what is wrong with my internet connection?

LWS666

[Speech: 100]
Nov 5, 2009
so, less than a month ago i saw my friend was online. i invited him to a party (i have a 360) and he says he can't join, so i join his party and it says it can't connect to the party.

a bit later the exact same thing happnes to another guy when i try to join his party, and when we played online it kicked us.

when i got skate 3 it constantly wouldn't connect to EA online

now i have red dead redemption, and it won't let use the multiplayer at all.

WTF?

anyone know what's wrong?

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Don't know about Skate. But RDR is having issues due to an overwhelming volume, iirc.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Your NAT type is probably strict.
I used to have an open NAT, but then I moved house (Across the road to be precise. Yep, directly opposite), and I now have a strict NAT...
Oh well, I suppose people are starting to know how I feel when I play online games...

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
Are you using wireless? If so your 360 wireless adapter may be dying.
I know two people who have had the same problem recently.

mayhar

Jul 15, 2009
firstly:
google
secondly:
more google
thirdly:
probs something to do with your NAT or port forawrding or stupid setting like that
good luck and have a fun time fixing =]

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
Sounds like a problem with the 360 to me, are you sure the connector at the back is securely plugged in?

LWS666

Nov 5, 2009
ziggybogidou said:
YouCallMeNighthawk said:
you have a bad connection? .... maybe?

are you on wireless?
i have a wireless connection, and it has been randomly disconecting when i turn it on. hmmm...

i'll try putting it through the PC, see what happens.

tinkyyy

Nov 17, 2008
Greyfox105 said:
I used to have an open NAT, but then I moved house (Across the road to be precise. Yep, directly opposite), and I now have a strict NAT...
Oh well, I suppose people are starting to know how I feel when I play online games...
This.

My NAT used to be limited or whatever, the one between strict and open, and I would struggle to join parties with friends or get as many games. Now we have a new router and my NAT is open and everything is fine, if you know what you're doing you can normally change it in your routers settings somehow.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
LWS666 said:
ziggybogidou said:
YouCallMeNighthawk said:

are you on wireless?
i have a wireless connection, and it has been randomly disconecting when i turn it on. hmmm...

I assume it as all working fine previously? no other changes that could have caused it?
Like a new router etc.

Davey Woo

Jan 9, 2009
I had similar issues a while back with my internet connection, I'd get to the online or multiplayer section of any game menu and it would disconnect me from Xbox live and wouldn't reconnect until I restart my router.

Check your NAT settings first, if you go to the "test connection" thing in the Xbox menu it will tell you if you're NAT is strict or moderate. (It won't say anything if your NAT is open)

If that fails then I had to get a new Router before mine started working again.

LWS666

Nov 5, 2009
ziggybogidou said:
LWS666 said:
ziggybogidou said:
YouCallMeNighthawk said:

are you on wireless?

I assume it as all working fine previously? no other changes that could have caused it?
Like a new router etc.
i just remembered i'm lazy, and i don't know how to put the connection through the computer.

but the 360 connection (well, all interenet connections on the router) has been dodgy and randomly disconnecting since my step dad moved everything from channel 3 to 7, he says it shouldn't make any difference but it's been happenening since he did that.

Aug 3, 2008
There's many reasons this could happen, most of them have been pointed out by people here so it's just a matter of isolating each thing one by one until you find the culprit.

If your using a BT HomeHub just try turning it off and on again, for some reason they will have an open NAT then once every few weeks or so it will swap to strict, rebooting it changes it back

If it's a port forwarding problem and your unsure what todo take a look at this magical site [link]http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm[/link] It has instructions on port forwarding for hundreds of different routers.

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
Greyfox105 said:
I also have a Strict NAT.
I used to be able to open it by doing some fiddling, but Microsoft did something and now I can't do that anymore.
It is the most annoying thing. I got Rockband 2 purely so I could play it with a bunch of friends in other countries, and now I am stuck with Strict no matter how much fucking around I do.

Bluhhh Strict NAT bluhhh.

LWS666

Nov 5, 2009
baggyn said:
There's many reasons this could happen, most of them have been pointed out by people here so it's just a matter of isolating each thing one by one until you find the culprit.

If your using a BT HomeHub just try turning it off and on again, for some reason they will have an open NAT then once every few weeks or so it will swap to strict, rebooting it changes it back

If it's a port forwarding problem and your unsure what todo take a look at this magical site [link]http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm[/link] It has instructions on port forwarding for hundreds of different routers.
i have a BT homehub 2, and it seems like it's every day i have to restart it.

what is port forwarding and how would it help?

Aug 3, 2008
LWS666 said:
baggyn said:

i have a BT homehub 2, and it seems like it's every day i have to restart it.

what is port forwarding and how would it help?
Basically port forwarding is where you tell your router to open up a particular port.

You can think of a port as a virtual 'hole' into your computer, each port has a number and when something tries to access your computer it will try to go through a port

XBL will use a certain port, if your router doesn't have it opened it may block/restrict traffic coming in on that port as a security measure.

YouCallMeNighthawk

Mar 8, 2010
LWS666 said:
ziggybogidou said:
YouCallMeNighthawk said:

are you on wireless?

I use wireless adapter aswel for my 360 snd it only disconnects me at 6pm randomly or because other people on the internet with the laptop so if this sounds familiar to you then other people may be using up your bandwidth ... actually scratch that i know nothing about internet lol.