What is your GOTY so far?

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
For me personally, it would have to be either Dragon's Dogma or Final Fantasy XIII-2.
Both were somewhat critically polarising games but I found myself very immersed in and greatly enjoyed both. Particularly FFXII-2 which I feel is the best one since FFX.

So what has been your favourite game(s) so far this year?

Mod Edit: To avoid breaking the 'Low Content' rule, please add why it's your Game Of The Year.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Spec Ops: The Line easily. Although I haven't played Borderlands 2 much (damn my IRL friends for having jobs and shit!) or Dishonored. ME3 would be in second place at the moment, I think

Oh, for pure fun and waves of nostalgia it brought back, the Sonic Adventure 2 XBLA release.

And of course, there are still plenty of games to come.

Berithil

Maintenence Man of the Universe
Mar 19, 2009
So far the only game I've bought this year is Dishonored (dang you, lack of money!!!), so I kinda have to go with that one.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
J. Mazarin said:
For me, it's Borderlands 2.

I'm waiting on Halo and Persona 4: The Golden though.
Those two are probably my most anticipated games at the moment.

Also I forgot Mass Effect 3 was this year. Definitely one of my favourites this year.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Crusader Kings 2

I've actually played a lot of games I consider fantastic this year but of all of them Crusader Kings 2 is not only the one I've spent the most time with but also the one I suspect I'll be playing most in years to come as well. This is the sort of strategy gem I've little doubt will still be enjoyed and talked about for a long time to come.

Jason Rayes

Sep 5, 2012
Mass Effect 3 or The Book of Unwritten Tales. I know BoUT was released a couple of years back in Europe, but it was only released in Australia this year, so Im counting it :p

distortedreality

May 2, 2011
ME3 or Dishonored for me.

Having said that, I haven't tried Spec Ops, Borderlands 2 or Guild Wars 2 yet, and Hitman is getting closer, so that could change.

Occams_Razor

Not as new as you may think...
Oct 20, 2012
ME3 or Borderlands 2. ME3 for the story, Borderlands 2 for frantic shooting fun, and the massive number of hours I've sunk into it.

Spearmaster

Mar 10, 2010
I'm gonna have to say Torchlight 2 but it is a niche game. Its not been the best year but I still have a huge backlog of gaming to do from 2011.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I'm torn between Mass Effect 3 and Mark of the Ninja. Mark of the Ninja is an absolute joy to play, and is the first game that I beat and went straight back to for the NG+. It nails stealth, has a great style, and is just so satisfying no matter how you approach it.

I'll give it to Mark of the Ninja.

poxyrom

May 6, 2012
To be honest, I'm very dissapointed with this years games so far. There have been some good ones - ME3 and Borderlands 2, for example - but none have really taken my fancy all that much. (Although I an very picky when it comes to games).
If the year ended now, my goty would be Borderlands. But I'm already done with it and i've only but about 35 hours into it, so It's not exactly great imo..

w9496

Jun 28, 2011
Mass Effect 3 for me. I've played Borderlands 2 and Resident Evil 6 and all that, but Mass Effect was just better all around. I liked the story(even the ending), the gameplay was a lot more smooth than the previous 2, and the multiplayer contributed rather than detract from the game.

As for runner-up, I'm having a hell of a lot of fun with Binary Domain right now. Reminds me a lot of Gears of War in some ways.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
poxyrom said:
To be honest, I'm very dissapointed with this years games so far. There have been some good ones - ME3 and Borderlands 2, for example - but none have really taken my fancy all that much. (Although I an very picky when it comes to games).
If the year ended now, my goty would be Borderlands. But I'm already done with it and i've only but about 35 hours into it, so It's not exactly great imo..
I think it has been a remarkably strong year, especially when you look outside of the AAA market (though there are a few outstanding AAA games too):
-Tribes: Ascend
-FTL
-Mass Effect 3
-Mark of the Ninja
-Torchlight II
-Sleeping Dogs
-Darksiders 2
-XCOM: Enemy Unknown
-Endless Space
-Civ V: Gods and Kings
-Journey

And those are just the ones I've played. I'm still looking forward to more: Assassin's Creed 3, Hawken, The Banner Saga, and Natural Selection 2.

This all covers RPGs, roguelikes, stealth, action, sandbox, adventure, FPS, and different kinds of strategy games. Lots of quality and lots of variety.