What is your 'deepest' gaming moment?

Atlys

is best pony
Mar 3, 2011
I have a few powerful, in-my-character's-shoes moments, but my most recent one happened in Guild Wars 2.

When I joined the Durmand Priory I was placed under the tutelage of Magister Sieran. She is a Sylvari, a plant like race that dwells in Tyria. When I first met her I didn't really care for her recklessness and chipper attitude. After a few close calls (most of which were caused by her) I began to grow to like Sieran. She could always be trusted to be at my side and we always got out of trouble. I rose through the ranks of the Priory with her at my side until the day I finally became a Magister myself. She was so happy for me and we continued to travel together as equals.

Then came the time for us to warn the watch in Lions Arch about in impending Risen attack. As we were speaking to the commander, the undead came in droves from a ship at sea. Sieran and I fought our way through the courtyard with the army of Lions Arch trying to hold their ground. We fired a trebuchet into the ship and sunk it. Before we could celebrate, a dozen more ships of undead rose out of the sea.

Sieran and I ran back to the commander while the wounded army tried to hold back the Risen. As we were talking to the commander he was shot and fatally wounded. He sent his second-in-command to bring word of the isle's fall to Lions Arch. We had to get the remaining soldiers onto ships and sail back to the city, but the only way to do that was for someone to fight off the Risen to buy the soldiers time. We all knew it was a suicide mission, but Sieran volunteered to stay behind. She said that she was always getting into trouble anyway and that death would just be another adventure. The last I saw of her was the gates of the courtyard closing behind her as she was surrounded by the Risen.

If I had been alone in the room I would probably have had myself a good cry.

I had to hunt down the Spirit who controlled the Risen that attacked Lions Arch. I was still in awe at losing Sieran. I had grown to like her as a person, as a friend. Even typing this story brings back those feelings of loss like very few video games I have played before.

So I fight through droves of the undead searching for their master when he finally appears. He looked like a formidable opponent, but all I could think of was the fact that he had just killed my friend. I chopped away at his health not caring about my own. As his HP bar closed in on the last few hits he said something along the lines of "Ahh yes hero, I know your name well. It was the last thing that plant-girl screamed before she died." After hearing that I felt immense rage and yelled "F**K YOU!" as I delivered the final blow. (That part kind of freaked out my friends as I had headphones on and had no idea what was going on in game)

That moment in GW2 was unlike any I had experienced in a long while. I couldn't stop thinking about it at work the next day and it was hard to explain to my friends who were in the room while it happened. I still think about that character and they are my driving force to finishing Guild Wars 2.

Hemlet

Jul 31, 2009
Bastion is the one that springs to mind, that one part right near the end.

"Our little Squirt, he didn't make it." Uhh...what? Wanna run that by me again chief? "Our little Pecker, he didn't make it." Oh... oh you fucking didn't... -finishes the segment-. You did. You DID. YOU SHIT BAGS. THAT'S IT! MORTAR AND FLAMETHROWER MOTHERFUCKERS! EVERYONE DIES!

Yup, it was "ruin everyone's day mode" from that point until the end of the game.

Ygdrasel

Sep 13, 2012
Katawa Shoujo. Dear god, Katawa Shoujo. The ending on my second playthrough (the first was the manly picnic) sent me plummeting into deep introspection which led to the first true peace of mind I've had in all my life...Peace of mind that was promptly torn asunder as I continued to play, piecing together bits of myself from the various characters and ultimately ending up in a state of depressive apathy as years of failure (both mine and that of peers) and nearly two decades (I'm 21 as I type this, 22 in April 2013) of unresolved, bottled, piled up, and generally all-around repressed trauma and damage came bubbling to the surface, years of wounds and scars unwillingly torn open and exposed to bleed out more each time I played the game.

This game destroyed me in many ways, but left a clear path forward that I couldn't ever find before. I haven't fully recovered but I am looking into seeing a psychologist to help sort through all of this repressed baggage.

(Sidenote: I suffer both physical and mental disabilities [cerebral palsy and autism, respectively] which may explain the massive effect this title had...But it seems to have similar effects on non-defectives too, so maybe that doesn't explain much at all.)

Durzo_Blint

Apr 7, 2011
Uncharted 3: Drake's Fortune, the bit near the end where
Sully is shot
and I was so overcome with rage and anguish and loss, I tried to kill all the genies barehanded since bullets' wouldn't satisfy my bloodlust.

Most immersed I've ever been in any form of media, the moment that elevated Uncharted miles above anything else I'd seen, played or read.

Ygdrasel

Sep 13, 2012
My ending to Heavy Rain was crazy depressing.

First, Ethan was arrested. Normally, Jayden breaks him out of jail, but Jayden was killed during his investigation (my bad). Paige jumped to her death out of a burning apartment window (I thought she'd make it). That leaves Ethan alone to stop the killer...But wait. Ethan's in jail. So nobody saves Shaun. He drowns. And Ethan? Hanged himself in his jail cell after losing his damn mind and folding a ton of origami figures.

The only thing that redeemed this ending was the last scene. Shelby's walking along enjoying an outdoor stroll when Lauren shows up, confronts him with evidence she found, then shoots him dead.

Salomega

Nov 15, 2011
I'll probably get some Flak for this but...the part in Dragon Age 2 where /spoilers Hawke's mother gets taken by Quintus, the blood mage, and you find out no matter how fast or hard you worked to find her it was all for naught and she was already chopped up and stitched back together with parts from other women like some Frankenstein's monster. I could not hit that attack button hard enough, I ignored the demons whenever Quintus' shield was down just so I could make sure he died as hard as possible.

Then afterwards, the magic breaks and you get one last moment with Hawke's mother before she passes away.../spoiler

That was truely heart breaking for me.=-(

Rook

Oct 11, 2008
I'm surprised no one's mentioned Enslaved. That game was all about story!

Whenever Trip was in danger I dropped everything and ran towards her. Or in particular(SPOILER) when you reach her home town and get separated, and then the Mechs show up. I found myself running full speed through that part, trying my best to get to her as fast as I possibly could, ignoring what enemies I could.

VaughanyT

May 30, 2008
The only game series that has kept me involved from minute one to the very end has been Mass Effect mainly because of the fact you can carry over your saves from each game so you're crafting this story over three entire games ending....well the ending is another topic altogether and has been talked about enough. Anyway, I can name one from each game:

Mass Effect 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMRi8tYYnEs
This narrowly beats out leaving one of your original squadmates to die because you can actually save Wrex, but if you screw it up, stupid Ashley shoots him and you have to deal with the idiot who becomes the leader of Clan Urdnot. Plus, you are trying to convince someone that it would be better to destroy his peoples' one chance for survival for the good of the mission! Good luck!

Mass Effect 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ezih2ausUA4
Now, I think Garrus is the best squadmate by far; he's funny, gets the best development of any other squadmate and is just so damn cool with that sniper rifle. However, through 1, you get the sense that he might become a simple killer if given the chance. He wants to go around protocol to get the bad guys and this mission gives you the chance to make him see that not all problems can be solved with a headshot...just most of them.

Mass Effect 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBQHpYP8ivU
Holy crap did this take me by surprise. Yeah, I know it was overpriced for what you got in the end, but the Leviathan DLC was the most important storyline for the franchises' overall lore. I mean, you meet the ones responsible for creating the Reapers! It does not get bigger than that. What's more, you convince these ageless beings that you are their best hope for survival...no pressure then.

That about covers it.