What is Touhou

aochoa2005

Mar 4, 2012
So I play alot of TF2 and I have noticed a mod to change the character designs to these animesh characters.
I love anime, but I heard from some other people playing with these characters that Touhou is actually a game.

What is Touhou, what platform is it for, and is this game a good game in your opinion (please explain your answers with reasons why something is good or bad).

Sangnz

Oct 7, 2009
Google is your friend, given the huge amount of info around that which is Touhou here is a link to a wiki page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touhou_Project

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Touhou. The game with beautiful lights and patterns that you don't even get to appreciate because you're tunnelvisioning that 10x10 pixel spot your character is on while trying your damnest not to get killed by the pretty patterns and lights.

And this looks like an easy one.

Also, this type of games is quite a nice pastime if done well.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
There was a thread about it a while back. It turned into a trainwreck, but the gist of it is a "bullet hell" game in which many particles go slowly towards you and you dodge them.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
OhJohnNo said:
There was a thread about it a while back. It turned into a trainwreck, but the gist of it is a "bullet hell" game in which many particles go slowly towards you and you dodge them.
Yeah, I thought of that thread as well. OP, if you are interested, here it is [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.376671-LilithSlave-teaches-you-about-the-one-true-religion-Touhou]. Just don't read much after the opening post.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Oh no don't bring up that game or LilithSlave will give you a yelling (I kid)! As DoPo already posted, look at that link to get a bias information on that game.

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
aochoa2005 said:
Okay, I am sold on this game.
So where can I get this game so I can play it.
Sadly there is no legitimate way to buy it outside of japan since the dev only sells it at comic conventions in japan.

Safe in the Dark

What is a man?
Jun 5, 2010
lapan said:
aochoa2005 said:
Sadly there is no legitimate way to buy it outside of japan since the dev only sells it at comic conventions in japan.
http://www.jlist.com/product/ZSTH0001

Badaboom.

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
Safe in the Dark said:
lapan said:
aochoa2005 said:
http://www.jlist.com/product/ZSTH0001

Badaboom.
Considering the low number of copies this is porbably second hand copies of the game. Unless he really sells it outside of conventions by now. Either way i'm wrong as second hand copies aren't outlawed yet and thus a legitimate way to buy the game :p

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
In a word, it's hard.

Partly because in order to unlock the good endings, you have to fulfill two conditions:
-Don't play on the easy level - must be normal or higher
-Don't use a single continue.

The game is only about 60 minutes long - but it's so hard that unless you spend ages memorising the patterns, you'll always have to use a continue eventually.

Does have some interesting characters, though - for the one that connected with me the most, look a few pixels to your left... Yeah, she's from Touhou.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
rhizhim said:
i wonder how long it is going to take LilithSlave to come and have a seizure word with you.

its a bullet hell shooter.
Shanicus said:
Man, if only LilithSlave was still here...
didn't know she left.
She started a big "help me find another forum, because obviously I don't fit in around here" thread. I just looked it up, though, and she was still posting in that thread as of a couple of weeks ago, so who knows?

OT: It's a bullet hell shooter with a really dedicated fanbase that produces all sorts of fanfiction, dojin manga, music, and even anime. It's probably more notable for the stuff the fans make than for the official games.

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
It is a bullet hell series. The most famous Bullet hell games ever...

In fact I myself have been wanting to play some of the Touhou games... where can i go to try some?

And now because I have too. The most famous of the Touhou videos.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
leet_x1337 said:
In a word, it's hard.

Partly because in order to unlock the good endings, you have to fulfill two conditions:
-Don't play on the easy level - must be normal or higher
-Don't use a single continue.
Yeah, but you always have to do that in bullet hell games.

Usually doing so will net you an extra even harder final boss to fight as well.

Most of the time Touhou isn't a particularly insane example of Bullet Hell. Not compared to something like Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu Black Label. Or hell even EspGaluda 2 (of which I cannot beat the last boss at all, I can time him out but have never actually legit beaten him, I'm simply not good enough at bullet hell. Deathsmiles* is more my pace, I can get almost to Jitterbug on one credit on level 2 now)

* Touhou, but sideways and by people who can draw.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
It's an amorphous entity that spawned from Japanese anime/manga culture.

The More Complicated Answer: It's a bullet hell game from an one-man independent game developer in the Land Of The Rising Sun. The series started before the 2000s and its fanbase (along with the actual game series) is still going strong.