What is your opinion on a Moon/Mars settlement?

Sneed's SeednFeed

Elite Member
Apr 10, 2020
Country
Azerbaijan
Pointless waste of time when we have fascist potatoes on earth to worry about and none of you are WILLING to marry neoplatonism with dialectics

Ravinoff

Elite Member
Legacy
May 31, 2012
Country
Canada
Titan has a thick Nitrogen atmosphere and plenty of ice. Might be a bit chilly for the colonists though.
Titan is an interesting one. The atmosphere is earth pressure (actually slightly above), and the combination of low gravity and high density leads to some fun possibilities like human-powered flight. Still an average temperature of -179.5C to deal with, though, and I honestly have no idea what to do with methane-ethane cryogenic seas. Definitely one of the top contenders at the moment, though.

Yoshi

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
earth was already ruined by Humans and their stupidity. we don't need another planet to suffer the fate.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
earth was already ruined by Humans and their stupidity. we don't need another planet to suffer the fate.
The universe doesn't give a shit.

It takes a sapient lifeform to care. If we want to trash thousands of planets, then (except for the needless destruction and suffering of living beings) I'm perfectly happy for humanity to do so.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
The universe doesn't give a shit.

It takes a sapient lifeform to care. If we want to trash thousands of planets, then (except for the needless destruction and suffering of living beings) I'm perfectly happy for humanity to do so.
Basically. Life has been changing and modifying planet Earth for millions of years before humans got involved.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Basically. Life has been changing and modifying planet Earth for millions of years before humans got involved.
Apparently, way, way back before chlorophyll was a thing, the world might have been covered in purple slime. Or not, I don't think it's conclusive either way at the moment.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
In the universe life is the impossible exception but ofcourse we are non-existent to the cold indifference of space. No one will mourn our passing when we're gone. In cosmic terms it would be the passing of a dust particle. Earth is the only place that can sustain human life and provide the meaning for that life to exist.
Maybe in the far, far future they will be able to build a bigger space station than the ISS but nothing remotely of a settlement. But even then you'll be resigned to a life inside a complex with very little of the comforts and amenities you're used to on earth.

I know Elon Musk has this pipe dream of mars becoming an alternative to earth but I guess all those billions must have gotten to his head. The guy is super smart and his accomplishments are beyond impressive but sometimes these people get a bit too caught up in their dreams. I wish that Japanese bloke on his rocket to mars good fortune though(if it's still going as planned).

ralfy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 21, 2008
It's best to work on conserving resources as we adjust to limit to growth.

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
I am extremely skeptical of the prospect that I will live to see either.
There are several basic scientific hurdles to overcome just to make this sort of thing technically possible (solar radiation springs to mind). I think people have put the cart way before the horse.
People who are the largest proponents of it, are, in my experience, overly romantic about the idea and often have little to no formal scientific training beyond the high school level. Not exclusively, of course.
Scientists are, of course, free to prove me wrong.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I am extremely skeptical of the prospect that I will live to see either.
There are several basic scientific hurdles to overcome just to make this sort of thing technically possible (solar radiation springs to mind). I think people have put the cart way before the horse.
People who are the largest proponents of it, are, in my experience, overly romantic about the idea and often have little to no formal scientific training beyond the high school level. Not exclusively, of course.
Scientists are, of course, free to prove me wrong.
What's wierd is that you have Elon Musk who is seemingly obsessed with it, and the man has some technical knowledge, I'll grant him that. His biggest problems seems to be that he has some knowledge of how some things works and then seems to extroplate it to "I'm excellant at everything". Kinda like how he blathers on about simulation theory probably being real or Human language being obsolete within a decade, both of which seem to be, well, a bit out there in terms of realism are concerned and not a to back up either.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
It's best to use as many resources as we can as we expand outward in all directions.
This would make sense if there was a return on expanding. We make a moon colony, it won't be giving us much back, it'll be demanding resources from Earth. The problem with trying to colonize other planets is it will demand resources from Earth, so it's not some kind of safety plan for the human race unless it's independent and imagine being independent on some hostile planet in the void of space where you're mostly stuck in your little habitat you built.

Also quite frankly, I don't see value in ensuring the human race survives. That's not to say I don't want it to, but if most of us die then most of the reason I want the human race to live dies. I don't care about the species for the sake of the species, I care about it for the living individuals in it, not some legacy.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
That's what we've been doing for decades, but we won't be able to sustain it because of limits to growth.
That's why we expand out to the rest of the solar system, and then the galaxy, until the universe is covered with humanity. Like a plague.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
That's why we expand out to the rest of the solar system, and then the galaxy, until the universe is covered with humanity. Like a plague.
If we survive the next century or two with civilization relatively intact, that might happen.

Assuming we don't nuke each other over who gets the last of the clean water and arable land first. No, I'm not particularly optimistic about our chances. We've been digging ourselves a nice grave due to shortsightness and we still have idiots in charge who want to keep digging because Global Warming is a Chinese Hoax and Oil/Coal interests have lots of money.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
No thanks. I'm not really the adventurous sort when it comes to distancing myself from the place every other human being since forever was born. Could you imagine, 4 months into the year-long trip to Mars going "Oops, I forgot something?" There's no turning around. There's no emergency response. They'll be alone and completely isolated out there, months away from humanity, not just people, humanity, facing the unknown, the only resources at hand being what they brought themselves. Yeah, no thanks; I'll stay here, you all go play Spaceman Spiff if you want to...

Tiger King

Legacy
Oct 23, 2010
Country
USA
What do we get out of it really?
it would be nice to see what's out there. Maybe we would discover new materials and elements that could help with science and industry?
then there is the off chance we discover intelligent life, that would be cool.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I'm in favor of colonization and expansion, within reason. I feel having multiple pockets of humanity is a good plan, in case anything goes completely bonkers here.

I think it's fairly feasible of a goal, though it will be long term, longer scale than most people are willing to actually operate on. The idea of working and funding a project that might not actually bear fruit in their lifetime, is fairly hard to swallow for a lot of people. It's why they never really get behind big changes to their behavior and lifestyle for the purposes of conservation, etc. When you tell them things like "if you keep doing this, things will go to shit in 50 years." they are like "yeah but, I don't give a shit about 50 years from now, I want my Mega Gulp NOW!"

But in concept, I think it's a goal we should have as a species, for growth, advancement, and hopefully enlightenment.