What is your all time favourite anime?

Sep 30, 2010
DSK- said:
itsausernamewhatofit said:
DSK- said:
OT: Gintama. It is simply amazing and everyone should watch it.
I read the manga religiously (my favorite manga of all time) but haven't gotten to the anime.
I haven't read the manga, although in my opinion it would completely ruin the experience for me because the voice talent for all of the characters is amazing. Also I don't want to spoil the various story arcs that are going to happen :)
actually most of the reason i don't watch the anime is because i feel that it would ruin my mind's interpretation of the characters voices. Plus in the manga they enjoy breaking the fourth wall. One time this guy is talking and Gin grabs his speech bubble and beats him with it while shinpachi yells "How are they going to do this in the anime!?"
I've been following the manga for so long it would be weird to see it as an anime
Do you know if the anime follows all of the same stories as the manga? what part are you at?

gCrusher

Mar 17, 2011
Elfen Leid. Hellsing is a close second. I constantly recommend Cowboy Bebop and Trigun, since just about anyone would dig those.

I also like Pretty Soldier Sailormoon. Back when I was younger, it was either that or DBZ, and Sailor Moon came on each morning, weekdays. With Dragonball Z, my buddies had to wait until the weekend, and watch as the Z squad grunted and postured, getting nothing done for several shows.

RazzleDazzle102

Mar 14, 2011
the one that doesn't suck! and the one that doesn't attract all the weird kids to its series... guess that means all of you weirdo's
(Full Metal Panic!!!!!!!!!!)

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
RollForInitiative said:
Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni / Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai. No questions asked.
Also add in 'Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei'. I'm tempted to say that between the three series are the best ~28-32 episodes of anime I'v seen in the last 10 years. Unfortunately the series totals in at 45 episodes and IMO a lot of the second season (series?) undermines the tension of the first season as stuff stops being scary and/or creepy the more detailed an explanation we get for why it's happening. That said I'd still second your emphatic recommendation.

I also don't see enough shoutouts for Ergo Proxy.

Krinku

Feb 5, 2011
ThingWhatSqueaks said:
RollForInitiative said:
Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni / Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai. No questions asked.
Also add in 'Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei'. I'm tempted to say that between the three series are the best ~28-32 episodes of anime I'v seen in the last 10 years. Unfortunately the series totals in at 45 episodes and IMO a lot of the second season (series?) undermines the tension of the first season as stuff stops being scary and/or creepy the more detailed an explanation we get for why it's happening. That said I'd still second your emphatic recommendation.

I also don't see enough shoutouts for Ergo Proxy.
Well that is the whole point of the second season(explaining the events of the 1st season).

Ergo Proxy is frikkin' sick though@_@

dimensional

Jun 13, 2011
If we are talking series I would go with K-ON absolutely love it (which surprised me usually prefer series with a bit more action and/or strong story)

For films though im not sure Barefoot Gen maybe or 5 cm per second perhaps.

Amberella

Super Sailor Moon
Jan 23, 2010
dimensional said:
If we are talking series I would go with K-ON absolutely love it (which surprised me usually prefer series with a bit more action and/or strong story)

For films though im not sure Barefoot Gen maybe or 5 cm per second perhaps.
Awesome! :3 And I also love your avatar!

Norendithas

Oct 13, 2009
BottleOfAwesome said:
Norendithas said:
LFC Scouser said:
Code Geass hands down

I heard that r3 has not sure if spoiler but whatever
new main character with a different geass
Agreed. Code Geass was amazing. Only anime that truly ever got to me. ^^

I also heard about R3.

I heard that Lelouch wasn't going to be in R3 as well. I also heard it was going to take place in a different place during the same time as the last two seasons. I might give it a watch, but I can't imagine it'd be as good without Lelouch. =[
I've read that too, I also read that it is also going to be set
Before LeLouch's time, CC will still be there but there will be a new main character with her
That would be interesting,

especially because there's not much fighting after the end of R2, I'd imagine. So the past might be better for action. Hopefully it's not Mao or someone like him. He's a bit.. Crazy.

AlexanderPeregrine

Nov 19, 2009
A couple people mentioned it already, but Puella Magi Madoka Magica is incredible and your life is not complete until you've seen it.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
DSK- said:
DSK- said:
OT: Gintama. It is simply amazing and everyone should watch it.
I read the manga religiously (my favorite manga of all time) but haven't gotten to the anime.
I haven't read the manga, although in my opinion it would completely ruin the experience for me because the voice talent for all of the characters is amazing. Also I don't want to spoil the various story arcs that are going to happen :)
actually most of the reason i don't watch the anime is because i feel that it would ruin my mind's interpretation of the characters voices. Plus in the manga they enjoy breaking the fourth wall. One time this guy is talking and Gin grabs his speech bubble and beats him with it while shinpachi yells "How are they going to do this in the anime!?"
I've been following the manga for so long it would be weird to see it as an anime
Do you know if the anime follows all of the same stories as the manga? what part are you at?
Oh they break the fourth wall all the time in the anime.
All the characters are fully aware that they are an anime: they mention being moved from golden time, Hideaki Sorachi actually getting KILLED by a character who jumps out of the frame of the screen to kill him!, making references to a character's voice actor work, Shinpachi bringing down one of the multi-coloured screens (when things aren't viewer friendly) at one point, Shinpachi making comments about ripping off from other anime and how the producers of the show will react when they do. At one point in a court hearing a previous episode is actually played as evidence in the case...

Too many examples to mention. I don't even consider the anime to have a fourth wall :D

At the moment the anime has just literally finished the Otose arc with Jirocho. I think the next episode will be when Takasugi meets Kamui. Not sure. Should be awesome that's for sure :D

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
ZiggyE said:
Mikeyfell said:
I have a problem with this sentiment and I always have. If Clannad was never supposed to be a tragedy the writers are very bad at their job. People saying that holds just about as much credibility as someone saying Human Centipede is supposed to be a feel good comedy.
Translation: It didn't turn out the way I expected and/or wanted it to thus the writers are bad.

Does not compute, sorry.

The ending has nothing to do with it. If you sit down with the intention to wright something that is not a tragedy and end up with Clannad (minus the last episode) you simply do not know what the word "Tragedy" means. They got sad down to a science and beat it into us (Me only, apparently) relentlessly. There is no way that that was anything but tragic.

Yes Clannad is not an archetypical tragedy. that's why it's so good. But if you're trying to convince me Clannad isn't a tragedy why not also try and convince me that Star Wars isn't a SiFi film.
If something isn't an archetypical tragedy then it isn't a tragedy at all. Somethings need to be there for it to be a part of the genre. Clannad lacks most, if not all of these things. You're confusing archetypical with stereotypical.
^^

I never actually read the Manga, so let me get this strait. Those episodes are actually canonical in the Manga? There is actually part of the main story where he falls for Kyou and Tomoyo? I never got that impression from watching the series.
The manga is irrelevant. The source material for Clannad is the Visual Novel, which is different from the manga. But yes, the Kyou and Tomoyo arcs are canon in the visual novel, as are all the other heroine arcs which are seperate from Nagisa's arc (most of which are included as part of Nagisa's arc, minus the romance for obvious reasons, in the anime). These are allowed to be canon as both the anime and the Visual Novel explain the concept of Multiple Worlds. Each individual heroine arc allows Tomoya to collect an additional light orb and the Visual Novel cannot be completed until all of them have been achieved which allows you to unlock the True End. [/quote]

Anyway this is the interesting part
The Clannad Visual Novels, which are not mangas, have multiple alternate timelines running simultaneously? That actually sounds pretty cool. It's a shame that that was never mentioned in the Anime series which is what I watched and am talking about. So it's not poorly written it's just poorly adapted, which makes a lot of sense because adaptations rarely ever turn out good.

but now do me a favor and step out of your little bubble where you have read the visual novels and can't function with out happy endings, and try to look at the last episodes from an outsiders perspective. Does that ending not seem out of place in a story like that.
This guy marries his sickly highschool sweetheart and ends up killing her in the act of creating a child that he doesn't know what to do with. All the while he's the only one that's standing in the way of his own happiness while everyone around him wants him to succeed. He finally gives in and accepts happiness just in time for karma to drive the final nail into the coffin of misery that he's been creating around himself and then -Click- happily ever after. What? where did that come from? It was such a jarring emotional neutralizer that, like flipping a switch, snapped me out of 6 hours of weeping into wracking my brain trying to figure out why that made any fucking sense.

I do have to admit that if I saw that end coming I wouldn't have been half as emotionally invested in the last part of After Story. So I doubt that I would like the visual novels anywhere near as much as I liked the first 48 episodes of the Anime.

Devornine

Apr 14, 2009
Amberella said:
Devornine said:

This was what got me into anime! And it will always have a place in my heart! A new favorite of mine is

Brotherhood kicks the original anime's ass!
Wonderful picks. :) I loved Cardcaptors as well! And Brotherhood is amazing so far!!!! Haven't finished Brotherhood just yet though. :3 But soon I will!
I know! I can't wait to finish Brotherhood too!I am glad someone else shares my CCS love!