What is your faovrite game soundtrack?

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Probably Halo 3. Finish the Fight always stands out to me. The entire series has a very memorable score, except 4, fuck 4. I thought 3 sounded the most epic.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
I'm not sure I have an overall favorite. That said, there are a couple that I'll occasionally listen to even when I'm not playing the games... so I guess that's good enough?

No particular order...
1. Deus Ex (PC, 2000)
2. System Shock 2 (PC, 1999)
3. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (SNES, 1995)
4. U.N. Squadron (SNES, 1991)
5. Perfect Dark (N64, 2000)
6. Mass Effect (PC, 2008) / Mass Effect 2 (PC, 2010) / Mass Effect 3 (PC, 2012)

This is probably kinda cheating... but also Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, technically, since I listen to a ton of 80's music just in general.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013

Some close runner-ups would be Super Mario Galaxy, Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault, and any of The Legend of Zelda soundtracks.

As far as individual songs go, I have to with the original Call of Duty's Pegasus Day Theme [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0ZlMXkzUqI]. Despite my love for the series in general, that song single-handedly has kept the Pegasus Day level as the most memorable moment in the series for me and among my most memorable moments in gaming.

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
That's a tough call. Would probably put either Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines or Mass Effect 1 forward as my choice as they both, in addition to having phenomenal ambient music, introduced me to new bands via their soundtrack. Chiasm and The Faunts respectively for those wondering.

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
Final Fantasy VI. I don't think this one needs much explanation. Nobuo Uematsu's finest work. It's got pretty much everything from the light-hearted to the dark, from the intense to the ambient. Good shit all around.

Seriously, check it out.

Aug 31, 2012
I'll have to go with Wipeout's soundtrack. Nothing says mid 90's "dance music" like wipEout.

Close behind comes ridge racer/revolution.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
The Donkey Kong Country games from the SNES era have a very good soundtrack by David Wise. I can't possibly imagine playing the games without the music. A lot of soundtracks come across as companion pieces, but these are an integral part of the experience.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
4 come to mind immediately for me.

Even though it only had a handful of songs (since there was no in-game music) Myth: The Fallen Lords had an incredible soundtrack.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution (Michael McCann is awesome).

Planescape: Torment. "Hauntingly beautiful" is the description that comes to mind for me with the songs, even though they are very short and just loop a lot.

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver. Totally epic and bad-ass soundtrack, fit incredibly well with the "dark, epic, gothic' feel of the game.

Honorable mention goes to Castlevania, Lords of Shadow, and to Crysis 2 (Hans Zimmer FTW).

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
My faovrite soundtrack? Probably Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, for its sheer casplorkiness. But seriously...I'd have to make separate decisions based on emotional appeal and sheer quality.

For quality, the Baten Kaitos games. There's a reason I almost worship Motoi Sakuraba.

For emotional appeal, probably A Drug That Makes You Dream. It's short and relatively simple, but the music tracks match the scene emotions better than any other visual novel I've played.

the_great_cessation

Nov 29, 2011
I find myself drawn to a lot of Rockstar soundtracks. Most notably Red Dead Redemption, L.A. Noire and Max Payne 3. All three had excellent and diverse soundtracks which suited the atmosphere of their respective titles perfectly (I'm especially fond of Max Payne 3's OST - being a fan of HEALTH going into the game). There is a moment when you start your first case on Traffic (I believe, it has been awhile) where it is raining the score is this brooding, moody saxophone melody. It was one of the most beautifully cinematic moments I have experienced in a game. The track is linked in the spoiler tag below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylisFdRAoEs&index=2&list=PLC3B9E742A400E5A1

Likewise, I adore the soundtrack to Shadow of the Colossus. It's grand. sweeping and theatric and makes the core gameplay all that more memorable and exhilarating. In fact, it's the only game soundtrack I have on my phone and listen in rotation with the rest of my music.

Off the top of my head, twelve soundtracks I'd instantly recommend would be:

1. Shadow of the Colossus
2. The Last of Us
3. LA Noire
4. Max Payne 3
5. Red Dead Redemption
6. Proteus (mainly when paired with the game itself)
7. Bastion
8. Okami
9. Jet Set Radio
10. Rayman Legends
11. The Witcher II
12. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Overall, something in the Castlevania series. I'd say probably either Super Castlevania 4 or Dracula X. Final Fantasy 4 also has a soundtrack with pretty much no misses.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Cave Story, Kid Icarus Uprising, Shadow of the Colossus, Gravity Rush, and Ghost Trick all spring to mind. I love these games and their soundtracks <3

willer357

Dec 22, 2008
Probably a three way tie between Skullgirls, Dear Esther, and all of Valves' games. Portal's Self Esteem Fund was a hit on me from the very first time I ever heard it.

Chasing-The-Light

Jul 16, 2011
I can't just pick one favorite... but definitely the Assassin Creed soundtracks from the first game up to Revelations. Jesper Kyd's work is amazing on those soundtracks. I also really enjoy Jeremy Soule's work for The Elder Scrolls games.

The Sanctifier

Nov 26, 2012
Theme From Battlefield 1942. Can never get enough of listening to that. Morrowind's theme was also stunningly beautiful.

These are my two favorites but an honorable mention also goes to Beginning 2 by C418, one of the intro's for Minecraft.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
<spoiler=Silent Hill 3><youtube=K1DjgY6WrqY>

I've not encountered a more moody and dark soundtrack that fit the action perfectly than that. Not even Silent Hill 2 (which was much brighter, musically).

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Not sure I can pick a favorite but I know what one of my favorites is.....Sonic Adventure 2 Battle........*builds gigantic steel castle, digs hole 10 stories down, build super reinforced bunker, activates Fort Knox level security, puts on pit helmet, takes cover with Ak-47 behind a barrier of sand bags, posts small sign on front of door saying "Come at me."*

INVALIDUSERNAME

May 23, 2012
Off the top of my head?

PAYDAY 2 probably has the single most ass-kickenest soundtrack I've listened to in a while. It's especially recommendable now that Simon Viklund, their lead composer, tends to release new songs with most new releases meaning the thing gets constantly updated with masterpieces like Wanted Dead or Alive up there.