What is your favorite "Unknown" game?

Okuu_Fusion

Jul 14, 2010
The Touhou Series...

Part of the Bullet Hell genre of games... Very fun and difficult...

I personally don't know anyone who has ever heard of it before...

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
a) How does this favorite "unknown" game thread differ from the favorite "obscure" game thread?
b) By what standard are we using to say a game is "unknown"? Seeing as though this is a website for gamers, I'd assume that the majority would be at least aware of most good games, regardless of whether the outside population was aware of their existence.

OT: Etrain Odyssey 1, 2, and 3. If you own a DS and haven't played these throwbacks to classic RPG dungeon crawls, shame on you.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
madwarper said:
a) How does this favorite "unknown" game thread differ from the favorite "obscure" game thread?
I was thinking the same, but, IIRC, the "obscure" thread was for games, plural, while this "unknown" thread is for game, singular.

But, yeah, same answer about Spiderweb games.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
If this were any other forum I would say "Amnesia: The Dark Descent."

However, that recieves quite a lot of attention hereabouts.

So I got nothin'.

ToxicSpill

Nov 16, 2010
Unknown...hmm...Infinite Undiscovery?
It's the only JRPG I've ever finished because I actually cared about it.

Actually... it's the only JRPG I've EVER finished. I really like that game.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
phantom crash for the regular x-box.(theres also etheir the same game or a simmular game on ps2 under a different name)

BoredDragon

Feb 9, 2011
Cthulu Saves the World is definitely one you should try. I'm not really one for turn-based rpg's but I really liked this one because I appreciate a game that has a sense of humor. This game had me laughing the moment I started the campaign and title alone made me go "lol wtf?".

I think you can still get it on xbox live indie section.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Urban Chaos Riot Response. Never have I felt so FUCKING BADASS being a good guy. And your main asset is a shield no less.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Doctor Steel said:
Look up Mount and blade: Warband.

One of my all-time favorites. Made by two people, is what really surprised me, though.

Oh, theres a demo too
I was playing that not 10 minutes ago- getting my head sliced open as usual...

EGtodd09

Oct 20, 2010
The "Croc" games, Whacky Wheels, Microsoft Monster Trucks and Midtown Madness, The Haunted (a mod for Unreal Tournament 3, anyone with the game should REALLY get this mod, its amazing), Freelancer and Crimsonland. I know some of these games are reasonably well known, but you should still check them out.

omegawyrm

Nov 23, 2009
Own a DS? I'd really recommend either Elite Beat Agents or The World Ends With You if so. I've seen tons of Wal Marts and GameStops that have EBA sadly on sale for 5 dollars, so that's an easy one to get. Also, the Trauma Center games are fun and cheap, both on Wii and DS.

Censorme

Nov 19, 2009
Sea Dogs/Pirates of the Carribean.
BEST. PIRATE GAME. EVER.

Sid Miers can go suck a lemon.

YT

Jul 21, 2010
Star Wars: Republic Commando for either PC or Xbox. I don't know if that's obscure enough but I feel it deserves more attention. Good AI, easy to control but complex enough squad tactics and on the harder difficulty, a real challenge. Check it out

Oneirius

Apr 21, 2009
Rise of Legends.
Nobody plays that anymore, and it's not like many people ever really did.
Also, too bad that the game was so rushed to release. Judging by concept art and conversations with the developers, it seems that a fucking quarter of the game was cut so it can be finished sooner. One of four unique factions, one of four campaigns, one of four sets of multiplayer maps.
The game world is incredibly imaginative, and it's really a pity we can only see three fourths of it.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Chase the Express for PS1 (Also known as Covert Ops: Nuclear Dawn in America)

It had terrible graphics (EDIT: Actually, looking back, they wern't that bad!) the voice acting was horrendous and the gameplay was essentially ripped right from Resident Evil. Plus the controls and camera angles make walking down narrow train corridors very difficult at times.

Basically Russian terrorists have taken over a train that contains the French Ambassador and they have planted a nuclear bomb on it. They plan to drive the train straight into France and evidently blow it up? Hell, I've played it so many times and I still don't really know! Either way, you're a lone NATO operative who has to take them down from the inside (of the train.)

I love this game, I don't know what it is about it that appeals but it's definately given me some fun times over the years. I remember being terrified of playing it as a child though, there are some really tense moments.

jak_of_bees

Feb 23, 2011
I'm sure most of the Escapist people know of the Oddworld series, espically Abe's Oddysey one of my earliest favourites that I've played for years, but no one I know apart from my family know of the Oddworld games. Even my friends that call themselves 'real' gamers! Shame on them for not knowing such an awesome series.

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
The Suffering. A pretty good third-person action/survival horror game with interesting enemies and a moral choice system that works better than most games that try that kind of thing.

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
omegawyrm said:
Own a DS? I'd really recommend either Elite Beat Agents or The World Ends With You if so. I've seen tons of Wal Marts and GameStops that have EBA sadly on sale for 5 dollars, so that's an easy one to get. Also, the Trauma Center games are fun and cheap, both on Wii and DS.
I recommend the Japanese version of Elite Beat Agents, Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan(Which translates into Hey! Fight! Cheer Squad. Awesome, I know.) Both it and the sequel are great, with fun music and comic-style narrative, they aren't region locked and none of the text is essential so it's definitely worth getting especially if you are already a fan of EBA.