What is Your Favorite: Savory Snack From a Country You're Not From?

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
DarthCoercis said:
American Pringles. The number of flavours you lot have is amazing. Down here we've got 6 or 7 flavours.
I would trade all of the flavors of Pringles in the United States for all of the flavors of Kit Kat in Japan...but those are sweet and not savory.

My first instinct is to say the Wonka Bar, which is a chocolate bar on top of a graham cracker. Yes, we had it in the US but it doesn't exist here anymore and I refuse to believe it's gone everywhere. It's simple, it's sweet but the graham cracker gives it something more and dammit, it's really good. As for things that I know about existing...uh...

Saelune said:
Pretzels. Also French fries, cause wherever they are from, it isn't the US, so it counts.
I'm stealing yours...soft pretzels and french fries.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Shoggoth2588 said:
Saelune said:
Pretzels. Also French fries, cause wherever they are from, it isn't the US, so it counts.
Steal? Psh. Pretzels and French Fries for everyone!

Einspanner

Mar 6, 2016
Saelune said:
Shoggoth2588 said:
Saelune said:
Steal? Psh. Pretzels and French Fries for everyone!
Speaking of pretzels... I just got a bag of milk chocolate covered pretzel bits from Lindt, and... I'm in trouble. Deep trouble.

When you hear, in the world's press, about a man found dead, exploded from the inside out with delicious candy... remember me?

Dornedas said:
I'm a German and that means that I'm legally obliged to hate the Dutch. Bunch of bicycle riding cheeseheads.

But their food is so much better than ours.

Frikandellen, Vla and most of all:

I don't normally like peppermints but they are just so damn good.

How are you supposed to hate a country if everything they make is delicious?
Stroopwaffel! Don't forget that. And their panekoeken... oh god yes.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Caprese and olive oil bread

On the sweet side, black-hole darkness level of swiss chocolate. Or Jones soda.

Why yes there's a lot of Italian and German in the family. How do you know?

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
B?rek [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%B6rek], which is a type of hearthy pastry filled with cheese, veggies and/or meat commonly available in the Balkans, Turkey and other countries that were once part of the Ottoman Empire. I discovered it a few years ago when I visited some friends on Macedonia. Instantly fell in love with it. A great snack for when you're having a night out. Even better when you drink some yoghurt with it.
Einspanner said:
I think fries are originally Dutch, or Belgian... I'm not sure which. One of them (again, no recollection as to which) basically came up with the modern idea of a twice-fried one or two bite potato stick, served as a side or to-go, with some kind of dipping sauce.

And may god bless their tiny giblets for it.
They either originated in Belgium or France, or possibly even Spain, since that is the country that first introduced potatos to Europe. The origins of fries aren't particularly well-documented. However, it is fact that French fries are pretty much THE national snack of Belgium and we generally consider ourselves the masters of the art.

So, supposing we did invent them: you're welcome.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Classic Bon O'Bon

All my life I thought it was from Brasil, but it turns out is Argentinian...

Einspanner

Mar 6, 2016
Chimpzy said:
B?rek [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%B6rek], which is a type of hearthy pastry filled with cheese, veggies and/or meat commonly available in the Balkans, Turkey and other countries that were once part of the Ottoman Empire. I discovered it a few years ago when I visited some friends on Macedonia. Instantly fell in love with it. A great snack for when you're having a night out. Even better when you drink some yoghurt with it.
Einspanner said:
I think fries are originally Dutch, or Belgian... I'm not sure which. One of them (again, no recollection as to which) basically came up with the modern idea of a twice-fried one or two bite potato stick, served as a side or to-go, with some kind of dipping sauce.

And may god bless their tiny giblets for it.
They either originated in Belgium or France, or possibly even Spain, since that is the country that first introduced potatos to Europe. The origins of fries aren't particularly well-documented. However, it is fact that French fries are pretty much THE national snack of Belgium and we generally consider ourselves the masters of the art.

So, supposing we did invent them: you're welcome.
I'm willing to sincerely thank you and your ancestors back into time immemorial on the basis that they might have invented them. They are that good.

OT: I just realized how much I like dulce de leche.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Einspanner said:
I'm willing to sincerely thank you and your ancestors back into time immemorial on the basis that they might have invented them. They are that good.
Truth be told, I'm not ethnically Belgian. I've just been living here long enough that I identify more as Belgian than my original nationality. But I'll be sure to pass along the compliment to anyone who does fit the bill.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Oh, I like those little rice snack things. Bombay mix is pretty nice, too. But my favourite would have to be...

[HEADING=2]Tootsie Rolls![/HEADING]

Chinese supermarkets are probably the biggest treasure troves, though.

Einspanner

Mar 6, 2016
Barbas said:
Oh, I like those little rice snack things. Bombay mix is pretty nice, too. But my favourite would have to be...

[HEADING=2]Tootsie Rolls![/HEADING]

Chinese supermarkets are probably the biggest treasure troves, though.
It's a bit of a pick n' mix, choose your own adventure, but not a bad one. I had something called "Haw Flakes" once, that was sort of like fruit leather. Very nice, but I'm still not 100% sure what it actually was.