What is this obsession with framerates over 30FPS?

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Deviate said:
Elect G-Max said:
Snippage, representing everyone in this thread going "I can't see a difference!".
Clearly, that means no one else ever could nor would see a difference, amirite? Yeah, no, you're not deficient at all. It's everyone else having some sort of freakish sight mutation that makes them capable of distinguishing between a visual shart and glorious three digits of frames per second.
You calling him 'deficient' just makes you come off as mean, and elitist on top of it. Most of all, it's because he isn't deficient, but simply lacks experience that you have.

Consider this analogy: Elect G-Max has probably eaten plain ol' steak his entire life, and is completely used to it. You, on the other hand, have massive amounts of experience eating both normal steak (which you abhor) and fine, expensive tenderloin/Filet Mignon/Kobe Beef.

You, along with other rich PC players/rich food connoisseurs, can see the difference between these types of steak really easily, since you've spent years paying attention to the differences.

G-Max, and myself, however, have found the normal steak to be perfectly acceptable for eating, and don't have the same thirst for delicious steak. Give him a week or two time with 60fps gameplay, and then stick him back into sub-20 fps, and I can guarantee that he'll notice the difference. A one-time feasting, though, probably won't be enough to notice the subtlety that you take for granted.

This is coming from the man that, besides hating steak, had gotten used to 10fps gameplay and has, just these past two days, been playing on his brand new gaming laptop. NOW I can see the differences, but before I just couldn't comprehend why you guys were so desperate over saving your e-peens. Give G-Max my laptop, and I bet he'll reach a similar conclusion in a gaming environment.

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
It doesn't mean much to me. My laptop is getting old and I'm content with 20 FPS, most people would say that's "unplayable" but I say fuck them.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
It's a noticeable difference for a lot of people.

It's also considerably important in FPS games where there's a lot going on and the more frames, the smoother all the action is.

If you're playing an RTS, a low frame rate is rather meaningless, a fast action game however, and your reaction time can be affected by your frame rate.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Deviate said:
chadachada123 said:
Moar Snippage.
I am mean and elitist. In fact, I'm a registered Elitist Jerk. The reason I'm somewhat cantankerous about this is not really related to that. Hell, just take a quick look at the post -after- mine for an example. In this very thread, there's dozens upon dozens of posts explaining exactly why high fps is of enormous benefit. The veritable cornucopia of reasons are there for everyone to see, backed with evidence, logic, reason and examples.

And yet... the 'normal steak eaters' completely ignore this and with the fervor and zeal of your average religious fundamentalist they will repeat their completely unsubstantiated, unsupported and frankly illogical claim as if it's cosmic truth of some sort.

Trust me. "Mean and elitist" people like me wouldn't have to be mean nor elitist if people stopped being quite so willfully ignorant and stupid. It usually takes quite a few of these people to turn people like me into well-oiled snark machines. No one's patience is endless. We've simply ran out of it.
I see a recursive effect here: The normal steak eaters are annoyed at the particularly elitist PC players that insist that any food that doesn't cost $2000 is untouchable, when we know first-hand that it is very much edible, making us zealous in return towards ALL high-fps players, and repeating ad nauseum. I see both sides acting retarded.

And believe me when I say that I was JUST in the 'I don't see the appeal' category not more than 4 days ago. I think that these normal-steak-eaters aren't being unreasonable, since they literally do not have the capacity to understand the appeal since they haven't become accustomed to it like you are and like I'm becoming. They're used to poorer gaming conditions, man.

I get the blessing of being able to see how stupid both sides are acting during my transition.

Judgement101

Mar 29, 2010
Because PC gamers are entitled jerks who will never be happy with anything. Sorry, I'm just mad about the Dark Souls thing.

In all seriousness, I'm not really sure, I play a lot of games at 30 or less frames. Hell, I play League of Legends at 20 FPS. I think its more of a wanting something to feel more smooth while playing. LoL feels like a river of gravel to me soooooo yeah.

Dahemo

Aug 16, 2008
Matthew94 said:
Dahemo said:
It's because there is a time and a place for slide shows and while I'm trying to put the hurting on some AI noobs is not one of them...

In all seriousness it's an e-peen issue, on PC it's a hardware dependent measurable so people attempt to maximise it to ensure their L337 status, why else would you even need to bring up an f.p.s. counter on your HUD otherwise? Yeah, immersion is SO OVERRATED these days.

As someone who has never been interested in questing for the bleeding edge of PC performance, I really don't see the point in this current era, my humble laptop runs any PC specific games, my console handles the legion of higher end titles which are now all cross platform without fail...
Or maybe people like hard figures to make sure they know what settings affect their fps...
Sorry, I couldn't disagree with you more, if you're having frame rate issues, you can see it, if you're not, you can't. What you're talking about is frame rate consistency, that is VERY important for shooters but again, when things get busy you'll see any issues you have, and getting the game running smoothly throughout is a cause I can understand,

But if you read the OP, you will notice this discussion regards 30+ frame rates, which given that the fluidity ceiling of 20 or so, the OP gives the number, and if you're game is perfectly fluid anyway, what's the point? That was the question, I've yet to see a valid argument that counters my point...

IamGamer41

Mar 19, 2010
Da Orky Man said:
DazZ. said:
Windknight said:
Ok, essentially, as I understand it, any frame-rate of about 10-20 or more is enough to provide an illusions of a moving picture.
Have you ever played any game at 20 frames? Preferably some form of FPS as I feel those suffer the most.

It's immensely unplayable, and that's not me that's non gaming friends trying to run things on their laptops.
I currently play Republic Commando on my netbook at about 15 fps with no problems. SUre, it
looks somewhat choppy, but perfectly playable.

If you played it at the full 60fps you would never want to play it at 15fps again.trust me.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
This thread is still going? Christ.

Zachary Amaranth said:
SeeIn2D said:
Well the 60 FPS games I have are noticeably different visually than the 30 FPS games I have. Now what I don't get is justifying why to get a gaming PC with the ability to play games at 250 FPS. That's just shocking.
ANY technical element will get obsessives who want to push it well beyond the logical boundaries.

Somewhere out there, someone is running a rig with an 8 core processor, a 500 dollar graphics card and 64 GB RAM to play Pong.

And he will swear he can notice the difference.
Well yeah, of course he can. It'll probably be running at ten times the intended speed and the computer will always win because he won't be able to keep up with how fast the ball is moving. :D

Raioken18

Dec 18, 2009
Yeah.... even on minecraft there's a major difference between 30-60 fps. If I have sonic shaders on my computer slows down to 15fps which is just unplayable. With everything maxed out without sonic shaders it's around 30fps but the thing is that you can move fast enough to see the tearing, it is really obvious because of the block based nature, moving around at 30fps does create the illusion of movement but you can see each frame happening and there's usually a 5mm-1cm gap between the position of objects in the game as you move, it's really choppy. (That might not seem like much but it is on like a 23 inch monitor and I'm about 70-80cm away from it.

When compared to say a 52 inch tv, the distance you are from that tv makes it harder to see, like you are around 2-3m away from the tv and don't really notice it as much.

But the thing is... it's not being a graphics w**** because I would prefer lower spec graphics and higher frame rates (hence loving Minecraft and older school games like WoW and Battlefield BC 2.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
I've seen games run at 60, they don't look any different to me than 30, and I have good eyes. However, below 30 things start getting noticeably chuggier to me, so I would like to have 40-50ish to have some room for more intense scenes to drop the framerate and not go below 30, but that's just me.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
IamGamer41 said:
Da Orky Man said:
DazZ. said:
Windknight said:
Ok, essentially, as I understand it, any frame-rate of about 10-20 or more is enough to provide an illusions of a moving picture.
Have you ever played any game at 20 frames? Preferably some form of FPS as I feel those suffer the most.

It's immensely unplayable, and that's not me that's non gaming friends trying to run things on their laptops.
I currently play Republic Commando on my netbook at about 15 fps with no problems. SUre, it
looks somewhat choppy, but perfectly playable.

If you played it at the full 60fps you would never want to play it at 15fps again.trust me.
I have. I currently play it on my netbook, usually getting the framerate above. However, I do on occasion play it on the family computer, which is a quad-core, 8gb RAM monster. I would guess it easily gets 60fps, and likely more.

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
Depends on the game. TF2, IMHO, needs the extra frame rates and to me it is very noticeable.

NinjaDuckie

Sep 9, 2009
I honestly don't see any difference between the two and couldn't care less what FPS I have as long as it's a regular, unstuttering image. According to the turnout on this thread, however. I'm apparently a minority.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
I'd say it's a question of what you want to achieve as an experience, versus what you can reach. Below thirty frames per second, there's not a single title out there that could qualify as being playable. 30 FPS is the absolute minimum to reliably enjoy anything related to games.

If you can crank your FPS count to higher and have it reach sixty, then all you're doing is getting yourself some extra comfort. Animations are going to look more fluid, movement is going to feel entirely natural. Lifelong gamers could tell you that 30 FPS still does feel a little artificial. There's an undefinable... "something" the eyes start picking up that makes the experience uncomfortable. Minuscule hiccups between frames, maybe. I've had that impression, but I can't quantify it.

Then there's the fact that nowadays, 30 FPS is borderline. The game works and doesn't chug, sure, but if it ever drops below that, all bets are off. I personally consider the sixty-plus mark to be something that's mainly there to give me some breathing room. That way I won't jump between moments where everything's smooth as silk, and other moments where my rig goes "HUUUUUUURRR, RENDERING EACH FRAME AT THE SWEAT OF MY FREAKING BROW, AAAARRRGH!"

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
24 frames per second is perfect for a medium such as film, where there is a fundamental disconnect between work and audience. It's an additional artifice which simply makes it easier on the eye.

In an interactive format, the difference between 30 and 60 fps is quite obvious, and often detrimental to the fluidity of the experience. In a game you are expected to navigate directly, and personally I find that a bit challenging and disconcerting with anything less than, say, 45 frames per second.

bioject

Aug 12, 2010
Windknight said:
Ok, essentially, as I understand it, any frame-rate of about 10-20 or more is enough to provide an illusions of a moving picture. Indeed, movies and television have a framerate of 24 FPS, and no-one seems to find any problem with them being choppy or slow.

So why so much freakout at frame-rates being capped at 30 FPS, or this obsession with getting it up to 60? if you've surpassed the point needed to create the illusion of a fluid, moving picture, do you really need to push it even father? or is this some 'OMG GOTTA SHOW OFF MY HARDWARE POWER!' thing thats ost posing and showing off?
I don't know if you've noticed or perhaps you're a console gamer and never think about FPS, but generally achieving a solid 60fps makes the game look and feel butter smooth. I can feel and see the difference whenever I hit 30 fps. For a movie where you're just watching, I guess 24fps is fine, but for games where you're actively manipulating camera angles it's a huge difference. These days I pretty much consider anything below 30 unplayable as it is too annoying to play. Beyond 60 is just pointless though.