What is your favorite movie ever?

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
My all time 2nd favorite movie is Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back. That was my favorite for decades. Then, we got The Dark Knight.
It is just heads and shoulders better than any other movie I've ever seen, hitting my sweet spot for topics I adore. I try to watch my favorite parts and a dozen years later, I find myself re-watching the entire movie.
What is your all time favorite movie? It may not be the best movie from subjective perspectives but they are yours. The movie you love more than any other. What is it?

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Several:

Dark City - Make sure it's the directors cut. You will thank me. Do not watch the theatrical cut, it spoils the movie in the first 5 minutes.

Princess Mononoke

Redline

The Thing (1982) - Best sci-fi horror film ever made.

The Raid 2 - Nothing can top the action in this martial arts film aside from maybe the Protector.

Blade Runner 2049

The Dark Knight

Last edited:

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (extended)

That's arguably a cop-out, in that it's not a single movie, and it's contingent on the extended editions, but, meh. I'm still listing it.

Reactions: gorfias

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
The best movie of all-time just has to be the movie where Batman and Wolverine battle it out in the world's deadliest game..... MAGIC. Oh, and there's a love triangle involving Black Widow. If you think this can't get any better, one of our combatants visits a motherfucking WIZARD played by David "motherfucking" Bowie asking if he can make him a hero, just for one day.

The movie is The Prestige

And my signature is from the movie.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
My top 3 is..

1) Ghostbusters
2) Back to the Future
3) Coming to America

I don't considering these the best movies ever made, just the ones that make me the happiest out of any movie out there.

Runners up would be My Neighbor Totoro, and The Incredibles.

Ghostrick Dorklord

Ordinary High School Girl
Legacy
Oct 2, 2009
Through the Looking Glass
Country
Wonderland
I've been thinking about it and I think its The Thing (1982)

Like I love the tension the alien being causes and I really love the special effects that I think still hold up to this day. I just remember the incomprehensible horror so fondly that it makes me think all the time about it.

Its either that or Kamikaze Girls for being that wacky Japanese film.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Chicken Run.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I don't really rank the stuff I like against each other but if I had to think some stand outs would be:

12 Monkeys

Fargo

Drive

In the Mouth of Madness

Hellraiser

And yeah like every other dork here Blade Runner also has a special place in there.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
I don't know. Think something's broken inside. Can't enjoy anything for some while now. Can't remember enjoying anything until seeing the title and something weird, distant stirs in abstract memory. Like The Prestige and other Nolan mentions include non-negative memories. Unless by proxy kind of, if someone in the vicinity appears to like a thing, there's a feeling of relief they're having a good time. Would honestly take anything at this point just to feel something other than fear, misery and self-loathing as it's spilling out onto people around which makes this existence pretty literally toxic and entirely against all inner morals. Trying now to think of a favourite or anything positive just leads to blankness, but really need to be positive or at least able to pretend enough to not drag others down, including any online interaction. Will return if thoughts become clearer and easier to manage in future, and sorry if anyone's been affected, offended or such by previous negative waffle.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Spy Game. Robert Redford trying to outsmart his bosses at the CIA to help his captured friend Brad Pitt in a classic Cold War espionage setting.
Kicking soundtrack too

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
The best movie of all-time just has to be the movie where Batman and Wolverine battle it out in the world's deadliest game..... MAGIC. Oh, and there's a love triangle involving Black Widow. If you think this can't get any better, one of our combatants visits a motherfucking WIZARD played by David "motherfucking" Bowie asking if he can make him a hero, just for one day.

The movie is The Prestige

And my signature is from the movie.
But this time, Alfred works for Wolverine! Bought this on Bluray. Chris Nolan is way up there on my list of favorite directors and even has writing creds including "Following" (1998). Shares writing credentials with brother Jonathan Nolan who has a pretty impressive track record himself with Memento, The Dark Knight, Interstellar and The Prestige.

My wife has shpilkes and it is almost impossible to get her to sit down and watch something. Well, I managed it. While I've already seen and loved the 1st 3 seasons of the TV show Fargo, I'm rewatching with her on Hulu. I'm enjoying round 2. The show is just fantastic with similar tactics to American Horror story. A new story with different characters in different times each year. A 4th is coming.... ooooooo, or is already started with 1st episode in post production starring Chris Rock! https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8052820/?ref_=ttep_ep1

Last edited:

zoey

Dec 21, 2016
I have enjoyed Back to the Future. I can never have one movie as numero uno. It's always 3-4 of them.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I have a soft spot for Aliens. Even after having watched it so many times, it never gets old. The action still exciting. The tension high. The characters and locations memorable. The superquotable oneliners never cheesy.

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (extended)

That's arguably a cop-out, in that it's not a single movie, and it's contingent on the extended editions, but, meh. I'm still listing it.
I recently rewatched the extended LotR trilogy, after having also previously watched the extended Hobbit trilogy not too long ago. And, just wow. I mean I knew LotR is the better trilogy, but this really drove home how stark the contrast is, how large the gap in overal quality between them, despite both being made by largely the same creative team (though from what I remember from the production, it's by no means entirely on them).