related note, I got a better job at the same library I've been working at the past few years.

I finally feel like I have some semblance of direction in my life. It didn't seem too apparent to me until I really thought about it, but I'm probably happier than I've ever been.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Not really happy at the moment. Shit job, car needs repairs, no girlfriend or sex for 3 years, bad date last week.

Though there are positives on the horizon for me. In line to get a new flat hopefully in the next month or so and I've been accepted into the RAF, as soon as I get fitter. So not happy right now, but its slowly picking up.

Thought I do love Code Geass' quote on what happiness could be. Lelouch says:

"The Shape of happiness might resemble glass..
Even though you don't usually notice it, it's still definitely there...
You merely have to change your Point of View slightly..
and that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light.
"

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
I'm just lonely. And bored. Moved recently. I'm having a tough time making friends. Trying to meet people through my college has been a huge bust so far. My brother is the only person I have to hangout with, which I'm incredibly grateful for. Just be'd nice to get to know some new people. It's difficult when I've basically been in recluse-mode for nearly two years, working and deciding what I want to do with my life.

Adept Mechanicus

Oct 14, 2012
The person I love just said she loved me back. To hear the words "I love you," and to be able to say "I love you too," is exactly what happiness is. We can't be together because of very complicated reasons, but that knowledge makes me so happy. Just wanted to share.

karlstech

Aug 4, 2014
Wow, it's awesome to see so many people answer in so many different ways! Happiness really is a special emotion or state of mind, it can be interpreted in so many different ways, depending on whose speculating on it!

Thanks for the answers so far, keep em' coming!

P.S: Thinking of writing an article soon enough on happiness, do think it would be something people would read?

Cheers,
Karl

Flutterguy

Jun 26, 2011
Hmm I felt a bit melancholy, but after coming here and assuming OP is more miserable then me I feel bloody great.

Thanks Karl.

CrystalViolet

May 14, 2014
karlstech said:
P.S: Thinking of writing an article soon enough on happiness, do think it would be something people would read?
Depends. Where are you writing it? From what perspective?