What is your favorite weapon in any video game ever? (or couple of favorite weapons)

Greyhamster

Nov 26, 2010
Definitely my own limbs. Become a werewolf in Dwarf Fortress adventure mode, lose a limb, regen it, go to town with your own leg/arm. Second best thing: Entire corpses!

Honorable mention: The Falchion in Chivalry: Medieval Warfare. Aim for the head and it kills anything in two hits (except knights, they take 3. But they're too slow to really do anything back)

Zinzinbadio

Dec 21, 2012
My favorite weapon is always lefty and righty in any video game nothing more satisfying than beating down your enemies with your own fists.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
I really liked the shotgun in Bulletstorm. Say what you like about that game, when Yahtzee described it as "God slamming his car door" he was damn right. It blows people in half AND splatters their remains across a wall, usually impaling them to something or other at the same time.

I was also one of those crazy people who thought the story was actually really deep and character focused if you looked hard enough. It ain't as dumb as it looks by a mile.

Oh and i'm going to bend the rules and mention whatever you'd call Ezreal's glove bow thing. It's so FUN! Pew pew forever.

[http://media.photobucket.com/user/DarkS0d0m/media/ZChinese%20Artworks/Ezreal/Ezreal.jpg.html]

I love how it changes size and everything. Glove for autoattacks, it only becomes a bow when you use a Q or W and it goes into a bow twice the size of him for Trueshot Barrage.

Fucking EZREAL man! So cool!

Thomas Barnsley

Mar 8, 2012
The sentry gun from TF2. It's invaluable for every defending team, doesn't require too much skill to use, and looks badass. Miniguns AND rocket lauchers? Hell yes!

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
This isn't going to be conclusive...at all, considering I can't even think of any that stand out as definite mentions, but...

Resistance had/has a lot of good weapons. The Bellock (incendiary grenade launcher) and Dragon (flamethrower), and the Hedgehog and Air Fuel grenades were probably my favourites, but mostly due to good memories as opposed to being interesting weapons.

Dark Souls - the Dragon Greatsword. Can't argue with a massive energy wave for two-hand R2. Yes, I know it doesn't scale with strength, shut up. Also the Avelyn, Moonlight and Black Knight Greatsword.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2's Enma's Fang and Eclipse scythe.

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite's Ancient Slayer Dragonwood LS (inflicts Paralysis and I like using status weapons), Sleep Sword Zantoma (inflicts sleep, curved blade inwards), Barbaroi Blade (ultimately useless, which shows how much I must have liked the design) and Teostra del Sol (flat not pointed, nice colours, fire damage).

So tl;dr: I like incendiary guns, and massive greatswords, preferably terminating in a semicircle, horizontally extending elements or a square edge, and I like large concave blades like this:

Clifford Beasley

Apr 18, 2012
It's been too long since I've played any Earthworm Jim games, but almost all of his weapons are great in some way. For just fun stuff the Worms series has some great ones. Super sheep or the holy hand grenade probably win there. Hmm two worm related games.

In all around usefulness and coolness I think Carsomyr in Baldur's Gate. Putting that on Keldorn was just brutal. Also something about Morte using different teeth in Planscape: Torment is fun for me.

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
porous_shield said:
The meat cleaver from Demon's Souls. I especially like the implausibility of backstabing someone with it because it meant shoving that big hunk of metal through some poor sod's body.
I think I'm going to have to go with this, too. I mean, who can argue with the insane amount of damage that it does? The fact that it's so implausibly large is just a bonus.

I also like the Monkey Gun from TimeSplitters: Future Perfect (it might be in the other ones, I don't know). It takes about five shots to kill someone with it, and when you pull the trigger it fires sixty-four shots in two seconds. It's completely unfair, but so much fun.

absulute

Apr 30, 2013
I've just been playing New Vegas again and I have to say I have a soft spot for the Anti-Material rifle from the Gun Runners Arsenal.

Deathclaws never saw me coming.

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
The Zero-Point Energy Field Manipulator, or Gravity Gun, from the Half-Life series. In the right hands (i.e. mine), this weapon is devastatingly versatile and powerful. Using only my trusty and beloved Gravity Gun, I have cut swaths through hordes of enemies, taken down intelligent elites trying to elaborately entrap me, and used it as a heavy weapon to down foes ten times my size. As long as I have a trusty Gravity Gun at my side, I have nothing to fear.

Also, there are thousands, even tens of thousands, or HUNDREDS of thousands of weapons in video game history. And out of all those many; out of that enormous pantheon, the Gravity Gun is the only one that literally makes a KABOOM! sound.

excalipoor

Jan 16, 2011
Cloud's Buster Sword of course. The only thing that comes even close is Guts' Dragonslayer. Squall's Revolver and Seifer's Hyperion share the distant third place.

I kid! The correct answer is Excalipoor.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
Twin Blades. But I crave games to go the silly rout & let us use cast iron fry pans as blunt weapons.

Blubberburg

Sep 17, 2009
I generally like pistols in games, they always are more mobile and accurate and generally swell... So whats the best pistol?
The revolver in gears of war. Heads explode off from a headshot and a body kill randomly rends their entire flesh.
-It looks hilarious when a boomer comes at you and you put a couple rounds of assult rifle bullets into him then switch to your trusty pistol and explode him iinto chunks of flesh with a single hipfired shot to the nipple.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Oh, god. I am a huge weapon-nut when it comes to games. I love how Tripwire gets so many of their guns so perfectly responsive and complete in their animations and behaviours. They've started a YouTube series dedicated to displaying guns from Red Orchestra in real life. That's what I like to see. Developers going the extra mile and doing something different.

I like Crossbows, in general, from the resistance crossbow to the one in Dead Trigger. I love 'em. The only one I haven't been fussed on is the one in Timesplitters 2. Pretty meh.

"Headsprouter, did you just say you didn't like something Timesplitters related?!?"

Yes, yes I did. I'm a crazy fan, but I'm not delusional.

To the OP, yes the flare guns are indeed an awesome part of that game! They feel so realistic and the projectile behaviour is massive fun, but I'm a big fan of the dual machine guns. Feels like a mid-range chainsaw, mows down the competition! Also the double-barrel (I love double-barrel shotguns in general, too...) and the soviet rifle. They just feel awesome to use. Cool reloads, too. I alwasy thought it was hilarious to see characters without thumbs insert two shells into the weapon, like the Dinosaur, Badass Cyborg and...huh. Headsprouter.

The laser rifle from Fallout 3/New Vegas, also, especially the AER14 prototype. Green lasers are my favourite lasers.
And Thornblade from Oblivion. Shame about the enchantment, but that is a damn cool sword.

DeltaEdge

May 21, 2010
Exius Xavarus said:
Anything Lloyd Irving uses in Tales of Symphonia. There isn't enough love for twin blades.
Seconded, the materia blades were probably my favorite out of all of his weapons though, as the flamberge and vorpal blade just went together so well.
As for other weapons, I'd have to say most of Haseo's weapons, from .hack//G.U. The giant broadsword/chainsaw base level sword was probably my favorite, along with all the other base weapons you see him attacking Tri-Edge with at the beginning of the game.
And while we're on the subject of .hack//, I'd also like to put in a mention for the Twilight Bracelet, because that thing is just... awesome. Can be seen at about 3:50 in that same video.

ChristopherT

Sep 9, 2010
Blaster Launcher - X-Com Ufo Defense/UFO Enemy Unknown - So much power. Remote controlled rocket launcher with a large area of damage. One of my favorite weapons in any game.

Firewall - Dino Crisis 2 - a weapon that shoots at a short wall of fire in front of the character, preventing enemies from attacking and not hindering the character to shoot past the defensive flames. Really helps from preventing taking damage in a game that rewards you for getting through an area without getting hit.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
ohnoitsabear said:
I also like the Monkey Gun from TimeSplitters: Future Perfect (it might be in the other ones, I don't know). It takes about five shots to kill someone with it, and when you pull the trigger it fires sixty-four shots in two seconds. It's completely unfair, but so much fun.
My friend and I made possibly the most cruel weapon set ever in that game. 5 baseball bats and 1 monkey gun. It was the definition of a nightmare lol

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
Headsprouter said:
I like Crossbows, in general, from the resistance crossbow to the one in Dead Trigger. I love 'em. The only one I haven't been fussed on is the one in Timesplitters 2. Pretty meh.

"Headsprouter, did you just say you didn't like something Timesplitters related?!?"

Yes, yes I did. I'm a crazy fan, but I'm not delusional.
I am actually a big fan of the crossbow from Timesplitters 2. Just because you can light someone on fire at range with it.

I was never a machine gun x2 person though. I found them to be a little unfair in game, even more so than the minigun. I preferred the Tommy guns from ts2 to a lot of the bullet weapons in timesplitters future perfect. Granted I just am biased towards stuff in that era but I mean come on, its a flippin' Tommy Gun. I was actually quite pissed when that wasn't in future perfect. Also pissed off they took out the grenade launcher. That thing was fun. explosions and fire. yippeeee!!!

OT: despite that whole thing being on topic, I also quite like the bow and arrow from far cry 3. Completely silent and you can craft fire and explosive arrows for it. Also a big fan of the suppressed pistol (fully upgraded obviously) from deus ex: human revolution as well as the smg from that game. You can get homing bullets *drools*. Felt like something out of the matrix, shooting around walls, turning invisible and such... so great.