Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Stryc9 said:
Scarim Coral said:
Ghost In The Shell Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig
Why just 2nd Gig? The whole series was excellent and if the OP hasn't watched it yet I highly recommend it along with the Solid State Society movie. Get the full series though, NOT the Laughing Man and Individual Eleven "movies" they made after the series ended it's run. They changed all the voice actors around and from what I've heard it really hurt the quality.
I just think 2nd Gig was better compared to the first series. The plot was far more interesting, the action was awesome and it being a new insight to Motoko and other spotlights on the other characters of Section 9.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Headdrivehardscrew said:
SkarKrow said:
Headdrivehardscrew said:
I have no intention of being a dick here but I'd really love a level-headed explanation of what's so great about Hellsing apart from it's violent as hell and Alucard is a badass?
I watched the entire thing and found the story to be a bit of a mess and nothing seemed to have a point other than spectacle. I haven't watched Hellsing Ultimate or read the manga, and I know that the anime strays far from the manga, so maybe thats why.
I do not feel like I've been exposed to your unmentionables yet, kind sir.

I liked the manga already, and at first I did not like the Gonzo spectacle that, indeed, strays quite a bit from the manga material. Yes, I had a moment or two of genuine WTF? before I sat down and watched beyond, what, episode three.

Contrary to my expectations, I ended up liking both rides, and - up to now - I felt no need to check out Hellsing Ultimate yet, as I am happy with the Hellsing experience I got up to this point. I didn't pay much attention to the release of Hellsing Ultimate when it first came out, and now that Umanosuke Iida is dead, I just somehow don't feel like checking out Hellsing 2.0. It might be awesome, it might be good, it might be better, I really don't care right now. As I said, for the time being, I'm good.

Yes, you are right; there is spectacle, and it's rather over the top most of the time. But the portrayal of the ongoing struggle and just how the different characters are trapped in their own destinies, world views, belief systems and pre-determined places in the world is, methinks, pretty much the closest an anime got to, say, Shakespeare or Dante Alighieri level material. It also reminded me, at times, of the smirking little French rat-faced funnyman, Molière.

Then there's the character of Alucard. Just the name 'Alucard' is so overused in Japcrap material of all sorts that one is tempted to disqualify it, roll it up into a dunce hat and set it on fire; that would, however, be a mistake. It's just how the Japanese handle these things. I like parts of the portrayal of Christianity (or faith, in general), I like the bio-punk, cyberpunk steampunk melange of visual style. I like the bonus added content of vampires and undead and demonic whatevers and that sprinkle of Lovecraftian Ctulhu thingamabobs. I like the general feeling of dread and despair and the Edgar Allan Poe vibe they got going.

Alucard is, in one way, a reiterated, recycled interpretation of, say, Blade, just without the Wesley Snipes antics and illusions of grandeur. Alucard really is, as you put it, badass, and he's so overpowered it made me wonder constantly about why he would do a lot of the things he does, and why he does them the way he, well, did. Past tense. He's pretty much a supernatural version of the Joker of Morisson/McKean's awesome Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth, the graphic novel that inspired Heath Ledger to become the Joker of Christopher Nolan's one seriously impressively good Batman movie. He used to be the super-villain, the main antagonist, the dude Bram Stoker wrote about back in the day. In this alternate universe, he was not eliminated, but enslaved for generations in human terms. Then he was locked up in the basement, the key thrown away. He should hold quite a grudge against the Hellsings and humans in general.

Alucard, the über-killer obeys to Integra Hellsing's calling, but he refers to this very circumstance as "pitiable" and "pathetic". He also likes to mention that he'll never understand humans, driving home the point of him being not only not entirely human, but being something else entirely.

When he gets down to do the dirty work, limbs will fly, bodies will get torn apart, his molten silver cross bullets will tear through undead meat and time and space like the free radical he himself is. When he lets himself go, he's bound to make a mess, and it might remind one of the berserker form alter egoes of say, Alice in American MgGee's Alice or Torque's monster form in The Suffering. But with Alucard, it's different. It's as if his more human form is actually not his proper self, just a form of less offensive, stiff upper lip disguise, a sort of public service because it would suck being a monster amongst all these pious weak meatbags all day long.

Yes, he was enslaved and turned and put on a leash, but young Alegra Hellsing released him. It really looks like he chose to hang around and lend a hand by his own free will. I think it's this bit that impressed me most, and it's a bit of lore or read-between-the-lines material that makes the whole premise that much more powerful to me.

Also, he saved Seras Victorias 'life' by turning her into a vampire after she has been mortally wounded. However, she still refuses to drink blood and is hellbent on clinging on to her humanity, which is, of course, but a fading memory, a figment of her imagination, a thing of the past. (Insert random Dark Souls quote here)

This TV series (DVD box set, nudge, nudge) focuses on Alucard and Seras Victoria, which, I think, is fair game and an excellent decision.

Paladin Alexander Anderson is sort of the Agent Smith of this rewritten re-telling of choice cuts of the Hellsing lore. He's an epic foe, although not quite a villain, and he's got some sort of Godly cheat code on all the time. Just a man with an agenda and a different opinion on what's hot and what's not. Sort of what you'd get if you were to put Perez Hilton and the Pope into Brundlefly's excellent teleportation pod. The PerezPope.

Oh, and then there is Incognito. What an excellent antagonist. Come one, undying vomitus maximus with a giant axe and a grenade launcher he fuels with demon vomit. You can't get much more genuinely wacky-scary than that. And he only exists in this TV series.

Just another sprinkle of awesome.

Level-headed enough?
I kind of agree with all of that except I just wished there was more explanation, I don't want everything spelled out for me but a tiny bit of expansion would have gone a long way to my enjoyment of the series I think, but thanks for explaining that, I think it's mostly confirmed that it just isn't really for me.

Though I think Incognito is a poor antagonist, he's a great monster but a poor antagonist. He reminds of bad final bosses from Sonic games, he's really just a big bad ugly beast that shows up at the end for the sake of a fight. Spectacular though he was I felt him too shallow.

Perhaps it's just not my thing, after all I love exposition and depth in my anime, hence my love of One Piece's more calm moments and flashbacks.

Best of the 3

Oct 9, 2010
I really liked Black Lagoon. It was like a well done action movie, put into an anime form. I watched the dub version and I hardly regret it. You can tell it was aimed heavily at a western audience.

I rather liked Higurashi no naku koro ni. THat was an interesting one, weird story with a murder mystery that I was fond of watching.

Code Geass and FMA are 2 very good ones I've loved watching. They've given me the entire range of emotions, happiness, sadness, anger, excitement and pity to name a few of them that I can think of off the top of my head.

For the best story, it has to go to Clannad and Clannad AS. I'm so glad I was recommended this anime. It's a complete roller coaster of a ride with the story. And for the slice of life that it is, it's weird that I kept watching. Normally I don't like slice of life ones, but this one was just amazing with very little faults, if any. THe only reason I never usually think of this one first when I think of favourites is because of "that scene" which I can't watch anymore without tearing up slightly.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
TizzytheTormentor said:
SkarKrow said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
I like Fairy Tail, One Piece, Beelzebub and such, although I mostly read the manga for those.

I love Durarara!! and I got Baccano on DVD and I am borrowing my sisters Gurren Lagann DVDs and she wants me to watch Steins Gate, I really want to watch them, but work (which is thankfully ending this week) and assignments (just have to keep on top of them) has kept me from watching them, I might start next week if I am lucky.
On the topic of One Piece, aren't you glad that the anime finally hit Punk Hazard? Fishman Island was good (Zoro slashing Hody down in a single blow and destroying the octopus guy in the blink of an eye being highlights, and I'm glad they showed off peoples new powers and gave Usopp and Chopper some badassery, shame Franky didn't get to be a badass again) and all but it really dragged it's heels in the middle. (A bit like Impel Down and to a lesser extent the Whitebeard War)
Yeah, Punk Hazard has been a fantastic arc so far! Have you read up to date?
I can't wait to see just how strong Doflamingo is! He is heading towards Punk Hazard!

I do like the how Chopper and Usopp got some bad-assery but it sucks that Usopp is still portrayed as a coward, he can be a little afraid (he isn't fearless like Luffy or Zoro) but having him flip out makes him look weak.

Franky really needs another good fight! He is fully capable, but all his battles are in robots.
Them borked spoilers in my inbox man!

I'd love to see how strong Doflamingo is, we know he's stronger than Moria, but Moria was mostly hot air and a devil fruit, I'd love to see how strong Crocodile is now, because he fought easily on par with Doflamingo in the battle at Marineford. But I am trying to stick to watching One Piece and not reading miles ahead. Though I do read the wiki out of boredom so I have a vague idea of what goes on on Punk Hazard. I know it has Smoker and Law.

Yeah with Usopp I hope they don't keep him as too much of a wuss, since he's now actually very strong, likely as strong as Luffy was pre-timeskip and a very capable fighter. I really enjoyed him in Fishman Island, where he said something along the lines of "I'm a terrible liar now, I used to be great at boasting but now I can really do all of this".

I'd love a really serious Franky fight, when Franky was introduced he was hinted at being in Luffy's league of strength but he's become a bit of a joke now, though I really do like Franky and find him funny, I love when he gets to be a badass, as I said before when he fights Fukurou is one of my favourite fights in the entire series (when he fights Spider Monkey is good too, a good blend of comedy and badassery!). Though when he was fighting on Fishman Island most of his attacks from the robot involved him opening the hatch and attacking himself.

I think Zoro is likely a bit more badass than Luffy now, the whole Fishman Island arc had him so far outclassing everybody who fought him it was unreal, but with all the energy steroids Hody was chomping on it's hard to get a measure of the gap in power between Luffy and Zoro, though I've always said that the gap between them isn't as vast as everyone claims.

They fought on par in Whisky Peaks way back at the start of the Grand Line and Zoro defeated Hody in a single blow even after energy steroids but before the massive overdose. Zoro also took a hell of a beating during the Thriller Bark arc, taking several head on blows from Oars before fighting Kuma in the aftermath and offering his own head in Luffy's place and taking in all the pain and suffering Luffy had been through, on top of his own, and is left still standing afterwards, albeit in very poor condition.

That said Luffy fought Magellan and lived, and Magellan nearly killed Blackbeards entire crew in the blink of an eye were it not for Shilliew...

gritch

Tastes like Science!
Feb 21, 2011
That'd be hard for me to rank. There's so many great animes and there's still plenty I'd like to watch. I suppose I'll just list a few of my favorites in no particular order:

Steins;Gate - Okabe is awesome. Every time I have to put on a lab coat (I'm a Chemistry major so that's fairly often) I have to repress an urge to laugh manically.

Welcome to the NHK! - Depressing and hilarious at the same time.

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood - Coolest concept of magic I'd seen in a while. Kept me wanting more after each episode.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
SkarKrow said:
Though I think Incognito is a poor antagonist, he's a great monster but a poor antagonist. He reminds of bad final bosses from Sonic games, he's really just a big bad ugly beast that shows up at the end for the sake of a fight. Spectacular though he was I felt him too shallow.

Perhaps it's just not my thing, after all I love exposition and depth in my anime, hence my love of One Piece's more calm moments and flashbacks.
What if I told you that I agree with you on Incognito being shallow? What if I told you I think he's too meta to get any deeper?

What if Incognito is a commentary on the antagonist construction set people seem to be using? To be honest, Incognito is as cheesy as they come. Think final fight moments in, say, Afro Samurai or, well, not just a bad final boss from Sonic games, but the mind-numbingly unfair Seth of Steet Fighter IV.

Also, his gadget and surprise-loving nature reminded me of Takashi Miike's Zebraman. Take a step back and have a laugh, or just a constant smirk together with Alucard. I think it's worth it.

One Piece amazed and entertained me when it first started out... then things got just a tad bit too freaky and weird for me, sort of that recurring point in a TV series life when J. J. Abrams runs out of smart stuff and just goes on to mess with your head and make shit up from scratch. Case in point: LOST and Fringe. That's what One Piece reminds me of now, and that's not a good thing.

Naeras

Mar 1, 2011
Fullmetal Aclhemist.

It's an engaging story with interesting, believable characters and interesting themes, and it's about a bunch of scientists beating the snot out of people. What more can you wish for?

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
My favorite ongoing series are One Piece and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.
As for finished ones, those are Dragon ball, Samurai Champloo, Great Teacher Onizuka and Vandread.
Also, my favorite full-length animes are Tokyo godfathers and Girl who lept through time.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Headdrivehardscrew said:
SkarKrow said:

What if I told you that I agree with you on Incognito being shallow? What if I told you I think he's too meta to get any deeper?

What if Incognito is a commentary on the antagonist construction set people seem to be using? To be honest, Incognito is as cheesy as they come. Think final fight moments in, say, Afro Samurai or, well, not just a bad final boss from Sonic games, but the mind-numbingly unfair Seth of Steet Fighter IV.

Also, his gadget and surprise-loving nature reminded me of Takashi Miike's Zebraman. Take a step back and have a laugh, or just a constant smirk together with Alucard. I think it's worth it.

One Piece amazed and entertained me when it first started out... then things got just a tad bit too freaky and weird for me, sort of that recurring point in a TV series life when J. J. Abrams runs out of smart stuff and just goes on to mess with your head and make shit up from scratch. Case in point: LOST and Fringe. That's what One Piece reminds me of now, and that's not a good thing.
Hmm then I think it all makes sense now, if he's supposed to be a parody and a social commentary then it's very clever, but if not then blargh. I've not seen Afro Samurai nor am I big on street fighter, but can it be drawn as parallel to that **** Jinpachi at the end of Tekken 5's story mode? Giant invulnerable 50 hit combo spamming fireball spewing meteor summoning prick that he was.

Hmmm, weird, One Piece isn't like that for me yet, most of it makes sense thus far though some things are yet to be expanded upon, like "just how strong is Dragon?". It's pretty complex and there are a lot of important characters going on b ut it's all well explained and expanded upon, though it's become a tad common for Luffy to almost die in every fight, whereas earlier on he'd sometimes almost die, and sometimes just beat the 7 shades of shit out of the bad guy.

Though, One Piece is already finished, apparently, Oda knows how it's gonna end and is really just filling the path there with smaller adventures as part of the overarching storyline, which is fine, since One Piece is mostly about adventure and freedom.

Edit: It's nowhere near the mess of convenient plot holes and magic macguffins that is the current state of Naruto. I say Naruto ends by the 1st Hokages DNA magically being able to spawn fucking Cthulu and end the world (oh wait...).

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
Bible Black

I'm still working my way through Desert Bus and haven't had time to watch all the great anime I've been meaning to watch.

I've really enjoyed the first half of the first season of Code Geass.

I've also been watching Naruto and I'm enclined to give it as much credits as my generation gives Dragon Ball Z or Pokemon.
And it's legitemately interesting to watch all these different character fight, because there are so many different things going on, you'll never know exactly what you'll see.
It is one of the most long and draw out things ever though--and I thought Bleach was bad. My favorite character's Rock Lee because he seems to be the only one who knows he's in a cartoon, and everyone's built up to be the most badass little kid since the last badass little kid they built up just last episode.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
No real order.

1. Bakemonogatari
2. Puella Magi Madoka Magika
3. Kure-nai
4. Shiki
5. Tatami Galaxy
6. Ef ~a tale of memories~
7. Berserk
8. Steins;Gate

SkarKrow said:
Headdrivehardscrew said:
I have no intention of being a dick here but I'd really love a level-headed explanation of what's so great about Hellsing apart from it's violent as hell and Alucard is a badass?
I watched the entire thing and found the story to be a bit of a mess and nothing seemed to have a point other than spectacle. I haven't watched Hellsing Ultimate or read the manga, and I know that the anime strays far from the manga, so maybe thats why.
The TV anime series was by GONZO, notorious for making horrible storyline changes and making a mess of original work. Watch Hellsing Ultimate or read the manga.

Reduced_Silver said:
I think you might find the best of year reviews from ANN a good place to start.

A link to 2012: http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/feature/2013-01-01/

Follow those backwards a few years- 2010 was especially good.

I have a huge list of anime I've thought amazing, some of which have been mentioned so far. But you don't really say what you like, just that you've watched some good ones. Perhaps you don't really know; I don't think I do.

One that has not been mentioned, and deserves to be, is Berserk. The best character development in a short series I have seen, in any medium. It remains the only anime that, when it ended, I simply had to hunt the manga down, once I realised they had dramatised only an arc of the manga. Berserk is now being made into movies, of which two have been released so far. I do not recommend watching these before watching the original 1990s series. They have gutted most of the character development in place of action scenes.
Whilst I see you are a man of taste, I object to you recommending ANN, I find their reviewers to by worse than modern videogame "journalists."

RobfromtheGulag said:
You tolerate DMC? But you think Bakemonogatari is "pushing the envelope." That seems abit hypocritical to say the least.

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
Mononoke Hime, Berserk. I don't make lists, but those two are consistently on my mind when animes come up.