What is your favorite video game of all time?

Xaio30

Nov 24, 2010
It's a tie between Chrono Trigger and Planescape Torment. The prior has more nostalgia though.

Myndnix

Aug 11, 2012
I really can't decide.
However, for amount of replays, it would probably be Sonic the Hedgehog 3. Or Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Whatever you want to call it.
Alternatively, Lylat Wars (Star Fox 64 to any yanks).
Those're the games I've played the most, so...

chakra7777

Aug 28, 2009
Mondai Randy said:
My favorites games would be Persona 4, Dark Souls , Devil May Cry 1 and 3, Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne, they were games that I would play for hours and hours without getting bored
YES to DMCs and Nocturne!! (havn't played the others yet...) For a personal touch, I'll love SotC forever ever since it blew my 2004, 14yr old mind open to what a ps2 could do.

Then there's SSBM...... dammit!! Honestly, asking me which parent or child I love more would be an easier question...

Roroshi14

Dec 3, 2009
Final Fantasy VII. I can't really say anything new about it everyone knows it well. But I love love love this game. Kingdom Hearts 2 is a very close second as to me its a perfect game and the series itself is my favorite series, but FFVII holds a special place as the start of my RPG love. Still play it all the time, to see if I still love it as much.
I do.

strangemoose

Aug 29, 2009
i gotta say starcraft 1/brood war expansion just so much fun i still play it today after owning it 10 years

MBurdock

Aug 7, 2012
Escape Velocity or Freelancer.
Escape Velocity had more freedom in the amount of things you could do. Freelancer provided a greater perception of freedom.

Aug 19, 2010
I have to say it's Assassin's Creed 2.
It's more recent than most of the other's choices, but somehow i just can't find any faults in it that i can't forgive. It's a perfect blend of fun, stealthy gameplay, the most beautiful soundtrack i've ever heard, and a perfect story.

SeeIn2D

May 24, 2011
Well I have a few games that I'll put at the top of my list. I won't choose between them.

Ratchet and Clank
Call of Duty 4
Resistance Fall of Man

psicat

Feb 13, 2011
Difficult question. I can never pick one just one. So I'll list my favorite for each current console I own:
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (PS3)
Final Fantasy VII (PSX)
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings (Xbox360)
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 Portable (PSP)
Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance (3DS)
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines (PC)

Nimzar

Nov 30, 2009
<= This One.

Baldur's Gate 2 is an experience that has not been matched by any other since.

Though both Chrono Trigger and Myst 3: Exile are close contenders for the top spot, BG2 just has more to it so it wins out.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Honestly? There's no way I couldpick just one game as my "all-time favorite". Firstly because there're quite a few games I've yet to play. (or that have yet to be made) And, secondly, because I love so many games, for one aspect or another.

It'll be difficult, but I think I can probably narrow them down by genre:

First-person Shooter: Half-Life/Portal series.
- The reason I picked this series and not one particular game within it is because I love every entry in the series. At times, for varied reasons. If I had to pick, however, my choice would likely be Episode 2 or Portal 2.

First-person Adventure: Metroid Prime
- This was, in my opinion, the greatest game Retro Studios ever crafted. It was a brilliant amalgam of artistic design and perfect atmosphere.

Real-Time Strategy - Single-player: Homeworld
- I still hold this game as not only one of the finest RTS games ever made but also one that has one of the best stories used in a game.

Real-Time Strategy - Multi-player: Sins of a Solar Empire
- Part of me wanted to put the likes of Starcraft or MechCommander 2 in here, but Sins is just such an exquisitely designed and, more importantly, balanced multi-player RTS. It released in 2008 and I still play it with some regularity.

Turn-Based Strategy: Civilization
- This series in general is easily one of the best of the genre.

Action-Adventure: Banjo-Kazooie / Conker's Bad Fur Day / Psychonauts
- I simply can not find it in me to pick one of those over the others. Each is brilliant in it's own way.

Platformer: Super Mario Brothers / Donkey Kong Country
- There have been many a well-made platformer over the years. Some more complex and intricate than those two. Yet, they still hold a special place in my heart. Sure, nostalgia glasses, blah blah blah. I still love 'em.

2D Action: Earthworm Jim / Viewtiful Joe
- Both of these games were extremely creative. They did something interesting in a genre overrun by generic knock-offs and did it both in style and with comedic wit.

Role-Playing Game: Zork
- I don't know why, but I absolutely adore this series. The blending of sword-and-sorcery fantasy along with steam-punk and modern-day, not to mention some brilliant writing and dry wit, just resonated with me. I'll still boot up the ole' DOS Zork every once and a while.

Honorable mention to Earthbound. Notably for many of the same reasons I love Zork.

Simulator: MechWarrior series
- Now, you can argue until you're blue in the face that these games "don't count" as simulators. I'll still disagree. Either way, I still love the hell out of this series. A very, very close second goes to Freespace. Easily still the epitome of space-combat sims.

Racing: Wipeout
- I don't necessarily mean one particular game in this series as I'm not entirely sure which one I'd pick. That said, there was always something about the Wipeout series that stuck with me. Maybe it was the art design, the detailed futuristic world, the gameplay, the soundtracks....I just don't know. Whatever it was, these games still remain my favorites.

Sandbox: Garry's Mod
- I mean, really? This is pretty much the epitome of sandbox gaming. Quite literally do just about any damn thing you want...and then some. Really psyched for Gmod13.

Horror: Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
- Creepy. Scary. Lovecraftian story telling. Unique and oft times mind-bending "psychological effects" that mess with the player. Epic boss battles. Multiple endings and story paths. Etc, etc, etc. I just loved this game. So much.

the_great_cessation

Nov 29, 2011
Shadow of the Colossus. Easy.

A unique, memorable take on the action/adventure genre with a beautiful, haunting atmosphere and some of the most memorable moments (both sublime and heart-wrenching) I have ever seen in the medium. Add to that the fairly fresh and innovative main gameplay mechanic and add to that an almost meta-fictional narrative that could only be told through the medium of video games and you have what will likely always be my favorite video game of all time.

Shaved Apple

May 17, 2012
That's really hard for me. Halo 3, Dragon Ball Z: Buu's Fury, Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back, Spyro the Dragon, Fighting Force, Robot Alchemic Drive. So many fun games I can't decide.

RADIALTHRONE1

Feb 6, 2011
Its a 5 way tie between-

X360-

CoD: BO (just kidding)
Fallout 3 (w/atleast Broken Steel DLC)
CoD4: MW
Minecraft (XBLA)
Republic Commando

PS2-

Kingdom Hearts 1+2