What is your greatest disappointment in Anime?

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Axelhander said:
Most recent disappointment: how awful the 2009 Fullmetal Alchemist series compared to the infinitely superior 2003 one.
Really? Most people you're apt to encounter say it's the other way around (I take it you didn't read the manga...)

OT:

Fan service, interminable fights, harems, emotionally unintelligent dipshits who don't know what a 'facial expression' or 'tone of voice' are, the hamfisted approach to the 'never give up' attitude, 'why you're going to lose' speeches, shameless crowbarring in of foreign characters, obligatory beach/swimming pool episodes, jiggle physics, blatant scenario set-ups... oh, and Hugh Jackman.

Think that covers everything.

Tyzamar

Apr 13, 2010
They're never as good as the manga. Even some movies out of hollywood can do the book at least some justice.

honestdiscussioner

Jul 17, 2010
Hmm . . the movies. Strange action sequences, little story . . . there are some exceptions but many of them suck ::Looks at Naruto Shippuden 2::.

aei_haruko

Jun 12, 2011
Gilhelmi said:
So that is the question.

For me it was seeing the last 5 episodes of High-School of the Dead. I weep at the lost potential turned to blatant fanservice. I could not understand why people were hard on it the first 6 episodes were splendid. Good action somewhat thought provoking (not deep thought but still). Then that dang bullet broke the laws of physics, a bullet travailing several hundred feet/second passing preforming stunts with breast physics. I lost all interest in the show after that. A few other scenes drove me farther away, but that one stab my science side in the heart.

I liked the drama, the decisions about who to follow, whether or not to save the child at the risk of the group. but the dang fanservice. I like a little fanservice if sprinkled in now and then. If it has a good plot to the episode I will enjoy it. In other words, I like the OVA of Full Metal Panic: TSR. It had a good (even if a bit cheesy) story to it, it was not over done on the unnecessary partial nudity (I like story more, but the unnecessary partial nudity was only 1.5 min at the start of the episode and was in place of the intro sequence), and it was an OVA, part of the series but separate at the same time. I did not have to watch to gain insight on the main story.

So that is it my greatest disappointment was High-School of the Dead. Great potential gone like the sand of time.
filler, what you said, and fucking Near. uggh, why did they have to have near. Oh, and One piece

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Tyzamar said:
They're never as good as the manga. Even some movies out of hollywood can do the book at least some justice.
'Never' is a strong word. There are some (e.g. Aqua/Aria) that are just as good (and in some episodes it improved upon the manga), but for the most part, the anime cannot be as good as the manga for the simple reason that production only allows for 12-13 or 24-26 episodes when the manga is still ongoing or ended but has much more material. This invariably leads to a rushed or, even worse, unexplained ending (at least for those who haven't read the manga). That's the primary reason why anime adaptations tend to suck (in comparison). Original anime series tend to stand up quite well (while conversely, their manga adaptations, for the most part, suck).

The only real exceptions to this are the animes that extend over years and years of production (the big three *insert line of expletives here* in particular), and they suck because of interminable fillers because the production schedule doesn't match the writing schedule of the mangaka. So studios are fucked if they don't, fucked if they do.

MagicMouse

Dec 31, 2009
It would have to be for me, that every anime I find with an interesting plot degrades into ecchi harem nonsense by episode 4. Seriously, WTF?

The shows can stand up by themselves without that shit. For example, take Hidan no Aria, the plot is interesting the design is good the animation is awesome and the characters are usually very well developed with unique personalities. But for some reason the show decides to give each girl a god damn split personality so that whenever she is around the male lead she has some sort mental of disability.

General Vagueness

Feb 24, 2009
fanservice, specifically the type you usually think of-- not for what it is but for what it isn't and the context
I wish western and Japanese society could be more OK with the human body and just get on with the nudity everyone knows is a few strategically placed lines away and get it over with and get back to the story, or alternatively get it out of their system somewhere else and let a series not dwell on it, or in the case of hentai, stay with it and not bother me with a high school boy with grand dreams who's nervous and gets in hilarious awkward situations and his trials and tribulations and this happened to him and that happened to her and five-minute speech out of nowhere and-- I don't care
even if it's not hentai, if there's a strong and/or consistent suggestive theme to it and remotely consistent "teasing"-type fanservice people aren't watching for the story, so please don't waste my time

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Gaiseric said:
And the last episode of Berserk just ending leaving room for a second season that never came. The movies they are making hopefully will make up for the long wait.
I just hope they release with a little more regularity than the manga. Twelve pages every 4 months? Makes me wanna cry.

Rawker

Jun 24, 2009
sometimes dubs ruin it for me, other times subs ruin it for me. I hate Bleach subs but I also hated the Dubs for Death Note. That and too many boobs n' stuff. For example, I like Elfen Lied, but holy fuck can I not watch with my little sister even near me.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Last Hugh Alive said:
The conclusion of Death Note came to mind immediately. Without giving anything away... No, God dammit! NO!
I was gonna say the same thing....... I mean really!!!! WHY???????!!!

Mosesj

Sep 19, 2010
Pappytech said:
Nouw said:
L dying. I lost all interest after that.
I hear you, although this wasn't really an issue with the anime. It happened in the manga too.

OP: Just the difference in time between reality and events in the show. Wait, let me clarify that.

So, watching Naruto Shippuden, when Sakura is fighting Sasori (I think that's how you spell his name; it's the puppet-guy from the Akatski.) At the beginning of an episode, she injects herself with an antidote to some poison, which will last for three minutes. She then proceeds to do nothing for the rest of the episode, until 19 minutes later (Real time) she mentions that about a minute has passed.

Not cool.
you would hate that part of dragonball z when goku has a fight with freeza that's only supposed to last five minutes, and is plauged with filler. really, how do they make a five minute fight last 10 episodes?

onikage567

Sep 17, 2008
The ending to Soul Eater was so disappointing. It's still my favourite anime, but the ending was so abrupt and unsatisfying. It was like reading a very long and wonderful book and finding out that the last 5 pages were missing.

William Dickbringer

Feb 16, 2010
have to go with the bad endings that and cliff hangers that don't get addressed (I know there can be reasons (like the creator's death) but I hate not having a story being concluded but it's better than them butchering the series) gecko endings can be bad (and has been from what I've seen that used them)

and I kinda disliked Welcome to the NHK's ending
in the novel Misaki and Satou's brief romance is over in the manga there's a possibility it'll be pursued but in the anime it's left open with no indication whether or not they're gonna pursue it

Vuliev

Jul 19, 2011
I was disappointed when Great Teacher Onizuka petered out into an incredibly sappy life-lessons thing. Couldn't keep watching after the 35th episode or so.

Gaiseric

Sep 21, 2008
Ghengis John said:
I just hope they release with a little more regularity than the manga. Twelve pages every 4 months? Makes me wanna cry.
The wait can be brutal.
Casual Shinji said:
Gaiseric said:
And the last episode of Berserk just ending leaving room for a second season that never came. The movies they are making hopefully will make up for the long wait.
You could just read the comic, you know. It's in many respects way better, plus it has The Tower of Conviction arc which is the best one of the whole series.
I do(I'm on 28). I just rarely have the money for new ones.

[atomi|c|adaver]

Oct 8, 2009
I completely gave up on Naruto (Shippuden) and the later stuff from One Piece.
Any semblance of the protagonists original goal and logic were thrown out of the window.

I guess also the ending to Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack, but that was technically a movie.