What is your favorite movie ever?

faeyr

Escapist +
Apr 10, 2020
Ottawa
Country
Canada
I genuinely like that film, and really don't understand the hate behind it. The reaction to that film, and then the counter reaction to the followup Superman films and how they were a reaction to that criticism, and how the fans hated what MoS and BvS did to Superman, make me feel that Superman Returns is a prime example of (Fans don't know what they actually want) trope, though trope is probably the wrong word. It felt very Superman-esque to me, had a nice balance of hero stuff, and societal impact stuff that is often a component of superman stories. The cast was good, the visuals were good, it was funny and campy, but also serious when it needed to be.

Yeah, it's a good film, period.

Ah yes, damn I love that film. So good for so many reasons. Egg Shen was the inspiration for a Changeling character I played in an old World of Darkness Changeling setting, and damn I enjoyed him. :D
Egg Shen in the World of Darkness is a great idea!

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Egg Shen in the World of Darkness is a great idea!
He was so much fun. I had him as an alchemist/fey magic guy, so he was all about cooking up bubbling/smoking drinks for his allies to drink down for buffs in combat. Sadly he didn't last long, as that site had something of a dramatic meltdown of membership/moderators. But his concept was super fun.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Well I can safely say Robocop 1984 is up there when it comes to Sci Fi movies.
Yeah, that ending scene in the boardroom, gets me every time. I loved how elegantly simple that resolution was. Even as a kid watching that I was like "Just fire him! Then he's not an officer of the company!" And the Old Man said it, and I watched that Directive fizzle away, I remember giggling as a kid and fist pumping that I'd called it.

OT: Thinking back, I honestly love the orignal Dune film by David Lynch. I saw that as a kid, and it REALLY molded my brain as far as certain interests and desires. It pretty much set in iron, my attraction to brunette/dark haired women. Between the stunning Francessca Annis as Lady Jessica, and Sean Young as Chani, with those incredibly stunning eyes (not just due to their glowing blue, but Francessca just had stunning eyes anyway), that pretty much was where I first started to realize what my sexual attractions were. And it was firmly in the camp of confident, strong, brunette women, with eyes that could stun a room.
Plus I just loved the music of it, and the whole Sound as Thought, thus giving Thought Form, philosophy was really impactful to me as a kid. I was never really religious growing up, but the closest I had to a personal spiritual belief was sort of a hybrid of the Force, and the Weirding Way, for a LONG time. I appreciate the film has a lot of flaws, from a structural standpoint, but frankly I don't care. For what it was, it worked like gangbusters on young Happyninja42's brain, and I will always love it for that.

Return of the Jedi is another one, mainly due to me seeing it as a kid in the theaters, and how it hit my little kid brain. I could go into detail, but sadly I'm out of time for now.

Reactions: gorfias

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Well, the best movie I've ever seen is Dr. Strangelove. But favorite... Maybe Strange Days. Best off-the-wall crazy pick... something like Bubba Ho-Tep or Pontypool.
Fun review of Bubba Ho-Tep by Roger Ebert:
""Bubba Ho-Tep" wants to be a good movie about Elvis, JFK and the Soul Sucker. It doesn't sneer, it's not about cheap shots, it is perfectly sincere.

You never catch Campbell or Davis winking at the audience or patronizing the material. They approach their characters with all the curiosity and respect they'd deserve in a serious film. "

Reactions: happyninja42

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Fun review of Bubba Ho-Tep by Roger Ebert:
""Bubba Ho-Tep" wants to be a good movie about Elvis, JFK and the Soul Sucker. It doesn't sneer, it's not about cheap shots, it is perfectly sincere.

You never catch Campbell or Davis winking at the audience or patronizing the material. They approach their characters with all the curiosity and respect they'd deserve in a serious film. "
Oh man I love Bubba-Hotep. I genuinely get choked up at the end. It's the perfect combination of silly as hell, and genuinely disturbing considering the selection of victims and their limitations. Also I think they did a really good job conveying the idea of a man (crazy or not), looking back over his life, and having regrets about the choices he made, and didn't make. The fact that it's through the lens of Bruce Campbell as Elvis Presley, is just icing on the cake.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Oh man I love Bubba-Hotep. I genuinely get choked up at the end. It's the perfect combination of silly as hell, and genuinely disturbing considering the selection of victims and their limitations. Also I think they did a really good job conveying the idea of a man (crazy or not), looking back over his life, and having regrets about the choices he made, and didn't make. The fact that it's through the lens of Bruce Campbell as Elvis Presley, is just icing on the cake.
And my favorite thing about Bubba Ho-Tep is it led me to finding the further works of its writer Joe R. Lansdale. Whether in comics (Batman/Jonah Hex,) books (Hap and Leonard, The Bottoms, short story collections like the one Bubba Ho-Tep is in,) or television (Hap and Leonard, Incident On and Off a Mountain Road) I have found I like pretty much anything he writes.