What is your favourite Final Fantasy game?

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
008Zulu said:

I have always had a soft spot for works of fiction that involve time travel. I know a lot of people didn't get it, which is why they didn't like the game. But since I had no trouble following it, I liked it very much.
While I wouldn't put it up near the top (my favorite is 6), 8's been unfairly maligned. Yes, the plot is rubbish and falls apart if you look too close, but the same could be said for most video games. FF7 had the Avengers (or Star Wars) effect going for it in that people liked the setting or characters enough to blind themselves to the gaping flaws where FF8 didn't.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
I used to hang my hat on FFIX hands down... It wasn't my first, (heh) but it really held solid for me. I loved the characters and the world, and it had my favourite art style.

Saying that, I went back to some of the others recently, and fell in love with VIII and IV again! I really liked VIII as the best of the new era. I loved the mature world, and the general story. I liked that your team were mostly part of an existng mercinary group that ends up caught up in a wider conspiricy and conflict. I liked the junction system (mostly because it was different) and the flashbacks with Laguna. The towns and cities were good too... a blend of sci-fi and fantasy. It also had dungeons still... classic ones where you would have to get to the end and back to beat a boss and collect something. Just a throw back to the classic games.

My fav classic is now IV. It wasn't as hardcore as 3, and had a story that rivals VI at times! The whole repenting, fighting your best friend to save your girl, the ultimate sacrifice of the mages, the ultimate attempt at vengeance... it had some awesome moments! The characters are what you loved about it, and is the reason, like 7, it had a sequel. You just wanted more of them! I also liked how the story flowed, with characters dropping in and out (and not having to choose. It made more sense that your team was everyone availiable, not having a few more characters hidden off screen not taking part, but still there.) It felt more like you were experiencing the whole story which was good. It also meant that each bit had a different challenge depending on the make up of your team. More muscle but missing white magic? Lots of mages and having to chose between attacking and buffing? The summon mechanic disappearing and making a triumphant return?

So yeah.. that's my current verdict. No doubt it will change again at some point!

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
I'm one of those boring people that has to say VII. Played it right to the end, loved it, loved the music.
Played a bit of 6, got maybe an hour or two into it, just wasn't as gripping to me.
Got a bit further in 8, but eventually got bored, unfortunately. It was rather interesting and cool. Gonna have to give it another go someday.
Haven't played a single Final Fantasy game after 8. Just didn't really interest me, the way they took the series.
The one time I got interested in something to do with it since then was Advent Children, which was a massive letdown. Which further put me off of the series.

mrwednesday

Mar 6, 2015
6/3

I worked my ass off as a kid to make enough money to buy it. Carts were expensive and if memory serves at launch 6 was about $90. When I had saved up enough for the game my mom pitched in and bought me the strategy guide to go with it. Along with the story being engrossing the feeling of appreciation I have for the game comes from how hard I worked to get it.

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
For me, it's a three-way tie:

Final Fantasy IX: Best story and characters
Final Fantasy X: Best combat system
Final Fantasy VI: Best story/gameplay balance

Though I do like all of them, except for II and III.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
Tactics. Great story, lovely timeless graphics and a great combat system. Nothing else comes close for me.

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
endtherapture said:
VIII, I think the story is actually better written for the most part than VII, and it has a really unique setting, mature political plot with a love story at its core, with two parallel stories going on. However the drawing magic stuff was absolutely stupid and puts a dampener on an otherwise REALLY good game.

Crisis Core could be my overall favourite. It builds on the setting of VII with a deep, emotional story that really completes the story of Midgar. The ending never fails to make me cry and the gameplay is quick and focused.
Yeah I love Crisis core too. I actually played it before VII.
My favourites are X and VII(crisis core comes with it as a package).

The worst thing I have to say about X is that Yuna is one of the blandest characters ever and her shitty romance with Tidus really drags later on in the game. However the music is amazing and the combat is as it should be, turn based.

kyp275

Mar 27, 2012
WickedBuddha said:
I have never played the original. It and 2 and 3 are the only numbered FF games I have not played.

My comment was mainly directed at anyone who picks 8, 10, 12, or god forbid 13 or the MMO FF games.
And what's wrong with the "MMO FF games"? I'd like to see you argue where the story/character/combat/music/gameplay of 11 or 14 falters against their single player counterparts. Hell, I'd put Heavensward against any other FF.

AgedGrunt

Dec 7, 2011
IV. It's like Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past for me: classic, traditional story between heroes and villains, just a complete end-to-end epic tale, epic in the literary sense.

Honorable mentions: VII, but kind of goes all over the place, and it's more nostalgia than anything. IX is runner-up, but dials down the maturity and I wasn't completely happy with the high-level story (Kuja et al), but the game easily takes best ending of any FF game.

Arkliem

Apr 30, 2015
Gonna keep this to FF games I've finished. Most have an interesting theme they try to tackle.

FFIV is my favorite. Probably a good deal of nostalgia and the fact it was the first one I played. While the tropes are probably outdated by today's standards, it practically started many of them. IV seems like the first one where they got a handle on what they want FF to be. Though I do wish square would stop milking this one. After Years was a neat idea, but jesus all these rereleases and remakes are just ridiculous.
Theme: Redemption/Atonement

IX would be next. Some great character development in the game(Steiner and Vivi especially). It's unfortunate they kind of forget about Freya after disk 1 and never do much of anything with Amarant or Quina. This game managed to grab a lot of what was good about previous games and get them all working together. The final boss kind of comes out of nowhere(IV had a bait and switch boss too, but at least they spent some time explaining him) My personal favorite of FF OSTs as well. Uematsu really outdid himself for this one.
Theme: Existentialism

Up next is VI. This one did some great things with the story, and characters. Though Terra is considered the focus, she's not really a main character. A lot of the story is different groups of protags doing their thing, and you can even beat the game without Terra. The ruined world is quite the change in tone, and I feel like they really nailed it.
Theme: Overcoming Despair

V gets my next pick for its job system and generally fun adventure storyline. The job system is amazing for its time, though some classes are severely OP(Chemist, Bard, you guys need to stop breaking the game!) While there's nothing particular that stands out storywise(As I mentioned, it's generally just an adventure romp. The merged world was a neat concept though), I don't think anything was bad either. Also it introduced Gilgamesh into the series, so that's a plus.
Theme: I don't think this one actually worked on a theme, seemed more like a story they wanted to tell.

VII's next. Square tried their hands on a more futuristic fantasy, and made it work fairly well. Their first 3D foray, and although the character models are very basic, the FMV scenes were well done for a first timer. The limit break addition was a cool idea. The story can be a little convoluted, but definitely workable. The game had a very good sense of grandness(The overworld theme in particular helped) that many others lacked. Midgar was absolutely huge, and you spend so much time in it at the beginning and then get shoved outside the city and realize "Whoah there's so much more out there". Combat was alright, and the materia system was interesting enough.
Theme: Environmentalism and Self-Identity

VIII I hated my first time through. I was much younger than now, so I didn't understand the draw system all that well which led to me level grinding. Which unfortunately makes things worse as enemies level up too when you do that. The story jumped all over and on the first time through can be very difficult to follow. I still don't care for it too much, but I'm not quite as harsh on it anymore. They tried to experiment and things just didn't work out. Unfortunately junctioning was ridiculously broken once you figured out the system and could stay low level with near maxed stats(Which also allowed you to limit break almost constantly). Triple triad was a neat addition though, and on subsequent playthroughs I understand what the story was trying to show. While it may concern time travel, the main focus of it seemed to be about squall becoming and growing as a leader and trying to overcome his defeatism. Then again maybe it was meant to convey that we should all stock more hotdogs.
Theme: Leadership/Personal Growth

I have trouble placing the last two.

I'll go with FFX first as it does have some redeeming qualities that aren't just the soundtrack. This one kind of killed the franchise for me. The theme of the story is good, but I can't stand any of the characters. The voice acting made it worse(Or unintentionally comedic at times). The sphere grid was a neat idea, but didn't really pan out for me. I played through and beat it when it came out, and I've been trying to do another playthrough lately but it's just not grabbing me. I will give it props to letting you know turn order though.
Theme: Religious conviction and deciding what is right.

Last I go to FF: Mystic Quest if that can even be considered an FF game. While it had an excellent soundtrack, most of the rest was mediocre. Nice to not have random battles for once, but battles themselves were kind of boring. And being forced to have a certain number of them on battlefield tiles to open up new areas was tedious. There were tools that could be used to do things but they were mainly used as progression blockers.
Theme: Nothing really

Xeros

Aug 13, 2008
Sniper Team 4 said:
My favorite is VIII. ... Still has one of the best opening cutscenes ever...
This and this. That opening cutscene goes for the throat and never lets go; so much energy. The world, the music (ye gods, the music), the characters and story were fairly decent, and the best minigame of all time - Triple Triad.

Oh, and drawing magic was nowhere near the pain in the ass most people make it out to be. Junctioning magic was a functional system and added value to spells in a 'stat boosts vs. temporary damage/status boost' dynamic.

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
008Zulu said:
Veylon said:
Yes, the plot is rubbish and falls apart if you look too close
Which part are you referring to?
Let's start at the very beginning: Galbadia wants that transmission tower up and working. Why? Radio transmissions haven't been working for seventeen years. Even if it works and they can broadcast, nobody is going to be listening because transmissions haven't been working for seventeen years. They'd have to send messengers out to tell everyone to dig out their dusty old radios and tune them to the right frequency at the right time. At that point, they may as well have the messengers deliver the message as well. Something like half of the first disc revolves around this message being blocked or replaced, so this isn't a minor plot point.

That wasn't the one that broke my suspension of disbelief, though; I was still enjoying the mechanics of the game (even if everyone else thought they were atrocious), so I didn't really care. What did it for me was the revelation that all the main characters grew up with Edea and somehow forgot about it. Oh, except that Irvine didn't. He knew and kept it a secret from the rest. Even that wouldn't be so bad, except that this knowledge leads him to hesitate at a crucial moment when all the rest of their lives were on the line. If he didn't feel he could take the shot, he should've bowed out and let someone else do it.

But I think the stupidest part was the "plan" to let Ultimecia go ahead with her time compression scheme and hope that the power of friendship would somehow stop time from being destroyed. Not good.

I'll skip the parts that involve causality: time travel is inherently a bad thing to put into a story.

I'm sure someone's made a painfully exhaustive compendium of everything that's wrong, but this is enough for me.

Now, other games use similar plot elements, but they throw in just enough to handwave them. The first one might be fixed if Dollet had recently started transmitting and Galbadia wanted the tower because this had been going on just long enough for there to be an audience for their message. The second could be fixed by having Irvine also have had amnesia, which is lifted just as he is about to take the shot (and maybe the others could have this happen as well as they confronted her?). Most games would fix the last by throwing in a MacGuffin of some sort; there'd be a Time Cube or Prismatic Matrix or Chronosphere that would hold time and space together long enough for the gun-sword guy to do his gun-sword stuff.

Essentialy what I'm saying is that the game needed more editing than it got.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Veylon said:
Let's start at the very beginning: Galbadia wants that transmission tower up and working. Why? Radio transmissions haven't been working for seventeen years. Even if it works and they can broadcast, nobody is going to be listening because transmissions haven't been working for seventeen years. They'd have to send messengers out to tell everyone to dig out their dusty old radios and tune them to the right frequency at the right time. At that point, they may as well have the messengers deliver the message as well. Something like half of the first disc revolves around this message being blocked or replaced, so this isn't a minor plot point.

That wasn't the one that broke my suspension of disbelief, though; I was still enjoying the mechanics of the game (even if everyone else thought they were atrocious), so I didn't really care. What did it for me was the revelation that all the main characters grew up with Edea and somehow forgot about it. Oh, except that Irvine didn't. He knew and kept it a secret from the rest. Even that wouldn't be so bad, except that this knowledge leads him to hesitate at a crucial moment when all the rest of their lives were on the line. If he didn't feel he could take the shot, he should've bowed out and let someone else do it.

But I think the stupidest part was the "plan" to let Ultimecia go ahead with her time compression scheme and hope that the power of friendship would somehow stop time from being destroyed. Not good.

I'll skip the parts that involve causality: time travel is inherently a bad thing to put into a story.

I'm sure someone's made a painfully exhaustive compendium of everything that's wrong, but this is enough for me.

Now, other games use similar plot elements, but they throw in just enough to handwave them. The first one might be fixed if Dollet had recently started transmitting and Galbadia wanted the tower because this had been going on just long enough for there to be an audience for their message. The second could be fixed by having Irvine also have had amnesia, which is lifted just as he is about to take the shot (and maybe the others could have this happen as well as they confronted her?). Most games would fix the last by throwing in a MacGuffin of some sort; there'd be a Time Cube or Prismatic Matrix or Chronosphere that would hold time and space together long enough for the gun-sword guy to do his gun-sword stuff.

Essentialy what I'm saying is that the game needed more editing than it got.
The transmission tower; Though they stated everything was transmitted over HD cable, there were still areas that didn't have cable coverage. This would imply that radio transmission was still in use in some areas.

Forgetting Edea; It was explained in game that junctioning a Guardian creature wiped out a person's memories the longer it was tied to them. Irvine not taking the shot annoyed me too, you don't take a sharpshooter on a high level mission if they have never shot someone before.

Ultimecia: They had to let her go ahead with her plan, there was no other way for them to reach her castle otherwise.

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
008Zulu said:
The transmission tower; Though they stated everything was transmitted over HD cable, there were still areas that didn't have cable coverage. This would imply that radio transmission was still in use in some areas.

Forgetting Edea; It was explained in game that junctioning a Guardian creature wiped out a person's memories the longer it was tied to them. Irvine not taking the shot annoyed me too, you don't take a sharpshooter on a high level mission if they have never shot someone before.

Ultimecia: They had to let her go ahead with her plan, there was no other way for them to reach her castle otherwise.
I don't really want to nitpick this thing to death forever - in part at least because other games make a hash of plots as well - but I should point out that even the potential explanations only open up more plot holes.

If radio transmission is still in use, then how on earth can Dollet have the only broadcast tower left in the world? Yes, unfortunately, this is canon. It makes even less sense that it's to announce something as banal as the appointment of an ambassador for some kind of peace summit. That, in turn, is undermined by two facts: One is that it's immediately preceded by the invasion and occupation by another country. The other is that the people who need to receive such a message - government leaders - live in the most advanced and built-up parts of their countries, the ones that would already have the HD cables hooked up and ready to go.

Lets get to the GFs. Yes, I am aware that the game's explanation is that GFs give people amnesia. That's an interesting idea: a trade-off between acquisition of power and loss of one of the key parts of one's own self. It's a very interesting dilemma in a world facing takeover by an aggressive, military power being manipulated by a ruthless mindbending goddess-empress. The game's particular fault here is the lack of ambition. What is done with this premise? The main characters forget Edea. That's it. If there was one time for fully justified angst, it would be when one's mind is literally being erased an inch at a time. Where is the scene where Squall tells Rinoa that his way of life will make him simply forget her and there's no point in them hooking up? Where is the scene were Quistis wonders what the point of teaching is when her students will forget what they know before long? Where are the old veterans who are great heroes but cannot recall a single moment of the heroics they performed and are astonished as anyone when told of their accomplishments? Wheres the scene where they all express deep relief that the war is finally over and they can give up those terrible GFs for good? There's a fair bit that could be done with this and I have to fault the game for not coming to grips with the consequences of it's worldbuilding. I feel that this is worse than the technical plot hole. If they weren't going to handle the implications of GF amnesia, they may as well have had Edea use a mind-erasing spell way back when; that could've fixed two plot holes.

There were other options. They could declare that SeeD is going to hold the line until history advances to the time of Ultimecia. They'd have some kind of international program to identify Sorceresses at a young age and seal them away to prevent Ultimecia from having an influence on her past. They have a space program - maybe relativistic travel could get our crew to her time before they die of old age so they can take her down personally. Since this is a Final Fantasy game, they could try to invent a time machine to get them to the future or protect Sorceresses from trans-chronal influence. I'll grant that these are impractical options, but they strike me as less bad than letting Ultimecia break the universe on purpose and hoping that they'll exist to fix it in whatever alien realm takes it's place. Even if they have to get knocked off the table for one reason or another, I would've like to see at least one other idea before they jump straight to smashing space-time. Heck, I would've been mollified if there a line of text or two where Rinoa assures everyone that she can use her bond with Ultimecia to magic a way through for them somehow. Throw me a bone here, game!

Again, I do want to repeat that other games do bad plot stuff like this too. If I (for whatever reason) didn't like Final Fantasy VI, I'm sure I could nitpick that to death as well. I did (mostly) enjoy FF8, it just has some bafflingly large plot holes that a little editing could've easily closed.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
FF IX takes my vote, which is funny because I thought I'd hate it on esthetics alone but the characters grew on me fast enough I quickly forgot about it.

Overall I found FF IX was "just right" in almost every category, the combat system was fun and characters were more unique in their skillsets then in the previous final fantasy games with ATB combat, the visuals were pleasant, the music was great, plot decent, lots to explore and tons of secrets..

Really the only negative I can think is the villain, Kula is a bit underwhelming in comparison to other final fantasy big bads.
Oh and I thought the card game was lame and better in FF VIII.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
Final Fantasy Tactics(PSX version) crushes all the others for me. It isn't even close. Second place would likely be Final Fantasy IV. Even though VI is more proficient, IV(SNES version) was my first and has a lot of nostalgia for me. I also really like a lot of elements from it, despite being very basic.

Orga777

Jan 2, 2008
endtherapture said:
VIII, I think the story is actually better written for the most part than VII, and it has a really unique setting, mature political plot with a love story at its core, with two parallel stories going on. However the drawing magic stuff was absolutely stupid and puts a dampener on an otherwise REALLY good game.
Better written? That story had more holes and horrible characters than any game in the series... before XIII. <.<

Well, here is mine from favorite to least favorite. Main series only because too much otherwise, and I barely played those.(not counting XI and XIV, cause I don't do MMO's.)

1. Final Fantasy VI - Easily the best game in the series. No contest. The story is easily top of the line, with some of the best character moments in the entire series. The whole cast is pretty detailed, especially after you dig through each of the side-quests at the end of the game. Of course, Celes (my favorite all time video game character), Locke, and Terra steal the whole show. The three of them are all split for the main character role essentially, and each one is fantastic for different reasons. Not just them, but Sabin, Setzer, Edgar, Cyan, and Shadow all have glorious and heartfelt moments as well. It is down right crazy how much character detail went into this game. And do I have to even bring up Kefka? Easily the best antagonist in the series, if not all of gaming. The sprite graphics age very well, and the story and characters aged well with them. I love this game so much. I wish Square would release an updated version of this game like they did for IV on the PSP. Because this game deserves it the most. My favorite video game ever.

2. Final Fantasy IX - One of the more underrated games in the series. IX is right up there with VI as having the best story. Between Vivi, Steiner, Garnet, and Zidane, you also have one of the best casts of characters. Kuja, while he looks completely ridiculous, is easily one of the more sinister and successful villains in the series. What he lacks in raw power like Exdeath or Sephiroth have, he make up for in cunning only rivaled by Vayne Solidor from XII. He also has some depth to him as well so he is both a threat and compelling. The gameplay is nothing fancy, as it goes back to the nice classic style seen from I-VI. The Trance system holds it back a bit, though, as it always seems to activate when you don't want it to, lol. But the story, characters, and easily the best soundtrack in the entire series make up for any minor gameplay flubs. This was the latest game in the series I played (before XIII) and I regret not playing it much sooner, because it is glorious.

3. Final Fantasy XII - THE most underrated game in the entire series, and the most undeserved to be hated. The biggest problem is the Gambit System. It is really weak and can make the game a bit of a snooze. The license stuff is a bit obnoxious as well, and if you gain the character's Quickening's early enough, the early part of the game can be a breeze. But, even with mediocre gameplay, the story is probably the best when it comes to world building. None of the other games have the goings on of politics like this game does. All the scenes give you valuable information on what is going on in the world of Ivalice. Not only that, the open world is amazing. There is so much to see and do that I plugged in over 100 hours into the game and STILL haven't done everything. No other Final Fantasy game has a world like this outside the MMO's, so the world feels more alive than any other game in the series. The lack of random battles also make the game feel more alive as all the enemies are on screen and there is no random transition into battle mode. It happens right away. The characters are all mostly good. I know people hate on Vaan and Penelo, but you need to remember something about good story telling. They are there to be our eyes into the events unfolding around them. If they were not there, we wouldn't learn anything because all the other character KNOW what is going on. They are an outside reference for us to put ourselves into as outsiders. They ask questions and gain knowledge of everything that is happening so we the audience can understand what is happening. If they weren't there, we would just get a confusing mess that makes little sense like in the Star Wars prequels. I don't even consider them the main characters. Ashe, Basch, and Balthier all fall into that category more than they do. The story of breaking free of the hands of fate is HUGE in this game as well, which is why a villain like Vayne Solidor is perfect for this game of gods and humans. The ambition is makes him dangerous, but his goals and ideals are sound. Same with mot of the cast. It is just an all around glorious ride through a fantastic world. I hope Square follows through with their promise that if the HD collection of X sells well, that they will release an HD XII. The game would be perfect if the gameplay was spruced up just a little bit.

4. Final Fantasy VII - The most hyped game in the series, and it isn't completely unfounded. The story, while a bit wonky, DOES make sense if you go out and explore the world and do some side quests to learn more about Cloud and Zack's backstory. The game has a great cast of characters as well, with Tifa leading the charge as the most detailed character in the game. The music goes without saying. One of Uematsu's best (I only put VI and IX above VII.) The Materia system is a bit outdated, but it isn't horrible by any means (unlike VIII's junctioning system...) Really, the only thing holding VII back is that the story isn't as good as the others higher than it, and the graphics have aged extremely poorly for this game, more than any other game in the series. I am a bit leery about the remake, but I am sure that any graphics short comings will no longer exist when that comes out.

5. Final Fanasty IV - One of the classics. The Pre-VII fans laud this game to high heaven along with VI... but it is one of the more orverrated games in the series. Not because of the gameplay, which is VERY good. Not because of the characters that are all amazing and detailed. But because the story is... not very well thought out. It started off pretty good and simple, but the entire third act was a mess. Characters that "died" came back because...... they can? And the whole big reveal at the end for the REAL main villain reminds me something out of a really bad anime. Not good... not good at all. However, the heartfelt characters and the solid gameplay (only one with Five characters at once!) keep this game high up on the list. Just a fun experience.

6. Final Fantasy II - Definitely not this high for the gameplay, which is just dreadful (and makes no sense.) But for such an early game in the series, the characters are rather strong, and the story, while simple, actually compelling at times. The Emperor is also freaking aawesome and takes over Hell (and Heaven in the GBA and PSP versions.) So freaking evil! Firion is the opposite. For a simple character, he is a great main character. The first one with a personality.

7. Final Fantasy V - I am going to say this now, I am NOT a fan of the Job system. I find it exhausting and tedious to level them up. I don't have much fun with them because of this. So my bias starts to shine through for where I am putting this game. The story is only okay, the music is only okay, and the characters are only okay (except for Galuf who is awesome.) The game is just... okay. Exdeath is an alright villain. A bit preachy, but he has the most overwhelming power out of all the main villains by a landslide. His looks is also pretty cool. The think that is best about this game though? Freaking Gilgamesh! YEAHHHHHHHHHHHH! He is the greatest, and this being his first appearence, he steals the show. And who can forget The Battle on the Big Bridge? One of the best battle themes ever! All because of Gilgamesh!

8. Final Fantasy I - The first. Not much story, no real characters, either, so it kinda gets hit down a bit harder for me. However, the game isn't bad. I love the game. The music is solid, and the gameplay (in the updated PSP and GBA versions anyway) are very good. Also, Garland will knock you all down! (Everything after this I find to be terrible experiences.)

9. Final Fantasy III - Take V and remove the characters and story and you get III. Simple as that. The DS version tried to fix this issue, but... ehhh... Mixed results. In all, it is a pretty forgettable experience.

10. Final Fantasy X - I don't understand this game. People love it for some reason, despite the fact that the story is horrible, and most of the cast (outside of Jecht, Yuna, Lulu, and the awesomeness that is Auron) is rather... horrible. The main villain is a Sephiroth wanna-be, Wakka is a racist moron with the dumbest hair ever, Rikku is fanservice the character with the personality of a wet rock and annoying motives that make no sense when you think about them, and Tidus... my lord... where to begin. He is easily the most unintelligent and brain dead main character in all of Final Fantasy. His high pitched whining and moronic comments make me want to throw the console against the wall. And it isn't his story. It is Yuna's story. This twit is just along for the ride. Freaking annoying little twit. I hate him. If it wasn't for Hope, he would be my most hated character in the series. Well, besides the terrible characters, and the mediocre mess of a story, the game play is actually mostly solid, the music is beautiful, and the world of Spira is pretty awesome. So those things keep this game elevated from being a complete waste.

11. Final Fantasy VIII - This game was the first in the series I played, and I loved it a lot for some reason. But, man, when I got older, the story ended up being a laughing stock, and so was the game play (which I still hold as the worst in the entire series, even worse than XIII.) The drawing of magic, the junctioning of spells, and the overly complicated mess that all of this has with the summons (GFs) is the most tedious thing in the world. That makes it either the very hardest battle system ever in the series, or, if you know what you are doing, the EASIEST, as it is also easily the most exploitable system in the series. The only spells I ever used in the game were Cure spells, and the outrageously broken Aura which pretty much gives you Limit Breaks whenever you want. Because the other spells are best used Junctioned to your characters to pretty much max out their stats. Since there was a random Draw Point for Ultima rather early in the game, I just milked that for all it was worth and Junctioned 99 of them to my HP, which maxed it out before level 20. Want to get good at Final Fantasy VIII? Waste your life playing the card game, because some of those cards give you crazy good items for no reason. One Gilgamesh card gives you 10 freaking Holy Wars, an item that makes the entire party invulnerable for what feels like forever. It certainly made Omega Weapon, easily the hardest boss in the game, into a laughing stock. Add in the horrible characters like Squall who is the most Emo character in franchise history (he is equivalent to about three Clouds or 1.5 Hope's) and you have a recipe for disaster. Worst game play, horrible written story with giant holes in it, and a cast of characters that makes me want to let the bad guys win, and we get this great disaster. However, despite all that, I can probably go back and play it for nostalgia purposes. The graphics are still pretty good, and the music is awesome. The world is pretty cool, too. Just a shame the story and characters suck so much.

12. Final Fantasy XIII - The only game in the main series I never finished. At first, I didn't know why I stopped, but when I tried to replay it, I realized really quickly why... The game is just horrible. The game play is boring, the level up system has the illusion of choice, but it is just a more linear version of X's sphere grid, and the characters... My god the characters... Besides Lightning (and maybe Fang) everyone was pretty much insufferable for most of the game for different reasons. The story is the absolute worst with characters motivations not making any sense, and the plot a giant convoluted mess. I hate the game.

lordmardok

Mar 25, 2010
Mechanically speaking, my favorite Final Fantasy is FFV. I always loved the Job system and played the tactics games to death, but the Tactic's storylines always felt a little anemic since they were basically just text blocks in between set-piece battles with the occasional 'cut scene'. FFV gave me what I wanted in terms of a great story with good characters and the job system I loved using.

Story-wise, however, my favorite will always be FFIX, the mechanics were fairly mundane but they were perfectly functional. None of that ridiculous Draw/Junction crap from VIII. The heroes were pretty standard too, I like Zidane, he reminded me of a Studio Ghibli hero, and Garnet as well. I loved Steiner and Freya too. Ultimately they didn't make the game for me. No, what clinches FFIX for me is the villain. Finally. A Final Fantasy game with a relatable villain. Don't get me wrong, other villains were, perhaps, more memorable. Kefka, Ultimecia, and of course the One-Winged Momma's Boy Sephiroth. But none of them were relatable. Sephy was a test-tube clone baby of an alien apocalypse god and mother (giggity) of all Oedipus Complexes, Kefka was a nihilistic omnicidal maniac clown, and Ultimecia was a future-past-psychic-space/time witch who turned out to be, literally, her own worst enemy. None of them made any kind of logical, relatable sense.

Then there was Kuja. My absolute favorite. A villain who seems, on the surface, just as power-mad and psychotic as every other FF villain. In the end, though
it turns out the entirety of his rage and destructive streak stemmed from that most human of fears. He was afraid to die. He was a clone and a slave to an effectively dead species from another planet (I'm dumbing it down a bit because this part was kinda goofy, I'll admit). He had a limited life span and his only purpose was to basically to cause chaos and war between humans. He hated Black Mages because they reminded him that he was no less of a slave and automaton than they were. He rebelled against his creators to fight against the injustice of his own existence, being created only to fulfill someone else's whims.

He was the most relatable, understandable, human villain that Square ever created, in my opinion. Even at the very end, we're treated to a scene of Kuja confessing his fear of death to Zidane as the Lifa Tree collapses around him, and Zidane offers him comfort. That was, once again in my opinion, the most emotional and genuine scene that Square ever made.