what is your least favorite game that evrey one else like's

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
Crono1973 said:
Tdc2182 said:
Crono1973 said:
Ronan Gallagher said:
Terraria. Cant ANYONE see that it has Minecraft Written All over it!?
I wish it did, I bought it because I had read that it was like a 2D Minecraft. It's more like a really bad platform game where you can build if you have the patience. Last I checked (and it's been a few weeks) the game had no pause and the resolution was only 800x600. Pause has been standard since atleast 1985 (Super Mario Bros. on the NES) and how long ago was it that most PC users ran 800x600?
The problem is building is one of the few things you rarely do.

Look at it this way,

Minecraft= open world adventure game with emphasis on building structures to help you survive

Terraria= Open world Adventure game with emphasis on exploring, adventuring, and looting.

And seriously, you're comparing the graphics of these games? Last time I checked, people don't buy Minecraft to test their specs.
Perhaps you could point out where I compared graphics. Hell, I made no comparison at all much less about graphics.

I said that the pause function has been standard since atleast 1985, the devs of Terraria obviously decided that standard wasn't worth their time and 800x600 hasn't been the most used resolution for PC users for atleast 10 years. I was running 1024x768 before Win XP came out.

Releasing a game in 2011 without a pause function and running only at 800x600 is retarded when most games released in 2011 have full support for atleast 1920x1080. Resolution is not the same thing as graphics. Look it up if you didn't already know that.
Computer resolution- "The display resolution of a digital television or display device is the number of distinct pixels in each dimension that can be displayed."

Graphics- "Visual images produced by computer processing"

So yeah. You were talking about graphics in a certain sense of the word.

crazeekamikazee

Jan 6, 2011
final fantasy 7, just can't get in to it, it is the worst looking and slowest of all of them. painful to say the least.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
King Toasty said:
Andy Shandy said:
Now I know it's not even out yet, but at the moment, it's Skyrim.

Not due to anything with the actual game itself, I'm sure it'll be good, probably great, but for a lot of people it seems like the second coming of Christ. And it's not even out yet. Fair enough, judge a game properly once it's out, but some people (not here on The Escapist specifically) won't allow a single criticism about Skyrim without flying of the handle.

Note that my opinion on Skyrim is definitely likely to change when it actually gets released.
Yeah, gamers have the habit of overhyping things. And by overhyping, I mean constructing shrines out of pictures of Bethesda employees, then snorting ground-up copies of Morrowind in hopes of glimpsing into the Elder Scrolls future, just to watch some Skyrim gameplay. This is followed by scraping up enough money to preorder it, then bothering friends, family and everyone in your immediate vicinity about the game and it's many gameplay skills and magical restorative abilities to cripples.

Not that that happened. No.
Not at all. *shifty eyes*

And I totally don't know anybody at all that's like this.Not at all.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Tdc2182 said:
Crono1973 said:
Tdc2182 said:
Crono1973 said:
Ronan Gallagher said:
Terraria. Cant ANYONE see that it has Minecraft Written All over it!?
I wish it did, I bought it because I had read that it was like a 2D Minecraft. It's more like a really bad platform game where you can build if you have the patience. Last I checked (and it's been a few weeks) the game had no pause and the resolution was only 800x600. Pause has been standard since atleast 1985 (Super Mario Bros. on the NES) and how long ago was it that most PC users ran 800x600?
The problem is building is one of the few things you rarely do.

Look at it this way,

Minecraft= open world adventure game with emphasis on building structures to help you survive

Terraria= Open world Adventure game with emphasis on exploring, adventuring, and looting.

And seriously, you're comparing the graphics of these games? Last time I checked, people don't buy Minecraft to test their specs.
Perhaps you could point out where I compared graphics. Hell, I made no comparison at all much less about graphics.

I said that the pause function has been standard since atleast 1985, the devs of Terraria obviously decided that standard wasn't worth their time and 800x600 hasn't been the most used resolution for PC users for atleast 10 years. I was running 1024x768 before Win XP came out.

Releasing a game in 2011 without a pause function and running only at 800x600 is retarded when most games released in 2011 have full support for atleast 1920x1080. Resolution is not the same thing as graphics. Look it up if you didn't already know that.
Computer resolution- "The display resolution of a digital television or display device is the number of distinct pixels in each dimension that can be displayed."

Graphics- "Visual images produced by computer processing"

So yeah. You were talking about graphics in a certain sense of the word.
Seriously, you don't know the difference in resolution and graphics? Resolution is the number of pixels displayed. You can run Oblivion and Minecraft at the same resolution but they won't have the same graphics. Oblivion clearly has superior graphics and it has nothing to do with resolution.

My god! Did I just have to explain resolution to someone on the Escapist? Sad

EGtodd09

Oct 20, 2010
Half Life 2 (and 1 but to a slightly lesser extent). It's just bad and I'm sure nobody wants to see me rant why. Basically it's just soooo boring. I stopped playing after Ravenholm(?) it was so bad.

XIGBARx13

Nov 19, 2009
Dead Space. Now, I don't think it's a bad game by any means, I just find it severely overrated (I played it on my 360 btw). It's just an average survvival "horror" game with third person shooter gameplay. I will say the game's atmosphere was very well done, which I feel is the game's only impressive aspect. The biggest disappointment for me though was its so-called "scariness". The first time a Necromorph jumped out at me from a vent, yes, it made me jump a bit. The thousandth time it happened, I just rolled my eyes and proceeded to dismember it. A survival horror game that relies entirely on cheap jump-scare tactics is just a survival game. It is NOT the world's scariest game, not even close. An overrated game like this overshadows the scariest, and most underrated, game on the Xbox 360, Condemned: Criminal Origins. Comparing the two makes Dead Space look as scary as Viva Pinata.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
Ronan Gallagher said:
When I say Minecraft is written all over it I mean in the broader sense that, if minecraft was never made, im pretty sure terraria wouldn't have been made either. Im pretty sure the developers of terriaria looks at notch's update's of new patch's almost Daily, A lot of things that notch has promised but not being able to do yet show up in terraria.
And if Miner Dig Deep was never made, Minecraft would never have been made.
But now playing it for the past thirty minutes make me want to take my comment back, saying it is like minecraft shames the name of Minecraft horridly, Building a Small shelter in minecraft somewhat sparks the imagination that "Well if i put a tunnel here and then have it split over there and..." usually comes to this: "and if i make a diamond floor on the fourth floor balcony i can..." in terraria its "Im gonna build a box with a door!" usually comes to this "Im gonna build a bigger box on top of this one and make a bed!" And the difficulty curve, like usually by the third night you will be kitted out in full gold or whatever, the mines are totally natural and go down to a decent depth, keep away from the caves which you can see easily see and you'll be fine! Terraria are one Explody Bush monster away from being sued!
There's your problem. You are now expecting it to be a Minecraft clone.

Read what I told this guy.

The only time you truly need to construct something is to make rooms for the other NPC's so you can trade with them.

I've built maybe two things in Terraria, my Apartment complex for the NPC's and a platform arena so I could summon a Boss battle. (notice how everything I just mentioned in this sentence Minecraft hasn't gotten around to yet)

Are you going to tell me that any FPS after the first Halo is blatantly ripping it off just because they revolutionized FPS controls?

I'm on my 76th hour of playtime, and I'm still discovering new things. I haven't even seen half the enemies yet.

In Minecraft, You basically get all the supplies you'll ever need in the first six hours and then it becomes a case of making complex traps and bases for yourself.

LittlePineWeasel

Jun 27, 2011
I don't get "spectacle fighters", as Yahtzee calls them.

God of war, devil may cry, bayonetta, heavenly blade, Castlevania LOD, all of em... Too much juggling, too much ready-made combos, too much QTE... not enough enjoyment, for me anyway.

General Vagueness

Feb 24, 2009
Knights of the Old Republic-- I despise the kind of game that gives me a gun, lets me point it at something and fire, and then determines whether I hit it with a random number generator, and something similar goes for the rest of the combat.

eelel

May 29, 2009
For me it has to be any modern fps because other than the setting and weapons they all seem to be the same to me. How many games do we need where you can run around a map shooting people?

Pakkie

Apr 4, 2010
Fallout 3/New Vegas.
Mass effect 1, 2 and probably 3.
Bioshock 1 and 2
COD's
WOW
GOW (God of war and Gears of war series)

erm theres probably a ton more but I can't remember them right now.

Usually I only like traditional hardcore shooters like Serious Sam 3, what duke was going to be, and some elements of Bulletstorm.
+ Anything Valve makes

IWCAS

Jul 28, 2009
CoD Black Ops
Halo
Bla bla bla

Everything has been said a million times already. I think the general consensus is that we all hate CoD, Halo, and Final Fantasy. Case Closed.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
Crono1973 said:
Seriously, you don't know the difference in resolution and graphics? Resolution is the number of pixels displayed. You can run Oblivion and Minecraft at the same resolution but they won't have the same graphics. Oblivion clearly has superior graphics and it has nothing to do with resolution.

My god! Did I just have to explain resolution to someone on the Escapist? Sad
What does me being an Escapists user have to do with me knowing anything about PC terms?

You know that time when I used the definitions of graphics and resolution? Believe it or not, I did read them.

Maybe I should rephrase what I said. You're complaining about the way these games run "visually"? Last time I checked, people didn't buy Minecraft for the "visuals"

hailfire

Mar 5, 2011
final fantasy. I just could never get into the style of play, and I didn't start from the beginning, so i was really confused.

SkyHawkMkIV

May 19, 2011
jacobythehedgehog said:
Call of Duty. I really really dislike the game. And I also feel Call of Duty is the worst thing to ever come to gaming. Expessally now that it is so big
I don't like Call of Duty either. It's just not my kind of FPS. I like my FPSes to have a more unrealistic/stylized feel. However, you only hate it because it's popular. That's just stupid. It actually has brought people together who would never have otherwise. Jocks and nerds playing together in the same game? Hey, good for them. It's just not for me.

INF1NIT3 D00M

Aug 14, 2008
VikingSteve said:
Uncharted 2
Bad Company 2
Call of Duty

3 way tie, so many people love them, yet I hate them so much.
This, except I've never played any of the Uncharted games because I don't have a PS3. I never really got into battlefield, though I've tried really hard to like it and I think the Frostbite destruction is the best outside of Red Faction Guerilla. I'm willing to give it another shot just for Battlefield 3's pretty, pretty graphics. The sniping always ruined things for me, and I never EVER use vehicles in games unless I'm forced to or the vehicle IS the main character. So the huge maps just bore me to death as I cross them on foot only to get sniped for the 100th time.
Which brings me to Call of Duty. Finest Hour was one of my first PS2 games, and I loved it to death. I still remember the intro, and how sad I was when I watched the russians get mowed down by the germans. I FELT something for those faceless 1's and 0's. I loved the russian sniper chick, and that game (combined with my dad watching over my shoulder) taught me sniping tactics that have served me well in every other game to date. I remember defending the train station until you can get the tanks working again, then freaking out during the section when the germans ambushed you and your tank battalion just after you finish a tank mission, and you have to frantically hold them off until your teammates can get it fixed up. I loved every Call of Duty up until Modern Warfare 2. After that it dropped all the story and sense of meaning in favor of explosions and killstreaks. Beyond that, I really hate what the multiplayer has become, as it trades balance and fun for complete selfishness. I get that we as gamers are pretty self-centered, but this game just takes every opportunity to tell you that you're awesome, and it gets to the point that I just can't take it anymore. Also, this is the game series that convinced my little brother to buy a modified rapid-fire controller. He's started down the path to cheating, thanks to Call of Duty.

hailfire

Mar 5, 2011
Pakkie said:
Fallout 3/New Vegas.
Mass effect 1, 2 and probably 3.
Bioshock 1 and 2
COD's
WOW
GOW (God of war and Gears of war series)

erm theres probably a ton more but I can't remember them right now.

Usually I only like traditional hardcore shooters like Serious Sam 3, what duke was going to be, and some elements of Bulletstorm.
+ Anything Valve makes
wow except for the last two, you pretty much named every game I like...